WHAT IS THE BEST TRANSLATION OF THE BIBLE?

by Utopian_Raindrops 50 Replies latest jw friends

• scholar
    scholar

Without doubt the NWT is the finest and most the most accurate translation of the Bible ever made. However, it is prudent for any sincere Bible student to have in their libraries a number of Bible translations as this gives one variety because no translation is inspired or infallible.I like the NIV Study Edition because it is very easy to read but for indepth theological research the NWT is absolutely triumphant.

scholar BA MA Studies in Religion

• onacruse
    onacruse

I primarily, but not exclusively, use the NIV. Also about 50 other translations, as the need arises.

ozzie:

I have to say that the NIV is recognised as being a flawed translation.

Care to elaborate? I haven't seen significant criticism of the NIV, and would be glad to know more.

Thanks,

Craig

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Care to elaborate? I haven't seen significant criticism of the NIV, and would be glad to know more.

I make the comment from:

1. Personal use (with comparisons to the ancient Greek text)

2. Opinions of Bible scholars here in Oz.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but it isn't accurate in many parts of the NT. It's still my translation of choice, however.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Pseudo scholar

A company man has got to stick w his company's products, doesn't he?

Francois

Tao De Ching

Not bad. I like it too.

UR

NRSV IMHO. If you insist on that book.

SS

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Without doubt the NWT is the finest and most the most accurate translation of the Bible ever made.
    I can't imagine a person with an "MA in Religious Studies" here in Australia ever saying that!!!!!!

• Farkel
    Farkel

If one wants an excellent modern translation, try the "New Jersusalem Bible." It is perhaps the most accurate translation of ancient myths around. Many scholars agree. Scholars rarely agree universally about anything. That's why they are scholars. They think and they argue. That's how society advances.

Only idiots think the NWT is the "best" translation, although it is not bad if one can excuse the translation of a number of verses being tailor-made to fit Watchtower Society bullshit.

scholar with a BA and an MA in religious nonsense,

Does the NWT of John 1:1: prove that the Watchtower society teaches polythesim, or not? If not, why not in light of the way that verse was rendered? If Jesus is "a" god, is Jesus a true god or a false god? If there is only ONE true God (i.e. Jehovah) and Jesus is "a" god, Jesus cannot be a true god. Therefore Jesus is a false god. But Jesus cannot be a false god, because he's, well......he's Jesus! Therefore, if Jesus is a true "little" god, then JWs believe in polytheism. It can be no other way.

Eagerly awaiting your diversions from the facts, "scholar with a BA and MA in religious bullshit."

Farkel

• Ed
    Ed

I'm quite fond of Spike Milligan's version.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Since I never heard of TTC ,John C.H. Wus translation will be what I go for! Thank-you Introspection for suggesting it and Thanks everyone else for pointing to the TAO TE CHING.

Dont worry (as if anyone was) about this being a highjacking of one book for another. I will still read the bible. Still I know there are teachings everywhere and not just in books but also in life itself. All around us.

I just want to check some things out people are saying here and have my own perspectives.

Saint Satan, as always I love your seeming disdain for the bible. Yet you appear to have full knowledge of it. So the book could not have done you too much harm.

Hey FARKEL I would love to hear your rendition of

Thanks everyone for your responses and your caring enough to give some in put into the life of a stranger.

Id say everyone here is very much like The Good Samaritan .very Christian.at least the way one should be.

A round for everyone!!

Agape, U_R

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

I like the NIV myself for my personal bible study...

Ok.....I really need to have a personal bible reading again with no ones ideas but my own. Just me God and the bible!

I do the exact same thing myself.

Here's a good tip that I often use when I study the scriptures...

John 14 26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

Before I open the Bible, I ask God to send His Holy Spirit to help me learn and understand His word. Since the Bible says...

2 Timothy 3:16
    All Scripture is God­breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
    (Whole Chapter: 2 Timothy 3 In context: 2 Timothy 3:15-17)

Greek: Godbreathed means inspired by the Holy Spirit. Since the Holy Spirit authered the Bible, He's the best source to go to when you have trouble understanding His word. It works great for me everytime. You'll see what I mean when you do that, it's amazing. I've learned not to rely on man anymore, but reliance on the Holy Spirit.

Also pick up the Concordance, that will help you alot look up Hebrew and Greek words so you can get a better look from the original translation. I love the Strong's Concordance. Here's one online...

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

I wish you luck on your studies and endevors.

Yizuman

• Farkel
    Farkel

Utopian Raindrops,

: Hey FARKEL I would love to hear your rendition of

I don't know that one. Actually the only Gershwin I play are several of his preludes. The one I've had on my list for years to learn is "Fascinatin' Rhythm." It is everything the title suggests. Oh, I did play "Summertime" years and years ago, too.

Would you settle for a little Debussy?

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit