NEW Bill Bowen & J.R. Brown Article!

by UnDisfellowshipped 22 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

I have highlighted the parts about Bill Bowen and J.R. Brown in red.

http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2003/01/15/ke011503s349714.htm

The Courier-Journal, January 15th 2003:

Bill eases path for child sex-abuse suits
    Kentucky Senate measure would end statutes of limitations
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Peter Smith and Deborah Yetter
    The Courier-Journal

A bill filed in the Kentucky Senate would remove statutes of limitations on lawsuits alleging felony child sexual abuse -- allowing people to sue alleged abusers and their employers no matter how long ago abuse might have occurred.

The bill would be retroactive and could have a dramatic impact on the 200 lawsuits pending against the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Louisville, according to legal observers.

It could lower the legal hurdles that plaintiffs face in seeking damages for alleged abuse dating as far back as the 1950s, and make it easier for plaintiffs to sue individual defendants, in addition to the church and civic and governmental organizations that employ them.

The bill was filed by Sen. R. J. Palmer II, D-Winchester.

Sen. David Karem, D-Louisville, one of the co-sponsors, said it is primarily aimed at the cases of people who allege they were sexually abused as children by clergy, although it would apply to all abuse cases.

He said the volume of cases pending against the Archdiocese of Louisville has heightened awareness of the scope of the problem.

''I think it is very compelling public policy to look at this issue and provide some relief to victims,'' Karem said.

Palmer said he decided to sponsor the bill in hopes of making organizations such as the church more accountable. ''I think it's just time we sent a message -- at least in the state of Kentucky -- that we're not going to tolerate harboring a molester,'' he said.

Sen. R. J. Palmer II, DWinchester filed a Senate bill to end statutes of limitations on child sex-abuse suits.

Karem said he expects debate on the matter, but ''there's a good shot that some form of this will get through.''

Sen. Johnny Ray Turner, D-Drift, also co-sponsored the bill, which is pending in the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Sen. Robert Stivers, R-Manchester, chairman of the Judiciary Committee, did not return a call seeking comment.

A similar law took effect Jan. 1 in California after passing unanimously in that state's legislature. It temporarily lifted statutes of limitations for one year and is expected to result in hundreds of new lawsuits against Catholic dioceses in that state.

Vincent Senior, executive director of the Catholic Conference of Kentucky, the church's lobbying arm, said yesterday that he doesn't believe it will oppose lifting the statutes of limitations.

''We think about the victims, too,'' he said. ''We obviously want to get the issue behind us.''

But Senior said his organization, which represents Kentucky's four dioceses, is concerned about other sections of the bill, which would require a clergy member to break the confidentiality of confession by another clergy member to report to authorities any confession of child sexual abuse.

Sen. David Karem, D-Louisville, is one co-sponsor.

''That obviously goes against our faith,'' he said.

The Senate bill's provision on confidentiality in a clergy-to-clergy confession is more limited than that of a pending House bill, filed by Rep. Susan Westrom, D-Lexington. Westrom's bill would effectively require clergy to break the confidentiality of anybody's confession, if necessary, to report child abuse, which all citizens are required by law to report.

Archdiocesan spokeswoman Cecelia Price said yesterday that the archdiocese would defer comment about the proposed law to the Catholic Conference of Kentucky.

Under the statutes of limitations established in Kentucky current laws, an alleged victim of child sexual abuse can only file a lawsuit against the accused perpetrator within five years after turning 18, or against the perpetrator's employer within one year after turning 18.

Virtually all lawsuits against the archdiocese date back further than that. Attorney William McMurry, who represents more than 175 of the plaintiffs, is arguing that statutes of limitations don't apply because he contends the archdiocese knew about the alleged abuse and covered it up.

''What is so vitally important in this legislation is that it eliminates the need to establish that there was knowledge about a particular priest that was not reported to the police in order to overcome the statute of limitations issues,'' McMurry said.

McMurry also said it would make an easier path for approximately 40 of his plaintiffs, who allege abuse before 1964, the year Kentucky first passed a law requiring all citizens to report child abuse to police.

''It would eliminate any discussion of whether the victims from 1964 on had better cases than victims before 1964,'' he said.

The bill is ''a fantastic piece of legislation,'' said Susan Archibald, president of The Linkup, a Louisvillebased national organization that advocates on behalf of victims of sexual abuse by clergy. Archibald said many victims don't come to terms with their trauma for years or decades afterward.

''There's no statutes of limitations for the burden and suffering that the victims carry,'' she said.

Bill Bowen of Benton, Ky., founder of a support group for victims of sexual abuse with the Jehovah's Witnesses, also supported the bill.

''It's about time,'' said Bowen, head of the group Silentlambs. ''All states should enact the same legislation.''

Samuel Marcosson, an associate law professor at the University of Louisville, said the bill would make a ''huge'' difference in such lawsuits.

The bill would ''broaden the current ability of a plaintiff to file a lawsuit because there would be no need to make any showing about concealment'' by a church or other employer, Marcosson said.

And it could enable plaintiffs to file suits directly against the alleged perpetrator, he said. Currently most lawsuits against the archdiocese name only the church as a defendant, not the individual priests accused of abuse.

The Rev. Nancy Jo Kemper, executive director of the Kentucky Council of Churches, said her organization does not have a formal position on the statutes of limitations, but she said it remains skeptical of efforts to remove the clergy-confidentiality clauses. The council represents 10 Protestant denominations as well as the Catholic Church in Kentucky.

Spokesman J. R. Brown of the New York-based Jehovah's Witnesses said the church would follow any new laws passed by the legislature.

''We do recognize that it often takes years for a victim to come forward for many different factors,'' said Brown. ''If legislators feel that more time is needed (in statutes of limitations) and this will work to benefit a victim, then we would see this as something that could work to the advantage of many.''

Brown said the church prefers to have clergy-confidentiality laws remain but would follow any state laws requiring the reporting of abuse.

As reported by The Courier-Journal in 2001, the Jehovah's Witnesses have been accused in lawsuits around the country of concealing sexual abuse by its members. Church officials have disputed such claims, saying they obey all laws requiring the reporting of child abuse and do not interfere with police investigations.

Kentucky has no statutes of limitations for criminal felonies, which has enabled prosecutors to charge two priests in the Archdiocese of Louisville -- Louis E. Miller and James Hargadon -- on allegations of decades-old abuse. A third priest, Daniel C. Clark, is also awaiting trial on allegations of more recent abuse.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

comment made by JR Brown

"Church officials have disputed such claims, saying they obey all laws requiring the reporting of child abuse and do not interfere with police investigations."

now compare that comment to what happened in the police investigation of the sexual abuse of Simon Brady who was in the Rubry congregation, Birmingham, England.

BETSAN POWYS (BBC REPORTER): The police did believe him, and they tracked down a second boy who'd been abused by Patty. But what happened next caused them serious concern. An elder confronted the victim's father, calling the man's son a liar. The father complained to the police, who warned the elder to stay away from the victim's families. His excuse was that, as an elder, he had every right to investigate the case for himself.

SERGEANT STEVE COLLEY (WEST MIDLANDS POLICE): He felt it was his duty to test the evidence prior to the court case. I advised him that if that sort of behaviour continued, then if an allegation had been formally made, then I would have to investigate that particular person for offenses to pervert the course of justice, and in fact witness intimidation. The conversation did get a little bit heated towards the end, but obviously I'd a duty to protect my complainants and witnesses to the case. I made sure and sent out the signal that I was prepared to protect them and take drastic steps, i.e. arresting people, if they breached that.

"Lies, lies, lies, lies, lies. Sorry i can not tell you anything else. All our other lies are confidential."

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Can you believe this crap ....

''We do recognize that it often takes years for a victim to come forward for many different factors,'' said Brown.

I guess Brown "noser" forgot to mention that if suvivors did come forward they would be df'ed and it wasn't until last year tha the JWs finally changed the policy to allow survivors to go to the authorities!!!!!!

But you know guys a lot of people miss this .... the courts in Canada have ruled that these judicial hearings are NOT privilaged. They are, according to the courts, evidence gathering missions only and thus, when requried, elders and others must disclose the evidence. Canada and the USA are very similar in their common law approaches - again something missed by so many.

So .... if the governments in these 34 US states actually started doing a little research into the friggen case law they would have the JWs by the "balls".

Of course it would be nice if the JWs started doing the right thing but .... all they care about is selling magazines and will only change if magazine revenue drops!

hawk

• Dacke
    Dacke

"I guess Brown "noser" forgot to mention that if suvivors did come forward,

they would be df'ed and it wasn't until last year tha the JWs finally changed

the policy to allow survivors to go to the authorities!!!!!!"

This is a lie. I know of a pedo case in New Zealand that was taken to

the worldly authorities over 10 years ago.

Offender to jail. Victim suffered no DFD or anything.

Remember that next time you talk about JW "policy".

The conspiracy theory doesn't hold.

JW RULES!!!

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I guess you forgot the evidence in the Berry Case, Erica case and the Fitzwater cases (where everything was put in writing). All three men are in jail and still JWs in good standing with advocates df'ed and survivors shunned.

Of course you have also forgetten all the Body of Elders letters as well.

Of course there are cases that did not follow the policy Dacke .... which you cite (without giving a proper reference) but the JW leadership's policy was as I stated and for you to say different is actually an out and outright lie.

hawk

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

As dacke pointed out there are cases within the WT that swing both ways. I personally know of similar cases within the US. Back in the late 80's an entire congregation body of elders was removed because of thier failure to properly handle the case of a pediphile ministerial servant in the congregation. The pediphile was reported to the authorities and convicted and df'd. This of course was long before the silent lambs movement. Such actions by the WT could help them in their defense. The way the hiarchy runs- with each congregation being like a franchise of the org- each an independant entitiy that freely chooses to follow WT policy- may create the dismantling of local congregations or restructuring in the least. But the WT can prove that over the years they have taken action that supports their publicly stated policies in such cases. The other cases they will claim are where local bodies of elders failed to follow official policy. Not saying that this is true in the realistic sense- but I do beleive that this is how they will handle any suits in this regard. The locals will be the ones to pay the price for any WT blunders. The cases where they did act appropriately will be hightlighted to prove thier point. Regardless of what the WT legal department may have verbaly stated in directing local elders in such cases they will now turn on them and point to their printed material and their more positive cases.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

If you go back and review the Boer trial and read the Keyes decision out of Maine, you will actually see how the agents and corporations are linked, how the policy and decision making plays a role and how the WTS and its corporations are actually attempting to defend their positions.

Edited to add - I believe in addition to the above you should review the Berry, Erica, Fitzwater and Oregon Claims. Together all of this can help you understand how the chain of command/policy issues work and likely defences.

hawk

Edited by - hawkaw on 16 January 2003 15:15:46

• Mulan
    Mulan

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

This is for Dacke, and kelsey007:

The Watchtower Organization is....

A HIERARCHY!

What is a hierarchy?

Merriam-Webster Definition:

A ruling body of clergy organized into orders or ranks each subordinate to the one above it

All Overseers and Elders are appointed by, and can be removed by, the Governing Body and the people directly below the Governing Body.

Edited by - UnDisfellowshipped on 16 January 2003 15:20:28

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Dacke...I don't think your tone was very Christian of you...and what's with the devil figures at the bottom of your post..shame shame.

You'll never hear me say that all pedophile cases are handled the same way by the Witnesses...'cause they are not...but my siblings and I were never told it was a crime from the 70s-early 80s..I had to find that out reading a worldly Ann Landers' letter when I was 17. And yes, I didn't experience the Elders' punishing me for going to the police but god, how many times did I hear, "We didn't know it was against the law."

Especially members of the congregation would say "Why are you using the worldly system for justice?" They weren't to fussy on me doing interviews either.

Being right is the name of my game. I want to see sensitivity for victims and survivors. I want victims to be told what is happening to them is a crime and these are your options. How can people live with themselves knowing children are being sexually abused and not do anything to help them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit