Did you ever want to 'cross your heart' as a kid?

by Beck_Melbourne 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

What are some of things you were deprived of as a jw kid that were not all that bad?? I remember when other kids would say 'cross your heart or hope to die' as an act of truthfulness. I don't know the origin...but it seemed harmless enough. But not for us kids...we were never allowed to say it, because Jesus didn't die on a cross don't ya know. So secretly, I used to say it, but I would only do the downward vertical stroke down the chest, and not the horizontal stroke across...how silly was that...but I felt like I wasn't being completely wicked this way.

As time went on I used to 'compromise' with my conscience on other things, like saying "have a happy new year" whenever someone would wish me a merry xmas. I hadn't actually wished them a merry xmas...but it was as close as I could go.

Did you have moments in life where you weren't quite crossing over the borderline into the 'forbidden' zones - but you sort of 'hovered'??

~Beck~

Edited by - beck_melbourne on 15 January 2003 22:46:32

• Marcos
    Marcos

Hey Beck,

I don't know, may be a cultural thang but we used to cross our hearts and hope to die to seal up a promise or to affirm that something was absolutely true. The motion was an "X" across the heart.

As far as the witnesses, I never heard it discussed nor did it ever come up in my presence. But, I suppose we were "fringies". Heh, heh.

Marcos

• Kep
    Kep

I was deprived of having a girlfriend... does that count ??

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Buggered if I know what happened LOL...I just remember these words "don't do the cross cos Jesus died on a torture stake".

I suppose we were "fringies".

Man I wish I were bought up fringie LOL. Wanna swap mums Marcos?

~Beck~

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne
    I was deprived of having a girlfriend... does that count??

Do you mean sister Wanda?? I didn't know you wanted her to be your girlfriend Kep

Does she still use the bottom of coke bottles for bi-foculs?

~Beck~

• JNS2
    JNS2

I just wanted to "knock on wood" doggone it!!!

• Brummie
    Brummie

I remember one of the kids getting told of for saying "cross your heart and hope to die", your right, it was forbidden...also crossing fingers was pagan...lol

Oh ya, we couldnt play draughts (checkers) and that used to get right on my pip cus I liked it...I recently brought the game and still enjoy it. I also had to tell a guy I studied with that he couldnt go fishing unless he was going to eat them, because fishing for sport was also banned. Lets face it, EVERYTHING was pagan or just forbidden.

Brummie

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I didn't know that about checkers...my mum let that one slip through because we used to play it I always wanted to play Dungeons and Dragons

'knock on wood' or 'touch wood'...yeah me too.

Ring of rosie was another one...it was supposed to have something to do with witch craft or superstitious omens. I still played it...ignorance is bliss.

~Beck~

• Brummie
    Brummie

Yep Beck, checkers & Chess are war games and totally forbidden by the WTS...unless they stressed things more in UK than in ozzie land.

Ring O roses? That's song is to do with the bubonic (sp) plague that killed millions, nothing to do with witch craft, something else they got wrong I guess.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

"Ring of rosies..a pocket full of posies"

Weren't the posies some kind of charm to ward off evil at that time?? I can only vaguely recall that article.

I do remember the chess game rule being declared a war game come to think of it...I guess that means Metal of Honour play station game is out then.

~Beck~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit