Is that a fact???

by link 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Mackin
    Mackin

All those pesky facts just ruin a good story. Take a leaf out of the WT Society's book. Make up the facts to fit the story.

Mackin.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Link - want to give us some examples of what you are talking about?

The thing too, often people remember things differently to how we might remember them simply because everyone has a unique perspective. For example, posters from the USA often talk about attitudes or things said from the platforms that didn't happen here in Australia. It doesn't make the American poster wrong, it's just that they had a different JW experience to what I had.

No one had the same JW experience - how we view things, and what we might regard as "facts" come from what we experience.

• link
    link

Dear Mr gumpy (Im too lazy to correct my spelling mistakes), you make a good point about an hypothetical example so here goes:

Mr Poster makes the claim that Charles Taze Russell was a paedophile. How did he arrive at this conclusion? Just about everything that CTR ever did is documented somewhere, so there must be a record of his being charged and found guilty of child molesting. After all, the case of the miracle wheat is fully documented in contemporary records so why not something more serious?

How do we know that such a statement about the miracle wheat is true? How do we know that what we read is factual? Well it was written at the time and over a hundred years has passed for someone to challenge the information and no one has. It is documented in newspaper records of the day so we can safely assume that it has some credibility.

Lets look at where Mr Poster got his info. Guess what? It came from Mr David Ickes web site it therefore has to be the gospel truth and there is no need to check on his research because he is SOOO reliable.

OK. Now he has all the facts Mr Poster will approach the JWD board and post this accurate information and amaze everyone with his incredible level of accurate knowledge. However he omits to mention where he found his information which leads the gullable to believe and repeat it.

Along come Mr JW Lurker and what does he see? A load of rubbish on an "apostate" web site. Does Mr JWL see any of the really great, well researched and factually accurate posts put out by many contributors to the board? You can bet your life he doesnt, he wont look beyond the cr*p because that is all he is looking for to support his own beliefs.

This board is a wonderful place to post and discuss ideas and opinions on a whole range of topics but when claims of factual accuracy are involved it would be nice to see at least some sort of support for those claims.

This is just the way I see it! (opinion not fact).

link

edited to say: sorry prisca we were posting at the same time but I think that Ive covered your point by my example. Thanks

Edited by - link on 15 January 2003 6:7:48

• Robdar
    Robdar

I know for a fact that Rutherford died of cancer of the rectum. And I just know there's a pun in there somewhere, but I can't find it (sob!!) . And I've been looking for so long now. It's just GOT to be in there somewhere. Can anyone help?

Francois,

Rutherford took other people's lives and wrecked em (rectum). Seems to me that it is only right that such a huge pain in the ass should die from a pain in the ass. But, isn't is ironic all the same?

Love ya,

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 15 January 2003 7:4:28

• gumby
    gumby

Hey MR. Link

Thanks for clarifying your point. I agree that some of what is posted is questionable.I also believe it is UP TO EACH INDIVIDUAL to check things out first before drawing a conclusion on any matter of importance. Especially if it is a matter that could change your life. Much has been posted here about the bible and the question of it's realiability of being God's word. I didn't just swallow everything I heard about it. I looked up things that were said, I bought books and checked them against other books. To me if I was wrong on this was a BIG matter.

Not everyone on this board is going to provide documentation to what is said. I agree as do you that for the sake of honest lurkers.......care needs to be taken at important statements. As I said......each one has to investigate for themselves and if they are smart.....they'll "check it out".

Don't get upset that most made light of your reply as this is a wild and crazy place. You WILL get honest answers and much help too......just stick aroung long enough and you will see.

Take care,

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit