The break between meetings

by freedom96 25 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I remember the meeting break too. It was back in the times when there was a Public Talk which was without songs and prayers. The break between the two meetings was done so that members of "the Public" could be farewelled, then the congregation members would re-assemble for the Watchtower Study.

Cheers, Ozzie

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Thinking back a bit more, trying to pin down when the breaks were done away with...

As I said earlier, I think the breaks were gone before I got baptized in 1969. But I'm absolutely certain they were gone by the time I gave my first public talk in February of 1973 (it was on my 21st birthday, so I remember the exact date). It was the only time other than my wedding that my father ever set foot in a Kingdom Hall, and I had to talk quickly to him and my stepmother during the song after the talk, and hurry back in for the WT study. Had there been a break, we would have lingered a bit longer (they didn't stay for the WT study).

I wonder if this was something that individual congregations decided for themselves, so that different ones who have posted here would have seen the breaks disappear at different times?

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Wow,I wish I remembered such breaks!

My mom became a witness in 74,and out of the few congregations we attended,none ever had breaks.A lot of people did get up during the song however,until that was discouraged too.

A break would have been great,considering I always had to go to the bathroom.I would have to hold it for so long,until my mom would finally take me(and then she would listen at the stall to make sure I REALLY had to go,and wasn't just trying to miss a bit of the meeting).

Lol at the stories of brothers going outside to have a cigarette.Funy how Jehovah didn't realise that was bad for your health until 70 or so.How did the Health Dept beat him with that info?Food for thought.

• Scully
    Scully

My family started attending meetings in 1969... and I don't remember EVER having a "break" between the Public Talk and the Watchtower study.

For a 6 year old who'd never been to church in her life.... those two hours were excrutiatingly

b o r i n g.

Love, Scully

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Hi, I'm new here.

Yes I remember the break between meetings. My friend and I would use that opportunity to run across to the store and get liquor laced candies and eat them through the WT study. Yum Yum. Gee was it because we were bored? I'm sure they were in the 60's

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I remember the break, and I remember when they eliminated it and made the meetings a little shorter. Although the break was nice, half the time it would go somewhat longer than the 15 minutes allotted and it seemed that the meetings went on forever. Even though I missed the respite, it was nice to have total meeting times reduced.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit