The break between meetings

by freedom96 25 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

cruzan-

I remember a very few times the speaker didn't come for whatever reason, and sadly, they always made up for it. They would do the Watchtower study, and by then an elder from the hall would grab some old outline and do a talk. That sucked. So close.......... yet still they had to do the stinkin meeting.

• Mackin
    Mackin

I remember the break between meetings too. I was just a little kid.

Edited to add: And if you went outside during the break there was several guy's out there having a smoke. The "Holy Spirit" didn't reveal that smoking was bad 'till 1972 (or thereabouts). I guess Jehovah didn't figure it out 'till then.

Mackin (wo's still a little kid - just older)

Edited by - Mackin on 13 January 2003 15:8:49

• herself
    herself

In the mid to late 70s there was a 5 minute break between the two meetings in my cong.

H.S.

• rekless
    rekless

i remember the breaks between meetings and I remember some bros. going out side and smoking cigaretts.

1954,55,56,57 up until they passed the no smoking rule.

• onacruse
    onacruse

cruzan:

(yes, the servants would take that opportunity to have a ciggie)

roflmao. Yes, I remember that too. We were at the Redondo Beach, CA cong at the time, I was 5 or 6 years old.

freedom:

they always made up for it.

Again, roflmao. Yes, I absolutely hated that. And it was almost always a talk I'd heard 20 times already, like "Jacob's Deathbed Prophecy." Even a prefrontal lobotomy wouldn't get that talk out of my head.

Craig

• blondie
    blondie

No smoking as a DFing offense was announced in June 1973 to be enforced by the end of the year. Everyone was given 6 months to quit or else. I thought it was an outgrowth of Stay Alive in 75. After all, the new system was going to be there in 2 years and definitely no smoking would be allowed then.

Blondie (that's where my mother was going)

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I remember the breaks from when I first started going to meetings. That would have been 1966 or 67. I'm almost certain that they were gone by the time I got baptized in 1969.

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

I remember the break between the meetings in the mid 70's. They would actually have snacks and drinks at our Hall. I also remember a REAL piano being played for the song instead of the tapes.

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

I remember the break between the meetings, too.

As a child in the late 50's, the KH I attended had a place to buy ice cream across the street, and I recall being allowed to get some there once in a while, although I seem to recall it being "frowned on" or somesuch. Did I look forward to the break? You betcha!!

Since I haven't attended any meeting for several years now, I guess I could say I was reinstituting the break between meetings, except putting it at the end......DUH.

---Dan

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I remember the breaks between the Sunday afternoon meetings. A number of us in our congregation were Giants fans. So during baseball season we would go outside to get the score on the games. I remember one afternoon I was stuck in the KH during the intermission. Before the PT the Giants were behind 8-2, but one of the brothers went out to his car and listened to his radio. Then he came back before the Watch Tower Study with the good news, it was bottom of the 7th Giants 10, Dodgers 8. It was a different culture back then.

Athanasius

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit