Did you ever want to 'cross your heart' as a kid?

by Beck_Melbourne 16 Replies latest jw friends

• kelpie
    kelpie

I always used to say, cross my heart hope to die...

or I swear before Jehovah that I am telling the truth (when I was lying through my teeth)

hehehe

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I used to sing the national anthem when no one was looking.

I used to say the lords prayer at school assembly when no one was looking.

I sometimes used to say 'oh my god'.

And I even played competitive sports from time to time.

Ahhh...that feels better now that I've got all that off my chest. Oh tis wonderful to have a clear conscience - finally!

~Beck~

• Francois
    Francois

Brummie, you're right; the Ring Around the Rosie thing was a sort of children's reverse-hex on the Bubonic Plague in London. The "pocket full of posies" resulted from the belief that having a pocket full of flower blooms, which smelled good, would ward off the plague. The fact that it so frequently did not work as advertised would cause "all [to] fall down" in the end. Of course, they didn't know anything about germ theory at the time and were killing the very thing [cats] out of superstition, that could have actually helped them, by killing rats, which were the real vector. More about this can be found in James Rutherford's novel, "London." And it's a good read, too.

Beck, I can fully believe that even as a child, you really got excited by getting as close as you could to some forbidden activity only to run away as fast as you could at the very last second, like you were about to touch a hot stove. You big kidder, you.

francios

Edited by - francois on 16 January 2003 8:18:32

• Kep
    Kep

Beck !!!

Hows you say the Lord's Prayer at School, and sing the anthem, and "oh my God" !!

Man, you are so lucky I never saw or heard you. There I was getting bailed up at school by a teacher for not standing to sing the anthem, and you were at the back singing away.....

As for Wanda... JESUS, you wont let me live that one down aye...

I wasn't allowed to have a real girlfriend, one from school. Even my sister wouldn't hook me up with her mates.. but it was alright for her to sing the national anthem....

What's up with that **** ??

Edited by - Kep on 16 January 2003 15:32:17

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne
    only to run away as fast as you could at the very last second, like you were about to touch a hot stove.

Frank, I have scars on my fingertips from the last HOT stove I tried to touch...I kid you not!

Even my sister wouldn't hook me up with her mates..

Kep...ermmm...wasn't Wanda one of your sister's mates?? LOL...you should've snapped her up when you had the chance brother.

~Beck~

• found
    found

Yes!

Used to hate it when someone would sneeze and I couldn't say "bless you". I was working with this guy in an office with just the two of us in there and every time I would sneeze he would say "bless you". Then anytime he would sneeze I wouldn't say anything, it felt so rude! Also, not doing "cheers" with your glass (not that it came up very much due to the bad association rule, but worldly relatives weddings or whatever). And no "good luck" to someone when it was appropriate either. Saying "break a leg" just doesn't quite get it out of the acting arena!

• found
    found

Brummie, I didn't know checkers or chess was taboo. My dad who is still an elder is a huge chess player! We always did the cross your fingers too---some things slipped by us I guess!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit