Worldly Music to Avoid

by Nosferatu 30 Replies latest jw friends

• dobby
    dobby

In reference to Ed's comment.

I used to think it was sooo ridiculous that witnesses I knew would not watch a show that featured a gay character or a gay actor. There seemed to be quite a bit of freaked out homophobiacs among the witnesses I have known. For example I remember folks being up in arms about the early years of "Friends" because they featured Ross' lesbian ex-wife quite a bit.

I also got a really shocked reaction from a pioneer sister when I told her I saw the movie Philadelphia and that I thought it was very good. she said " I was not interested in seeing that movie, for fear that it would make me start to feel sorry for gay people". Pretty sick.

However, I used to come back with this argument: "we all know that the bible lists homosexuals right along side fornicators, thieves etc, so if you are not gonna watch or listen to a song, that features a gay person or is performed by a gay person, you better make sure you apply that rule to any entertainment that is performed by or features people who steal, fornicate with the opposite sex, etc"

That usually shut most of them up.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    As for Puff the Magic Dragon, my P.O. has the music score for that piece up on his piano, during the book study. New Light????

Peter Yarrow has stated for the record that there was never any meaning intended to that song except the obvious one.

Hmmm...Mary Travers' daughter is a friend; perhaps I'll ask her about it next time I talk to her?

• starfish422
    starfish422

I remembered the name of the sitcom; it was called "Check It Out". Took place at a grocery store. *roll eyes* Probably Canadian.

• joenobody
    joenobody

I remember at an assembly they singled out Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral because it has themes of "beastiality". I remember stifling a laugh at that one. We used to have the bookstudy at our place and the PO conducted it. My CDs we in plain sight in a giant tower including provacative band names like "Alice In Chains". He was pretty cool though, he didn't just assume something negative about things. Saw how I had some Eric Clapton and asked to borrow it. I gladly obliged.

Edited by - joenobody on 16 January 2003 16:56:11

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I'm surprised you didn't get DFed for having a cd of an artist who performed such songs as "I Shot The Sheriff" and "Cocaine"

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Nine Inch Nails - hmmm...whatever could have been wrong with them (personal favorite)

Closer (I want to *uck you like an animal) couldn't possibly have had anything to do with it aye?!!

But its funny how they have "loosened" their standards on what can be listened too.....in my day it was pretty much "oldies" & some old trucking country. All the while, soap opera's were okay! lol

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

During the latter half of the '70's, Disco Music was considered evil. That music causes the young ones to jump up and down like monkeys and gyrate parts of the body in a stimulating and immoral way. Plus the fact that listening to disco music would make us want to go to Disco's in New York City where all sorts of drug use and sexual immorality occurs.

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

Back in the 70's, when all the "backward masking" publicity was around, my mom took ALL my albums (Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac (steve nicks was a WITCH), Styx, AC/DC, etc.) and threw them in the dumpster. I'll bet she would be shocked that I replaced almost all of them in CD's just a few years later. Devil music!

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Pettygrudger,

Maybe your mom thought that "Blinded By the Light" had some type of connection with the Watchtower's "New Light"?

• Mary
    Mary

"Hotel California" was considered pretty darn baaaaaaaaaaaad, anything by John Denver (not that anyone actually listened to him), "Call Me" by Blondie (from the movie "American Gigalo), all disco music and we were also informed that the disco lights could give you cancer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit