I Made it Through Hell Week

by Robdar 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Debz
    Debz

Congrats ......thats a hard week..I stopped June 11th 2002...and have had a couple here and there (at the 5 week stopped mark I found out my ex husband was dying of cancer his son and I had`nt seen him for four years - he died 4 days later - I`m afraid I NEEDED something!although does`nt make sense really as he was a heavy smoker and died of oesophagus cancer.......hmmmmmm strange thats what I would go to for comfort eh) although this may have made things harder for me now..as I still get a fancy now and again for one..but when I do I read this it may help in the weeks / months to come......GOOD Luck!!

EYES
    Chemicals in tobacco cause damage to the macula (the most sensitive part of the retina, the back of the eye). Tiny blood vessels can burst through the macula, leading to irreversible damage. According to the recent research, there is a strong association between smoking and a number of common eye diseases, including Graves' ophthalmopathy, age- related macular degeneration, glaucoma and cataract. Smoking causes morphological and functional changes to the lens and retina due to its atherosclerotic and thrombotic effects on the ocular capillaries. Also,
    it enhances the generation of free radicals and decreases the levels of
    antioxidants in the blood circulation, aqueous homour and ocular tissue.
    Eventually, continuous smoking may perpetuate further damage and lead to
    permanent blindness.

MOUTH, THROAT AND OESOPHAGUS
    Smoking is a risk factor for all cancers associated with the larynx,oral
    cavity and oesophagus. Over 90% of the patients with oral cancer(includes cancers of the lip, tongue, mouth and throat) are smoker, and the risk for these cancers increases with the number of cigarettes smoked. Heavy smokers have laryngeal cancer mortality risks 20 to 30 times greater than non-smokers. The combined effect of tobacco and alcoholic drink imposes a much higher risk of oral and pharyngeal cancers by 35-fold.

HEART AND CIRCULATION
    Two immediate effects of smoking on heart and circulation are (1) an increase in your heartbeat rate, (2) a sharp rise in blood pressure. These responses are caused by nicotine which acts on the nervous system, causing the heart rate to rise and blood vessels to constrict. This narrowing of the blood vessels causes the blood pressure rise and strain is put on the heart. The carbon monoxide in cigarettes depletes the oxygen carrying capacity of a smoker's blood. This means that the heart has to pump harder to get enough oxygen to the rest of the body. Smoking can also affect the blood in the long term: increase in the blood cholesterol and fibrinogen levels. Both these factors mean blood will clot more easily and this will increase the risk of having a heart attack, caused by a blood clot forming in the heart. The heart and circulation attacks caused by smoking include : Coronary heart disease (CHD), Aneurysm, Peripheral vascular disease (PVD), stroke etc.

LUNGS
    The tar content of cigarette smoke damages the cells in the airways of the lung, making the cilia unable to sweep away the harmful substances. Eventually this damage can produce cells that grow in an uncontrolled way leading to cancer of the lung or larynx. Moreover, harmful substances from the smoke are detected by the protective cells of the body and these cells move to the lung and try to defend it, but are destroyed by the cigarette smoke. The dead cells release substances that damage the structure of the lung, which leads to chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Tobacco accounts for more than 80% of the lung cancer cases. The observed relationship between tobacco smoking and the incidence of lung cancers appears to depend on factors such as: i) the daily dose of tobacco; ii) the duration of regular smoking and iii) the form in which tobacco is smoked (cigarettes, cigars, pipes).

BRAIN
    Cigarette smoking has been linked to the buildup of fatty substances in the carotid artery, the main neck artery supplying blood to the brain. Blockage of this artery may cut off the blood supply to the brain cells, which results in stroke (cerebral thrombosis). Also, nicotine raises blood pressure; carbon monoxide reduces the amount of oxygen your blood can carry to the brain; and cigarette smoke makes the blood thicker and more likely to clot. Smokers are more likely to develop stroke than non-smokers, with the overall relative risk of stroke in smokers being about 1.5times that of non-smokers.

DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
    Smoking has been shown to have harmful effects on all parts of the digestive system, contributing to such common disorders as heartburn and peptic ulcers. It also increases the risk of Crohn's disease and possibly gallstones. Risk of stomach cancer caused by smoking increases with duration of smoking and the number of cigarettes smoked.

LIVER AND PANCREAS
    Nearly 50% of the bladder and kidney cancer in men are caused by smoking, with lower contribution for women. Cigarette smoke can interact with chemical (especially aromatic amines) in the work place to produce bladder and kidney cancer. Also, approximately 30% of all deaths from pancreatic cancer are attributable to cigarette smoking.

SKIN AND HAIR
    Just 10 minutes of cigarette smoking decreases the body's and skin's oxygen supply for almost an hour. Smoking robs the skin of collagen which keeps the skin elastic. Smokers get more and deeper wrinkles all over their faces because nicotine constricts the tiny capillaries that nourish the skin. Smokers in their 40s often have as many facial wrinkles as non-smokers in their 60s. Smoking interferes with the healing process, it takes longer to heal and there is more scarring.
    Smokers are also prone to premature thinning and graying of the hair. Men who smoke are twice as likely to become bald as are men who do not smoke, and premature graying is 3 to 6 times more common in smokers.

BONE AND MUSCLE
    Smoking delays the healing of fractures, and in some smokers bone healing is indefinitely delayed. Nicotine restricts blood flow to all tissue, especially in the newly forming tissues that are involved in the bone repair. Moreover, tobacco smoke chemicals are poisons that also inhibit the development of new tissue cells. The tissue of smokers does not get an adequate blood supply to promote healing, thus smokers are at a much higher risk of developing osteoporosis. Male smokers are also affected because smoking negatively affects the production of bone cells. Women with a smoking history have significantly lower bone density and are much more likely to suffer fractures. Furthermore, their earlier menopause add to the risk of osteoporosis. Studies show that women who use tobacco have a 50% higher risk of osteoporosis than nonsmokers. Smokers also have poorer muscle strength, agility and balance.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Watch out for the temptation to think that you can try one because you've cracked it now!

Eman,

You offer very good advice. I have done that before. Hopefully, I am wiser now.

The first few weeks are so hard because besides the psychological pull, your body is physically throwing off so much.

Amen Sister Blondie!

The headaches and sweats almost did me in.

(((Craig)))

Thanks for your encouragement.

Navigator,

Your story inspires me. 30 years is a long time to be a smoker. I have been dreaming of smoking too...LOL, I didn't know that others did that also. I just thought that my brain was playing dirty tricks on me to get me to go along with giving it a fix.

Thank you all for posting.

Hugs,

Robyn

Edited to Add:

(((Debz))),

Thank you so much for the information. I will make a copy to read if I am ever "nicking"

Edited by - robdar on 14 January 2003 6:29:40

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Apparently a bunch of us are breathing a sigh of relief for you and your accomplishment of making it one week without smoking. People who have never smoked sometimes can't understand what we are talking about, but those of us who have smoked know exactly what this involves. Englishman is absolutly correct when he says to watch out for the temptation to try one now. Don't know about you, but I either smoked or I didn't, there was no in between. Bug

Congratulations !!!!

• ugg
    ugg

i was really really glad to hear you have made it a week....the next few weeks will also be difficult though....you are already seeing physical improvements...think of how you will feel after 1 year...

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Congrats Robyn!!! Think of the money you will save. You can buy yourself something you may not have! Great Job!!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Don't know about you, but I either smoked or I didn't, there was no in between.

Bug,

Yep that is the way it is for me too. Unfortunately, I do very little in moderation. Especially when it comes to vices.

...think of how you will feel after 1 year...

Ugg,

Yes! I can't wait.

You can buy yourself something you may not have!

(((Teenyuck))),

Hooray!!!

Thank you all for your well wishes.

Love,

Robyn

• bigred
    bigred

This is Mulan. Apparently, I am out of posts. One of my good friends, is an older woman, who was nearly a chain smoker (3 packs a day) for 36 years. She quit in July. She went to bed for a week, and thought she would die, but didn't give in. She called me recently to tell me she is still nicotine free, and sometimes she isn't even thinking about it. Then, she laughed, and said she hoped to go an hour without thinking about it soon. I guess it's a very hard thing to get out of your body, especially after so many years. She didn't use the patch or any other things to assist her...............she just quit. We had a Bible study, years ago, with a couple who had smoked for about 20 years, and they quit, without any problems. They just quit! They claimed there was no withdrawal or any discomfort. They are the lucky ones, I think.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Robdar

Wow, that's tough. A friend of mine recently quit and he had a helluva time. He's a recovering addict and he told me he found it tougher to quit smoking than to quit heroin. They say the first few days are toughest, so you're past the worst part. Keep it up!

Good luck!!!!

• DIAMOND
    DIAMOND

Go for it Robyn!!!!!

Diamond

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit