What about praying NOW???

by JNS2 31 Replies latest jw friends

• JNS2
    JNS2

Now that my decision to leave the organization is made, there is definitely a sense of relief. I know I'm leaving a controlling organization, not my faith in God.

So I'm still praying at various times during the day, but it has become a very odd thing now. I'm not sure who I'm praying to. It's a strange experience to start to pray to Jehovah but then have all the thoughts of being a JW come flooding in. I've tried changing my prayer to Yahweh, & I've tried just God, but it seems so strange.

Has anybody had these unsettling thoughts & resolved them? Is this just another thing that gets settled over time?

• yucca
    yucca

pray to Jesus. he is the mediator. Ask him to help you get thru this and show you the way. Jesus will help you. god bless yucca

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Go shoppng until the urge to pray passes.

Buy now, pray later.

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 15 January 2003 11:12:16

• Truth2Me
    Truth2Me

Hi JNS2,

I went through that too....in fact, my situation was a little different, I didn't pray for over a year because I felt that God didn't want to have anything to do for me. (I was Df'd)

But, I eventually did pray again...usually I start a conversation with God with "dear Heavenly Father"....and I end it with "in Jesus's name, Amen" But I talk to/with God all the time, informally and formally....I don't think it matters so much what he call him/her/it.....it's just that we are trying to communicate with him/her/it.

I believe that God/Jehovah/Yahway....hears our prayers, and I've seen him respond to mine so many times I know that he does listen, and it doesn't seem to matter weather I approached him as Lord, or God, or Jehovah or heanenly father....whatever I said, he heard it.

So I'd say just go with whatever feels comforable for you, and yes, with time you will feel better, I know I have.

Truth2Me

• Introspection
    Introspection

What you're experiencing shows that you've been praying to a thought in your head that the JWs put there, basically. It's not to say that your intentions aren't good - which I'm sure it is, but you see it's all been just concepts hasn't it? It's been one part of your own mind talking to another part, only because your spirituality has been so dominated by ideas and thoughts.

For what it's worth, here is one perspective. For myself, I don't have to use words if I pray. (words are only thoughts and ideas humans came up with aren't they? Nothing wrong with them either, just don't get hung up on them) And there's also the other side of having a dialogue, listening. Now mind you, by the same token I'm not saying you should be hearing a voice in your head either, but I'll leave it up to you to determine the different ways one might listen to God. It's been said that prayer is talking to God, and meditation is listening to God. I say there's no need to focus on technique when it comes to meditation either, (or even the word meditation, it's just a word) just sit and listen. Of course, you may find those old patterns of thinking and feeling arising within yourself so that a lot of noise is coming from within, just let that be too. Just recognize that stuff as what's been drilled into you over the years - you might not want them to be coming up, but you don't have to believe them.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

When I was df'd some twenty years ago, I went through many months of not only not praying, but hating God with a passion. I felt totally betrayed and abandon.

Eventually I started praying again, not using the name Jehovah, as it conjured up painful mental images of a vengeful and savage god. Then years later I could use the name Jehovah, it actually had a nice ring; but it still came with a mental image of some "thing" distant and far away.

Presently, in prayer, I use the title "Beloved". And I focus attention not out and away, but into my heart. That intimate place where there is a bitter-sweet ach for connection. Connection to wholeness and peace.

JamesT

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

Hi Introspection,

Do you know Roy M.?

Stan

• JH
    JH

I also find it very strange praying Jehovah, while not being with the JW's. I often think that Jehovah must not be listening to my prayer, because I am not acting like a JW. The religion and the name seem to go together.

Who came back doing the sign of the cross before praying?

Edited by - jh on 15 January 2003 12:53:56

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

I go through my normal routine and that is, I give daily thanks to my Creator. I'm happy and content.

Guest 77

• auntiem
    auntiem

I think we all have experianced what you are going through. Don't worry, something will strike a chord within you and you will know it when it happens and you will either feel comfortable to pray or not to pray. I have found that I feel most connected to god is when I am in a truely beautiful place outside. When I am there outside it doesn't matter what gods name is because I can feel that connection. I think that all humankind is connected together to god and that not being connected is an illusion that we buy into, and as long as we live and breathe we remain connected. I have gone back to my Native American roots as far as worship is concerned and I do believe in the creator of all things seen and unseen. Maybe you need to do some inward search and see what is in there. Throw away the stuff that causes pain and negativity and get down to the REAL you. Ask god to help you feel connected...in time it will be apparent to you what is best for YOU and not what others think is right for you.

Healing Hugs!

aUnTiE M

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit