What if they woke up all at the same time?

by JH 20 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Often we had threads that said, "What if we are wrong"? But lets reverse the question and ask, "What would happen if they realized that they were completely wrong"?

Imagine 6 million people not knowing where to look anymore for spiritual guidance. What do you think would happen if 6 million witnesses all of a sudden realized that they were serving a false religion?

Edited by - JH on 14 January 2003 18:54:48

• Simon
    Simon

Kind of like "what would happen if everyone decided to visit the same place on a bank holiday?"

I could happen ... in theory - but in practice it's unlikely.

However, there could reach a 'critical mass' of people leaving where it seems to people in a local cong that "everyone is leaving" and of course, the more that leave, the easier it is for more to leave (without having to sacrifice friendships etc.)

It's hardest for the first ones to leave and gradually gets easier.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

then there would be 12(or however may there are on the GB) very unhappy men!

• Brumm
    Brumm

What do you think would happen if 6 million witnesses all of a sudden realized that they were serving a false religion?

This happened with the "Plain Truth" Church Of God religion, it joined mainstream christendom and shocked the whole bandwagon...It was very similar to JWs in doctrine and structure. Devastating stuff but people survive. I guess there would be plenty of splinter groups set up to cope with the aftermath.

Brumm

• JH
    JH

Imagine all the work for Simon, if 6 million people joined this group

• onacruse
    onacruse
    there could reach a 'critical mass' of people leaving

That raises an interesting speculation. What would probably be a critical mass? The late 70s-early 80s saw a departure of several hundred thousand (counting DFs, DAs, and inactives), or about 20% (if I recall the numbers correctly). The late 20s apparently saw a loss of between 40-70%.

I would guess, just for the sake of discussion, that a 25% loss would be the catalyst for a major paradigm shift in the WTS.

Any other guesses?

Craig

• Oreopandabear
    Oreopandabear
    "What do you think would happen if 6 million witnesses all of a sudden realized that they were serving a false religion?"

Thousands of families would be reunited. Oreo

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

And have one big apostate party? Hmmm, to much of a stretch, don't you think?

Guest 77

• Flip
    Flip
    What do you think would happen if 6 million witnesses all of a sudden realized that they were serving a false religion?

Perhaps most who call themselves Sales Associates of Jah are already well aware of what it is they serve, but have either learned, to fear personally arriving at a point of view not approved by the group, or learned to love the corporate esteem that comes when one is recognized as being an able and efficient influence on behavior and ultimately the financial contributions of ones peers.

As far as comparative religious growth goes, I suspect given enough time to allow revenue to compound, it shouldnt be that difficult to make billions of dollars and acquire real estate using a proper balance of selectively ignoring ethics while denouncing the practice, and a generous government tax exempt status.

There must be a few religious organizations that exist who simply choose not to sacrifice ethics and actually provides tangible help to the community at large rather than go for the big bucks, only to give a token pittance in return for the governments generosity.

• Forgiven One
    Forgiven One

This website would outgrow it's servers. HEHE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit