List your favorite, overused scripture by JW's!

by thedepressedsoul 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

The title says it all. List a scripture that is way over used.

It could be a scripture that the point is completely missed by how they use it. It could also be one that they use so much it's as if the rest of the bible didn't exits.

My two favorite are Proverbs 4:18 and Ezekiel Chapter 1 +a few verses. These two scriptures alone are used to justify any change, no matter what it is for many many years!

In review, my two are:

Proverbs 4:18 and Ezekiel 1:15+

• Simon
    Simon

Has to be Matthew 24:14 - "This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth ... and then the end will come"

They just rub their hands with glee at the thought of billions of people being exterminated by their god.

It's telling how, despite them claiming to be bible students, most JW's can only really recite a few of the cliche verses.

• Kanon
    Kanon
    Rev 21:4 Ultimate Field service fail-safe. Don't know where to go read it and say wont that be nice. Have a nice day.
  • sir82
    sir82
    Matthew 24:45-47 ("faithful and discreet slave") has been in virtually every Watchtower, sometimes 6 or 7 times per issue, since 1980 at least.
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    It has to be the one about bad association spoiling useful habits.  If I had a dime for every time one elder used this scripture, I would be able to purchase a moderately prices automobile.
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai

1 Cor 14,33: “ Let all things take place decently and by arrangement.”

This is quoted ad nauseum.  It really appeals to those who love the letter of the law more than anything else.

• momentofsurrender
    momentofsurrender
    1 Cor 15:33 growing up as a JW it is drilled into your psyche
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I think the aspect of the indoctrination that kept me mentally imprisoned for so long was the notion that you can't trust yourself.  Usually they're pretty subtle about this, but sometimes they're pretty up front about it.  So while it's not the most overused scripture, it's certainly up there:

Jeremiah 17:9

The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate.  Who can know it?

Feeling like your life would be better outside the cult?  It's just your treacherous, desperate heart fooling you.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The older I get, the more difficult I find reading the Bible in general... too much triggering.

Weird, considering I rather enjoy epic movies based on OT Bible stories.

• BU2B
    BU2B
    I agree with the above.  I would like to add Ecclesiastes 9:5 which they take literally and cherry pick to prove that the dead are unconscious, when the very next verse, Ecclesiastes 9:6 if taken literally disproves the earthly resurrection as well!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit