Our Kids Feel Like Freaks

by Shakita 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

Shakita,

Here's some I wrote several years ago about my experience as a Watchtower Kid(tm).

"Remember Jehovah in the Days of Your Youth"

These words were the title of a Watchtower article I remember reading many years ago. As I recall, the sole purpose of the article was to convince young people to dedicate their younger years to full-time preaching for the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

Many people who become JWs as adults, and later leave, have at least some "normal" remembrances of a "traditional" childhood. This is not true with kids unfortunate enough to be "born" into the "truth".

Although I have tried to supress it, I do vividly remember the days of my youth. I was pretty much "born" a Witness, and my entire childhood and most of my twenties were spent as one. I am almost 50 now. I would like to share now how I "remember the days of my youth".

In first grade, children were required to stand and say the pledge of allegiance to the flag every day. I had to stand at attention like a soldier, and utter nothing. The children teased me, and asked me why. So did my teacher. I really couldn't explain why, except it was against my religion. I missed a lot of school in first grade because of the hassles over the flag salute.

Worse than the flag salute issue, though, was the national anthem, which is played at every school-sporting event I can recall. Not standing and singing when everyone else does in a large crowd is the worst form of terror for child or adult. I was called a Communist and worse. Kids tried to pick fights with me over it, and worst of all, many of these events were mandatory at my schools. Once again, I missed a lot of school on the days these events were held.

My worst experience, though, was in my senior year in High School. I was part of a travelling assembly, which was to entertain at another school. I played the piano and was the first performer, so I was asked to sit at the piano from the very start of the assembly. I had to sit just below the stage in front, which required me have to face the entire audience (around 2,500 students and teachers).

Suddenly all lights in the auditorium went out and a huge glaring spotlight was pointing to the back of the auditorium on the school honor guard. These students marched with the U.S. flag to the front of the auditorium and within 2 feet of me while the spotlight followed. The entire school was asked to rise and say the pledge of allegiance. This happened with the flag between me and the student body,while a brilliant spotlight showered me and the flag in light. I stood at rigid attention while the rest of the kids had their hands one their hearts and said the pledge. It was one of the most frightful days of my life and one I will never forget.

Every Christmas, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and all other major holidays were scheduled as some "special" field service day, so of course, I had to go. As a young child, I remember many Christmas mornings standing in the snow, knocking on doors, and seeing kids my age around the Christmas tree tearing open presents and screaming with joy, while I stood there in my pathetic little suit, carrying my pathetic little briefcase containing my pathetic little magazines waiting to give my pathetic little speech. It was pathetic.

I never attended major or minor league sporting events as a kid or as an adult, because of the terror I had over the national anthem issue. I was never allowed to participate in school sports athletics, although I set several High School records in track in my gym class. Also, I could not take advantage of the resources offered by the YMCA.

The How I Spent My Summer Vacation stories all school kids had to write were always centered around "vacation pioneering", because that is what I had to do. I could have used the same story 8 consecutive years in a row and the teachers would have been none the wiser.

Nearly 30 Christmas seasons went by without me giving or receiving one single present. The same number of years went by, and I never was sung the Happy Birthday song, nor did I receive a solitary birthday present. I never attended all the birthday parties offered by acquaintances at school, either. I never saw a bag-full of candy on Halloween. Most Halloweens, my parents would turn the lights off, and the TV down, and we would sit silently while the hordes of little children knocked on our doors and shouted trick-or-treat. On other occasions, as part of my "ministerial training", I had to answer the door and explain to all the neighbor kids and their parents that we were Jehovah's Witnesses and didn't celebrate Halloween, and then try to stuff a Watchtower or Awake covering the subject into their bags.

This Watchtower stuff about "Jehovah's Witnesses don't need holidays to be generous. They do it all year around" is a total bunch of crap. It never happened for me, and it never happened for any of my young Witness friends, either.

Then, at age 24, I realized what I had suffered all through my youth for was a fraudulent LIE.

My youth was gone. And my youth was perverse. All for a LIE. So much of my youth was literally squandered being a slave for a moneymaking RACKET which fraudulently operates in the name of God.

Ah, youth. Yes, I remember it well.

Farkel

• Shakita
    Shakita

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Mary: I'm sorry that your childhood memories were sad ones. If we lack self esteem it makes being a JW ten times harder. You know that what we are on the outside means nothing. Maybe by talking things out with a trusted friend or a close family member you can overcome the pain of your childhood. I hope things brighten up for you.

Swan,Wednesday, Caligirl: Unfortunately, all your experiences are all too common. I was pissed off when I found out that birthdays and holidays are not condemned in the bible. What a waste of time to put our children through this. Never again.

Valis: So, you're telling me you coped by being a hellraiser. Thanks for the encouragement. The past will have to stay in the past. Now my children can live a normal life, whatever that is.

Mr. Shakita

• Aztec
    Aztec

Believe it or not I don't regret my chidhood at all! It made me the person I am today and that is nothing to be ashamed of. Sure I suffered a bit because of my misguided beliefs but I learned to stand my ground and fight for my ideals! Not so bad considering. Anyone who has raised a JW child and felt guilt, drop it. The past is the past and you can do nothing about it. Also, you may have raised a child who isn't afraid to stand up for themselves... That is something to be proud of!!!!!

Much love!

~Aztec

• Mystla
    Mystla

Farkel, I relate to so much of what you said. The lack of holidays and birthdays and being embarassed during the flag salute.

Fortunatly (I think) much of my youth is vague. I don't really remember a lot of specifics. Maybe it just all ran together into one long boring meeting.

I remember in my late teens being sleep deprived. I was going to school and taking care of my siblings while mom worked, and working part time on the weekends and attempting to auxilary pioneer. ( I used to fall asleep in the car in service!)I never had a social life of any sort.

No, this is not a "poor me" post. More of a "hell yeah, JW kids are freaks" post

I don't really resent it, like Aztec, I realise that it made me who I am today, and I kinda like me.

Mystla

• Mackin
    Mackin
    How did you cope in school? What got you through your Watchtower indoctrination? How are you doing now that you're free from the borg? Are you still resentful over a lost childhood?

I can identify with much of waht Farkel and others have said. Although in this country we do not have the same level of patrotism that those in the US do, many of the sentiments are similar.

I hated school 'cos I too was treated like a freak. Now that I'm free from the borg I'm doing real well. I was resentful over my lost childhhod for a long time but now I realise that you can't keep holding onto grudges forever. You have to move on.

However if I could go back in time, I'd shoot the dub who placed the book called "The Harp of God" with my grandmother and started the family on the road to dub-ism.

Mackin.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Fark,

Great post. Couldn't put it better if I tried.

ash

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Memories

Morning services sitting at my desk while the others stood, saluted, sang etc. memory: a teacher decided to do Bible reading, Dad said I could participate brought my Bible (NWT) my turn to read everyone freaking out that my Bible was completely different from their Bibles. A little girl named Donna her mother sending her with the same Bible as me (NWT). Her being laughed at and called a Jehoboswitch too. Donna wasnt a Jehoboswitch.

Art class always telling the teacher that I couldnt draw that. Teacher had to propose a substitute Oh, you arent allowed to draw a Christmas tree with lights on it, then draw a fir tree with snow on it.

Music class not singing half the songs which were pagan or nationalistic or just wrong for no apparent reason memory: teacher behind me noticing I wasnt singing, grabbed me by the hair and pulled me back to his face demanding why I wasnt singing. Muttering some poor excuse and worrying for days after what was going to happen because of this incident.

Remembrance day: the longest minutes of my life, sitting while everyone else was standing at attention. memory: one year the teacher decided to send the 3 J.W kids to the principals office we had to take our desks and chairs out of the class and push them down the halls and then carry them down the stairways to the office then all the way back - everyone in the school had heard the racket and this incident became the student agenda for days.

Keeping all non-JW students (especially girls) at a distance, worried my parents would learn I was making worldly friends.

Gotta stop thinking about this, Im getting upset

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hey Farkel,

Thanks for sharing your story. I think what you wrote sums up the experiences of most JW kids, although they may not have gone through something so embarrassing.

Still more fodder from the Wt and another JW kid victim. The 2003 "Examining The Scriptures Daily" had an experience from Monday, June 9, page 60. The theme scripture they used is Gal. 4:29: "The one born in the manner of flesh beagn persecuting the one born in the manner of the spirit."

The text reads: "Ridicule from schoolmates and verbal attacks by opposers can legitimately be called persecution. A young Christian named Ryan recalls the torment he suffered at the hands of classmates

: "The 15-minute bus ride to and from school seemed like hours as I was verbally abused. They burned me with paper clips that they had heated with cigarette lighters." The reason for this harsh treatment? "My theocratic training made me different from the other young people at school." Nevertheless, with his parents' support, Ryan was able to endure faithfully. Young ones, have the taunts of your peers caused you to feel discouraged? Well, do not give up! By enduring faithfully, you will experience the fulfillment of Jesus' words: "Happy are you when people reproach you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you for my sake."

When I read this I was disgusted. First of all, any child that tortures another child deserves to be punished severely. There is no excuse to torture or verbally abuse anyone because they happen to be different than us. Second, I hope those parents brought the full force of the law on those losers. If that were my child being tortured, I would have found those teens and ripped their limbs off and beaten them with it. I hope they didn't tell their child to endure. That's tantamount to child abuse. I don't think that this child will remember that he endured faithful to Jehovah. He will just remember that his childhood was a hellish nightmare.

Thanks again for all your replies. I hope that less children have to suffer the isolation and ostracism that comes with being a JW.

Mr. Shakita

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I would like to hear from those of you that grew up in JW land. How did you cope in school? What got you through your Watchtower indoctrination? How are you doing now that you're free from the borg? Are you still resentful over a lost childhood?

I don't remember school being a big problem. I made friends easily, was pretty popular in spite of being a JW, and never made a big deal out of it. I dated and was involved in all kinds of school activities. Flag salute things didn't bother me. I am an agressive person, and no one ever asked me about why I didn't salute the flag. That was in the 50's and 60's though, and times were different. People were more accepting of differences, I think, back then. Holidays were not a problem, because I hadn't had a holiday since I was 4, and didn't miss them. I must say our family never made us feel deprived in any way. (I did think Santa Claus just didn't come to our house anymore.............I believed in him until I was about 9)

It was hard to get over the WT indoctrination, but time took care of it. I read Steven Hassan's books on Combatting Cult Mind Control, and it freed me from feeling like I was failing somehow. I realized I was a victim of a cult. I felt guilty for a long time, and it took us time to get out, because we did it gradually. Now I am totally free of their mind control, so feel fine.

YES...........I am still very resentful and angry, over the lost childhood (what we missed because of not having the wonderful family holidays), lost opportunities, and especially the lost opportunities for 3 of our adult children. (the 4th one was in high school when we left the WTS, so he went to college and is now married to a non JW and very happy) At least my grandchildren will have everything open for them. They can go to college, and reach their full potential.

My brother's wife died in 1977 because she couldn't have blood (I've posted about her before, but she had given birth in a traumatic situation, and hemorraged). If we hadn't been JW's, my brother would have his wife, and my nieces would have had their mother to raise them. All so needless. Yes, I am bitter about that.

Edited by - Mulan on 15 January 2003 14:53:1

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Well, my school life as a Witness was no picnic, but I survived. Now I have the inestimable pleasure of watching my children make friends at school, go to their houses, have them over, participate in the school play and science fair, and walk into school with a straight back, a smile, and a skip! I notice a great difference this year, since I quit JW, in my 9-year-old. Last year she would frequently go into school with shoulders slumped, or hang onto me and not want to go in at all. I've only had a couple of those episodes this year, mainly at the beginning since she was in a new school, but I am firmly convinced that she feels better because she feels like a part of things, like she belongs. I never had that feeling and to this day I still feel like an odd duck at lot of times.

Hooray for freedom!

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit