AMERICANS!! A Brit needs help

by searcher 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Searcher,

They won't let you bring your machete on the plane, so you'll have to make do with just a compass and a flashlight.

In general, the nation is criss-crossed with inter-state bus services, which is probably the least expensive way to travel, with the advantage that you get to actually see some of the country (at 55 mph) rather than flying 6 miles over it. The disadvantage to buses is that for some reason the bus terminals are generally located in the less desirable parts of whatever town they're in. Most hotels will provide linens, towels, even complimentary soap and shampoo. Many now have indoor plumbing and 'lectricity, a telephone in each room, cable TV, a swimming pool and an exercise room.

Remember that the USA is a HUGE place - 3,000 miles (4,800 km). The bus itself is likely to be larger than some of the smaller european nations, and Alaska is a planet unto itself.

Where are you hoping to visit?

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 15 January 2003 0:22:48

• avishai
    avishai

Hate to advertise, but the "entertainment" book is great, each regional one has a card in the back that gets you 1/2 off at tons of hotels nationwide. http://www.entertainment.com has them for sale. Also youth hostels are pretty cheap, if your gonna be in N California, gimme a write, I might be able to put you up! avishai

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Drop me an e-mail if you plan on visiting New Orleans. I'll be moving to Germany in August if I can be of assistance prior to then,no problems.

In any case I hope you have a blast.

PS Don't worry about towels as most hotels provide them for you. That is if you like 'em small and scratchy.

• Navigator
    Navigator

Searcher

July is not a good month to come to Texas, but we would be glad to see you if you come to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I think Valis has a map showing where all of us live. Bus travel is the cheapest way to travel, but it is the last refuge of the "great unwashed" and, as has been mentioned, the terminals are not always in the best parts of town. Train travel might be more pleasant; You can't begin to see the USA in a month, but you can make a start. The best part of any country is the people and you already have many, many friends here. I would be pleased to show you the local sights if you come this way. Are you coming alone?

• searcher
    searcher

Thanks to all who have replied so far, i will be emailig later.

I will be coming over alone, the month of july is not hard and fast,

I could maybe stay longer....depends on finances.

searcher.

Having had invites from Canadians, and thinking about the heat thing, maybe I should start in Canada and go south ?

searcher.

Edited by - searcher on 15 January 2003 1:14:45

• aluminutty
    aluminutty

That's a tall order. I mean, without more input from you, it would be an impossible task to plan a good trip for you. Do you like the sea and bathing, and if so are sandy white sun bather speckled beaches your thing, or does bold, rocky senery-rich coastline strike your fancy. Are mountains, perhaps, your thing, instead? If mountains, rugged stark and majestic, or once jagged peaks, now gentled by the gnarled hands of age and time. Do you prefer cities, or rural settings? Do you do monuments and museums, or shun those things as stuffy and tiresome choosing nightlife and a party scene. Tell us.

Your planning to concor a great beast of a country -- meant in a good way <grin>. Your dealing with a land area much larger than all of europe and the british isles put together. Complicating matters further -- or making them more interesting depending on your perspective -- is the fact that the states has a more varied topography and climate than does europe. If your trip is a once-in-a-lifetime event therefore, I'd want you to tell us what you would like to do while you plan to be in the states. Also, and if anything more importantly, aproximately how much money are you prepaired to spend on food/lodging/events/transportation. Knowing these variables will help us to give you great suggestions. All that aside, here are some general, off the cuff, suggestions:

Check out our nation's capital on and about July 4th, our independence day. Special events and fireworks are sure to fill the air.

Sanfransisco is one of the greatest citys in the world, check it out! Wonderful food, living history, vibrent as a cathedral bell, and chilly and foggy to boot, even in July, so you'll feel right at home. <grin> (I don't live there, BTW, but I have visited San Fransisco once,; I was hooked.)

You of course, have to see New York City: tour Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, watch a broadway play, visit the empire state building the Bronx Zoo and/or Wall Street, eat a real bagel, tramp china town, or a path in central park durring the day. pee on the sidewalk . Do the New York thing.
    Visit eather Yosemite or Yellow Stone. Their awesome.
    Las Vegas, Its sin, and glitz, money, glitz, decadence, and money, and glitz, did I say glitz, and aptly enough hot as HE double hockey sticks, too.

The suggestions on the board from the Pacific NW, and the South FL are are wonderful, too. Take them up on their offers of help. If you like the outdoors, and wild things and nature, the pacific North West is the place to be. Hiking, rafting, you name it, if its an outdoor sport you love, you won't be disapointed.

If you visit Miami, go to Key West, too. Key West might be more than a day trip, though. Overnight.

Train and bus travel in the states quite frankly isn't nearly up to European standards. Don't even expect what you are used to. I'm not saying to be scared, I am saying you won't be impressed, in the least.

An organized overland motor coach tour may be an option for you for some of the trip.

If you rent a car, you'll of course have to get used to driving on the opisit side of the road. But, if you're over 25, which I know you are, it may be a good option, and can be cheaper than you might think. Consider rent-a-wreck. While our interstate mass transit systems may not be the world's best, our interstate highway system is quite good and easy to follow.

Don't forget Alaska and Hawaii, but if you plan to visit, don't plan to stay less than a week in eather location. A week is probibly way too minimalist, at that.

Hotels can be cheap and more than adaquit, or cheap and crummy as hell. Expect your own bath/shower, lav, and toilet in each hotel room, fresh soap, and shampoo/conditioner, plus towels and wash cloths changed dayly and linnons, more often these days, dayly upon request only. Most hotels will have cable/satellite television in room with phones which *sometimes have free local area phone calls. You'll usually also get a crappy AM/FM radio with alarm, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, and coffee maker with coffee. take n adapter for any electrical apliances. 120 volt alternating current in the states. Different wall plug than you are used to; you'll need an adapter. If you can arrange transportation, hotels farther out from city centers are always more economical.

I've got tuns more suggestions. Just ask and tell.

And if Cincinnati Ohio and surrounds are interesting to you. Drop us an E-mail, that's my wife Bobsgirl or me, and we'll be of any help we can.

• Been there
    Been there

Yes Searcher, more input is needed. There is enough of us over here to make your trip pleasant. We could get the Cincinnati area together and have a little shindig. Starting from one end of the country we could pass you along like the olympic torch all the way to the other side of the country. You could save alot of money that way too. Everyone is right though, July and August are the most muggy unbearable months. New York, Washington DC - up into Canada,Quebec-Toronto-Niagra falls- over to Winnepeg-Down into Minnesota- any one in Chicago?- Thru Cincinnati - Down into Tennessee - Into Florida - Over to Texas (thats a week right there in Texas) up thru California - to San Fansico - up into Washington State etc. etc......................

• Navigator
    Navigator

Searcher

August is even hotter than July all over the USA. If you can manage to make it in June, the weather will be more tolerable. Aluminutty is right about bus and train travel not being up to European standards. The northwest is nice all summer long. I heard the Eman is coming to Florida in April and Little toe in March. Don't bite off more than you can chew. The USA is a huge place. I do hope that you will have Dallas/Ft. Worth on your agenda.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Searcher:

You might want to check out Lonely Planet http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ for some travel ideas and places to go.

They also have quite a good chat board http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/categories.cfm?catid=26 for the US where you can ask other travellers their advice.

Oh, and never go anywhere without one towel. Never. If you can fit in a flannel too, you'll be virtually indestructible.

Expatbrit

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Expatbrit said,

If you can fit in a flannel too...

A flannel what?

Navigator correctly points out that bus travel may not be the answer you're looking for. Train travel can be very pleasant, especially on the long stretches under spacious skies and through the fruited plain, the purple mountains' majesty and amber waves of grain.

Plus, you won't have to man the oars in the galley, as you would on the bus.

But it still ain't "The Orient Express."

You may want to consider dividing the country up into six or so regions and really get to know one region at a time - then you can write a book about it! There are so many kinds of things to see - the geography - the "lay of the land", the natural attractions - like Yellowstone (which is also a ticking timebomb of geothermal destruction), the character and architecture of the cities. If only there were fewer god-damned people!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit