WHAT IS THE BEST TRANSLATION OF THE BIBLE?

by Utopian_Raindrops 50 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

ozzie: Thanks! The NIV preface states:

The first concern of the translators has been the accuracy of the translation...At the same time, they have striven for more than a word-for-word translation. Because thoughts patterns and syntax differ from language to language, faithful communication of the meaning of the writers of the Bible demands frequent modifications in sentence structure and constant regard for the contextual meaning of words.

They clearly state the "flexible" parameters of their translation methodology. Phillips, Moffatt, Goodspeed and a slew of others used similar guidelines.

Translation is an art, not a science, eh?

Craig

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

U_R I have all these Bibles here at home, from The Tanakh (for the Old testament with apocrypha) to... well most translations anyway, used to go to flea markets and pick them up :)

I had decided in my youth to do a full study of the scriptures and compare translations, including the NWT.

Well I started reading them, and comparing, then one rainy day, I turned to the last page of every bible and read the ending... they all came out the same way, and well that spoilt the book for me.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

ROLF@ED !! I am from the U.S.A. I had no idea who this Spike guy was so I looked him up! LOL Here is a link to a BBC article. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/1843963.stm

Thanks for the laugh Ed! Heres a pint

Yizuman,

Your amazing! Thanks for the Strongs link!! Believe it or not a born again Christian who was renting a room from my parents stole my Strongs Concordance! So this is a helpful link when I am studying with the children.

You said, Before I open the Bible, I ask God to send His Holy Spirit to help me learn and understand His word This is exactly what I do also. What will be different about this time is there will be NO WATCHTOWER propaganda! Nothing to cloud what the spirit is telling me. Very Cool indeed. I think anyway.

A pint for you also my friend..

Agape,

U_R

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Farkel,

Anything you play is grand to me! Debussy is wonderful! Here are the beginning lyrics to

Giz baby,

You said, I have all these Bibles here at home, from The Tanakh (for the Old testament with apocrypha) to... well most translations anyway,..I had decided in my youth to do a full study

I am not surprised because you are a very intelligent man. Too bad the author of The Bible was so predictable! Ruining a perfectly good rainy day for you! Have a pint my friend..

Ozzie and onacruse.your little discourse has helped me put something in the back of mind while I delve into my new study..as onacruse stated, Translation is an art, not a science. This is something I will keep in mind. Another round for all!!

• Ed
    Ed

ROLF@ED !! I am from the U.S.A. I had no idea who this Spike guy was so I looked him up! LOL

I mentioned him because he actually published a satirical version of the Old Testament. No, really, he did. If you can pick up a copy, I highly recommend it.

GENESIS

CHAPTER ONE: THE CREATION ACCORDING TO THE TRADE UNIONS

1. In the Beginning God created the Heaven and the Earth.

2. And darkness was upon the face of the deep; this was due to a malfunction at Lots Road Power Station.

3. And God said, Let there be light; and there was light, but Eastern Electricity Board said He would have to wait until Thursday to be connected.

4. And God saw the light and it was good; He saw the quarterly bill and that was not good.

... and so on.

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

I can see the beginnings of a new organistaion here..ummm thinking ....thinking...a name...ummmm

How about you call it....The Utopians. And then in a special assembly after a judge comes a long and becomes president, he/she can call it, The Raindrops, and claim it was under, the Holy Spirit of Spike Milligan that made the change nesessary.

Ok start on your new Dogma U_R can hardly wait.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Ed and Gizmo thats too funny!

Ill have to check Boarders Books and see if they can get me a copy and then start writing DOGMA I mean inspired utterances for my New Religion..I mean Faith!

Last round guys!!

Its way late!! Im off to bed!!

Agape,

Utopian_Raindrops

• Navigator
    Navigator

UR

I prefer the Jerusalem Bible myself. It is well written with great references in the NT to the OT where some of the stuff came from. It has a few extra books because of its Roman Catholic roots, but they don't detract. I believe it to be fairly accurate as those things go.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

It comes down to what you said, "...have my own perspectives."

What translation best identify's LOVE, action man, ACTION. You can quote from anyone, but action speaks louder than words.

Guest 77

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

My vote goes for:

THE NEW LIVING TRANSLATION

Outaservice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit