Worldly Music to Avoid

by Nosferatu 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I remember, one of the songs I was told was a bad song, was Bridge Over Troubled Water. Apparently, it's about drug use.

What are some of the "worldly" songs you were advised to quit listening to that seemed harmless?

Edited by - Nosferatu on 16 January 2003 13:39:50

• obiwan
    obiwan

Highway to hell by ac/dc, I guess they knew before I did.

• Dolphin57
    Dolphin57

Puff the Magic Dragon......

• jackal
    jackal

I hazily remember a WT article that said that, in addition to pop music, you should beware of classical music because "many composers led immoral lives." What does that leave? Tone-deaf songs from that godawful hymnbook? Ugh.

And hey, let's not stop there: what about literature, art, sports, etc. "Many plumbers have led immoral lives, therefore plumbing should be avoided.

• Witch Child
    Witch Child

as I understood it all worly songs were bad... I was warned specifically about "we are the world." LOL!

• starfish422
    starfish422

Gosh, I wish I was still talking to my mother; I would LOVE to ruin Bridge over Troubled Water for her...she loves Simon & Garfunkel!! :D

I remember Ozzy Osbourne being mentioned specifically in the WT or Awake in the early 80s, after that stupid kid killed himself and his even more stupid father tried to blame poor Ozzy for it. The WTBTS just about peed their pants over that one.

In the mid 80s there was a sitcom on; don't remember now what it was called but it took place in a grocery store and the guy from Get Smart was in it. Anyways, after I had been enjoying it for a few months, I was informed by my mom that I could no longer watch it because one of the people was gay; not the character, mind you, the actor!! *roll eyes*

Edited by - starfish422 on 16 January 2003 14:3:38

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

the Friendly Ghost

I knew one JW mother who would no let her kids watch any cartoons because the animals either talked (like the snake/Satan in the garden of Eden) or had "human" characteristics (somehow evil - but not sure why).

I've never been very "music savey" to begin with, so when I was in a FS car-group I started singing "I gotta get OPP!!! You know me! I gotta get OPP" I had no idea what it was about, but it seemed that all others in the car did! I had a lot of explaining to do for that one.

Edited by - Elsewhere on 16 January 2003 14:7:13

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

"Blinded by the Light" by Manfred Mann - I still don't know what those words mean - just know my mother washed my mouth out with soap when she caught me singing them! Perhaps someone else know what the heck those guys were talking about anyways???!!!!

• Valis
    Valis

Here is all you ever need to read about acceptableand unacceptable music...from the official voice of God..*LOL*

http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/2000/6/1/article_01.htm

Music That Displeases God

Not all music mentioned in the Bible pleased God. Consider the incident that occurred at Mount Sinai, where Moses was receiving the Law, including the Ten Commandments. When Moses descended the mountain, what did he hear? "Not the sound of the singing over mighty performance," "not the sound of the singing of defeat," but "the sound of other singing." This was music associated with idolatry, a practice that evoked God's displeasure and resulted in the death of about 3,000 of those music makers.Exodus 32:18, 25-28.

Although humans can compose, play, and enjoy all manner of music, it does not follow that all of it pleases God. Why not? The Christian apostle Paul explains: "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) Pagan fertility rites, the doctrine of the immortality of the human soul, and the veneration of Mary as "mother of God" are often featured as themes of musical compositions. Yet, these beliefs and practices dishonor the God of truth, for they are contrary to what is revealed in his inspired Word, the Bible.Deuteronomy 18:10-12; Ezekiel 18:4; Luke 1:35, 38.

Making a Wise Choice of Music

The choice of available music is bewildering. The covers of compact discs are designed to move customers to purchase all manner of musical recordings. But if the worshiper of God wishes to please Him, he will exercise caution and select wisely to avoid vocal and instrumental music that is inspired by false religious beliefs or that focuses on immorality and demonism.

Albert, who once served as a Christian missionary in Africa, admits that he had little opportunity to play the piano there. He did, however, listen over and over again to the few long-playing recordings he had taken with him. Back in his home country, Albert now visits Christian congregations as a traveling overseer. His time for listening to music is limited. "My favorite composer is Beethoven," he observes. "Through the years, I have collected recordings of his symphonies, concertos, sonatas, and quartets." Listening to these has brought him a great deal of enjoyment. Of course, each person has his own taste in music, but as Christians we bear in mind Paul's counsel: "Whether you are eating or drinking or doing anything else, do all things for God's glory."1 Corinthians 10:31.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• acsot
    acsot
    I was informed by my mom that I could no longer watch it because one of the people was gay

I had previously posted in another topic that we were once informed we couldn't watch figure skating any more because one of the skaters was gay (only one??). sheesh, as if he and his lover were doing it on the ice in front of 15,000 people.

As for Puff the Magic Dragon, my P.O. has the music score for that piece up on his piano, during the book study. New Light????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit