Why So Many Magazines?

by JH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• hannibal
    hannibal

"repetition is the mother of retension"

And to keep the flock busy with'spiritual food' and not wondering off to 'worldly' influences. Like my mom would say if she say me reading anything not from the FDS " have you caught up on all your watchtowers? NO. How do you have time to read that?"

• detective
    detective

Actually this brings me to a question I have meant to ask recently. Reading through their KMs and such, it appears that they often encourage "publishers" to refer to older articles. If a "publisher" doesn't have an older article, what does he/she do then? Are they really expected to have all those old magazines lying around? If they don't, are they supposed to buy them again or can they borrow someone else's copy?

Personally, I think it's a pretty good way to ensure double sales on the magazines. A person would have to buy a copy of their own on the off chance it will get referenced again in the future, as well as buying for distribution purposes.

Then again, I've never been a JW so I don't really know.

How does this work?

• blondie
    blondie

Detective, I assume you are not or never were a JW. At the end of every calendar year, JWs can order bound volumes of the magazines for that year. Otherwise some keep a copy in a binder. That way they can refer back to older issues. There are indexes printed every year as well. Then there are the WT-CDs. No, JWs are expected to keep at least one copy of every issue for their library and/or order the bound volumes. Since these are free of charge (donations made anonymously to the contribution box now), there is no built in ability to gather in more money this way.

Blondie

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Keep one submissive group busy, reading the mindset, maintaining the WT mould on their heads, feeling superior and spiritual, exclaiming: Wasnt that a timely article in the latest Tower.

This in turn keeps the other less submissive group, who doesnt read all the mind control articles, in check, by making them feel guilty and inferior: Duh, no, I havent got around to that article yet, duh

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

In this day and age, you'd think the JW's would get with the program and stop putting all that emphasis on those stupid mags(and all of their litterature for that matter). Why won't they buy some TV time and start preaching that way? They'd certainly reach more people that way, no? I never met a soul who really gave a damn about those magazines and considered them special in any way(except for dumb dubs). They should be ashamed and embarrased for hawking those magazines in modern times where media technology could really promote their cause. That is, assuming they truly care about peoples eternal lives

To the writing of many books, there is no end. Have you ever heard a scripture that applied so well??

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

It's simple ...

Let's see, 4 mags per month. Let's say the pubs get an average of 4 copies of each mag for FS work. Then let's assume 100 pubs per congo. So that's 400 copies of each mag per month * 4 mags per month = 1600 mags per month for ONE congo. Average .25 per mag donation. That's $400 per congo per month. Lot's of assumptions in the above, but the math is easy to do.

Chakka: yes you'd think so but they cannot charge for TV spots can they? If (when) they figure out how to make a JW only TV channel financialy viable (read profitable) they would do so in a heartbeat.

• longtimeout
    longtimeout

Because this is what the WTB&TS does. It prints stuff. Lots of it. Amway distributes household cleaning products. The Borg publishes books and magazines. It needs to keep the rank and file busily engaged as unpaid salespeople. It's always about the MONEY!

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

There are a lot of pet owners who have birds and those things make good bird cage liners. Even better, they get delivered right to their door at no charge. Only problem is, I think my bird is becoming a JW. Yesterday when I fed him, he would not eat while I was close. Then the next day he wouldn't talk when I was near, complete shunning! So I might need to change the liner to newspapers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit