Dancing today

by Haereticus 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

If I am not mistaken then about forty years ago there was a study article in Wt, which quite clearly stated that a mature christian should not dance with anybody else than ones spouse. Somehow I remember that the article gave an example of a couple visiting another couple and let's say the male host would grab the female visitor and lean on her going together circles for few minutes. Then the article went on asking what the visiting male would feel in this situation and what diffrence music would make? My rememberance was that at that time dancing was not for mature and spiritual christians except in a wedlock (of course twist and jive were no-no's to every witless.)

What might be the "present truth" as far as dancing is concerned?

Mark

• Matty
    Matty

It's impossible to have a Jehovah's Witness "get together" with dancing where nobody gets "stumbled" and walks off in a huff! Many people try, but give up - and so there are very little opportunities to strut your funky self while in Witness company as nightclubs/discos are now banned.

• acsot
    acsot

I think it depends what congregation/language group you're in. I was in Spanish congregations for many years and any excuse for a party was fine! Everybody danced, elders, grandparents, little kids and everyone danced with everyone! I'm talking about the salsa, merengue and such, not slow dances, actually there were hardly any slow dances. It was great! So much fun! Now in English circuits I don't know, it seems pretty boring.

At Arabic weddings sisters would do the belly dance, in one area of many immigrants the African brothers and sisters just danced circles around everyone! Do they have energy! It really must depend on your area, we seemed to be dancing all the time! My next get-together at my house will be just for dancing, mostly Latin.

• undercover
    undercover

When I was younger, there was no dancing at any kind of get-together, including weddings. As I got a little older, wedding receptions started including dancing. But the music was tightly controlled. And then a few years after that, some get-togethers started having dancing, but the music had to range from all over, so as not to leave any age group out. Of course hard-core dance music, techno and disco were not allowed. Just middle of the road stuff. And then sometimes lyrics would get the JW DJ in trouble.

I remember in the 70s, discos were frowned upon. Matty said that discos/clubs are now banned. Banned in what way? A DFing offense? Or just not recommended as discos were not recommended back in the 70s? I'd like to see the reference on that if available.

• blondie
    blondie

Banned while not a DFing offense can get you

Marked officially or unofficially

Brothers can lose privileges and be removed as MS/elders/regular or auxiliary pioneers, being in the school, have the book study removed from their home

Sisters can lose privileges as reg/aux pioneers, being in the school

In other words, they can make it very uncomfortable for you, "punish" you or threaten to do these things

Blondie (seen it done)

Edited by - Blondie on 13 January 2003 16:15:16

• undercover
    undercover

So using your bible trained conscience is not allowed then, huh? So why bother training it? Geez. How did I ever allow myself to get caught up in this crazy lifestyle?

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

The Greek brothers and sisters in Denver, Colorado were *always* dancing at weddings. It was an important part of our culture. Even the English congregations had "dance parties" for the young ones. Of course, that was back in the early 80's.. don't know what's goin on now.

In fact, one of the "annointed" owned a Greek restaurant called the "Greek Village", which was in Littleton, same place as COLUMBINE, and our whole family, even my unbaptized Greek Father, would go down there and dance Greek line dances. For some cultures, dancing is an inherent part of celebrations: birthdays, anniversaries, weddings.. or just whatever. It's not unusual for a pile of Greek men sitting at an outdoor table outside of a restaurant or outdoor cafe.. one starts singing and the rest of them get up and dance. It's an exuberance oflife.. a celebration of life...

CG

Edited by - country girl on 13 January 2003 16:39:58

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I can't recall any specific articles on the subject. I do remember a lot of "traditions of men" however.

The English-speaking congregations I attended the attitudes were that to dance was almost but not quite a "suspicious activity"...along with anything else that constituted having any degree of fun. There were rules about what music was acceptable, modern music being hailed as "music to fuck by" and frowned upon at christian gatherings never mind weddings.
    If you dared dance "freestyle" or in a group instead of one on one, you'd be marked worldly.
    There were rules about dancing "a bible aid book distance apart", even the married's because they were supposed to set the example and be concerned about showing undue affection to each other lest they make it difficult for the singles to remain single. Frowns all around. No having fun. I tried my best to liven things up , and gave many a dance lesson, but how much can one person do against the borg? lol (The only exception to this rule wuz when the Bethelites came to town...those boys could daaaaance! lol *sigh*)

In the Spanish congregations EVERYONE danced and they knew how to work it baby. lol. Parties and dancing were just as necessary as oxygen. I never asked but I don't think the term "wallflower" exists in their languages. If it does, it just doesn't get any use. I'm talkin salsa, merengue and other such hip gyraters. lol. The better you danced, the more socially acceptable. Smiles all around. It wuz a welcome culture shock. Bailamos!!!!!

So there was a major difference between the attitudes of the gringos and the latinos.
    Not only in their congregational culture, but also in their dance culture. Gracias a Dios.

Cognitive dissonance? Is that a dance? Let's boogie!

SPAZ

ps - I took some bellydancing lessons for a while. There was also a significant difference in how each congregation accepted this. The spanish loved it and requested performances lol. The english looked at me like i was on my way out. Yeah, that's it, musta been the bellydancing. I also know a *sister* who had a bellydance instructor in her congregation a few years ago. The elders told the dance instructor that she would have to quit doing her bellydancing. When the *sister* I know heard that, the first thing she did was say there is no scriptural basis for that, and signed up covertly for bellydance lessons. lol. Awesome woman.

Edited by - SPAZnik on 13 January 2003 17:14:53

• Mulan
    Mulan

There was a large JW family, extended families, in Portland OR, who were Syrian. They always did their belly dancing at weddings and other get togethers. I knew some of the girls in the family, when I was a teen. (family names were Nomi, Georges, Kahl)

After I was married, one of the grandkids, married a girl from our area, and the Syrians all came to Seattle for the wedding. (some had moved here too) Again, there was belly dancing all evening, on stage. I remember thinking that if it weren't their culture, it would be so frowned on! Some were doubtless offended.

At Princess' wedding, one of the single pioneers (30ish) was doing the polka with an elderly brother. They were taken aside and counseled for that. It sure seemed dumb. He was married, but he was OLD, like her grandpa.

I danced with whomever I wished to dance with! I would say "my husband said I could", if anyone remarked to me about it. That shut them up!!

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Now this is a subject that sticks in my craw.

Yes it does depend on the congregation. I spent 11 years in tears because I couldn't dance but dancing was quite popular in my best JW friends(?) congregation in Georgia. In my congregation, JW's idea of dancing was moving their hands and feet....maybe...but it was a sin to move anything else in between. There were no single men to dance with anyhow. Line dancing was about all. Maybe one or two dances. That's it. LAUDERDALE LAKES, FLORIDA congregation folks. Dead.

There was an Awake article that came out that said there was no problem with a brother dancing with a sister other than his wife. The emphasis was more on the kind of dancing that would be done, e.g., sensual dancing a no-no.

I went to a JW wedding and noticed that a recently widowed, elderly sister was being asked to Swing dance by married brothers (most everyone knew that I liked to Swing dance). Before becoming a JW, I always danced; I rarely just sat and watched. I was always on the floor. At this wedding, I made a statement to a single sister I was sitting with as to why do they dance with her but they won't ask us to dance. Her answer was that "She is safe because she is an elder's widow." I said "So what does that make us? Jezebels?" I was furious and I marched over to an elder's wife I knew well and told her so. I stormed out and never went to another wedding or gathering where there might be dancing.

I truly believe there are too many JW marriages in trouble for a JW brother to chance dancing with someone other than his wife. So once again, the single sisters pay the price. They are the sacrificial lambs because the JW married men can't trust themselves and their wives can't control their jealousy.

The Dallas Push Club was the only Club I ever belonged to where every dance was a Ladies Choice. Everyone danced with everyone and the marrieds had no problem with it. Everyone there loved to dance. We were a dance club first; a social club second. Dancing wasn't a flirtatious(sp?) act but just a way to have fun and learn new steps. Heck. One of my competition dance partners was married! His wife was a dancer also and even helped smooth out our choreograped routine. She cheered and clapped more than anyone else when we competed!

If I would have known at the time, I would have check out those spanish congregations. WOW. Where was my head???

Trot

Edited by - Trotafox on 13 January 2003 23:50:20

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit