who hated the memorial?

by Tyler_Durden 30 Replies latest jw friends

• longtimeout
    longtimeout

I never hated it. Tolerated, maybe. To me, it was always a predictably boring, repetitive exercise no one really understood given the Borg's convoluted "Anointed" doctrinal conjurings. But heck, give the poor dubs their due. This is the closest thing to Easter they'll ever observe.

Actually recognizing Jesus (remember Him?) even if it is in an offhanded, perverted way for a select few. You even got to dress up in special clothes for the occasion. It was also a time to "view" those spiritually weak ones who made this their "Hegira". "View" is the operative word here. All the good dubs were careful not to be stumbled. Best left to the elders to deal with them.

• artful
    artful

Hello there "Mr. Durden": Fight Club fan, eh? I must say, it is one of my favorite flicks!

2002 was the first time since I was 5yrs old that I didn't attend the Memorial. I felt very much the same as you. It was nice to read the JW Memorial attendance in Canada (in the January WT) with one person less this year!!

Cheers
    Artful

• Xena
    Xena

lol "artful" dodger is it? always thought he was much more fun than Oliver

• ISP
    ISP

at the end......I got more impatient with the whole thing! Its a ritual now.......passing the wine and bread amongst an audience who are told not to take it.

ISP

• larc
    larc

My feeling and experience is very different than what has been expressed here. I considered the Memorial to be a very special evening, our only holy day of the year, and I had great reverence for that day and that experience.

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

Memorial was always uncomfortable! Never knew how to act. Remember the talks and articles about how we were to conduct ourselves. Sheesh, I felt bad for smiling. Heaven forbid you did anything as a group AFTER the Memorial. You were marked if you did that.

• gumby
    gumby

My feeling and experience is very different than what has been expressed here

Larc......were you of the annointed (at the time )?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I kind of liked the Memorial, at least up until the last few years I was in. It was shorter than a normal meeting, and in the old days, if it fell on a meeting night or a Sunday, the regular meeting was cancelled. Now, I believe they reschedule the regular meeting, so that the Memorial is always an extra meeting.

And it always fell in the spring, on a full moon. So when my daughter was young, we'd haul out the telescope after the meeting and check out the moon craters and other stuff.

During the last few years that I went, though, I developed a growing awareness of what the emblems stood for, and how much I needed that. It got to be agonizing to pass them along without partaking. I think that may have been part of how the Lord was trying to draw me back to Himself. Some years, I'd buy matzos and wine, and have my own private "Memorial" after the meeting, when nobody was looking. One year, I even went to a Bible Students' Memorial (which was on a different night), and partook there.

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

I didn't hate it. Afterall, this was THE one big legal "celebration" for JW's. I tried to make the best of it by taking my children out afterwards to a restaurant.

Last year's memorial was the last meeting I attended. I went to another congregation in another town and the people there were even snottier than at my old hall. They didn't know us or whether we were studies or what but they were unfriendly and completely oblivious to us. We couldn't find any seats and they didn't care. One brother looked up at me from his seat and told me to go ask an attendent to find us seats. Duh. Another fond memory I have of the memorial was when I brought a study to it and none of the sisters would greet or talk to her. You see, I wasn't so well thought of in my hall. I rarely went out in service and yet here I am bringing a study to the memorial when the pioneers, who were so much better than me, had none attending that year. My study wasn't worthy because of who was teaching her

I'm gonna miss the memorial this year but I won't "miss" it

• LDH
    LDH

About the best thing I can liken it to:

Wacking off for DAYS and then just when you get to the orgasm part, you stop.

The biggest case of Spiritual Blue Balls EVER.

The anticipation kills you, and then when it finally happens, the let down is immense.

Besides that, since it was the only holiday we could 'celebrate' us teenagers always wanted to go out afterwards, which of course was a big no-no because you have to be solemn and morose.

Some celebration.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit