who hated the memorial?

by Tyler_Durden 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Tyler_Durden
    Tyler_Durden

Was having a wee think to myself: this year is the first year in over a decade I won't be attending the JW memorial. Not that I'm too bothered, I remembered how much I hated it, how pointless, dull, & stupid I found it!!

I could never understand the need for the great crowd to attend the annual meeting, it wasn't for us - & it certainly wasn't for our poor bible studies! I would even ask my bros & sis why we had to attend a meeting purely for the annointed, what was the scriptural reason for us being there? They'd usually answer something back like "we show respect for the new covenant". Eh?

Did others feel the same as me? Did your eyes roll when you saw the 'sacred emblems' zig-zag down the aisles ? Did you groan at the sight of folks making a 'special effort' to attend the 'special meeting' ? Did you hate the memorial more than any other dub meeting (inc conventions) ?

Tell me I wasn't alone!?

Tyler

• Iron Eagle
    Iron Eagle

No you weren't alone

I was its biggest fan ; It always used to touch me thinking about Christ dying for us all and the agony he must have gone through moments before his death . It was always a moody occasion as well.

I didnt look forward to it because it always made me feel nervous. Everyone was always on there best behaviour. Im 20 now and have never missed a memorial in my life but I guess thats going to change come April !!!!!!

• Xena
    Xena

Well it had to be at the top of the most boring..same freakin talk EVERY SINGLE YEAR...course it was kinda fun to watch one of the brothers that claimed to be anointed chug the wine down...lol he would take like 1/2 the cup....

I used to get a new dress for it too, that was kinda cool....

• target
    target

Yes and no. I hated going, but then again, sometimes interesting things happened and people show up who you only see once per year. I knew sisters who had to have new outfits to wear to the memorial. So their purpose in going was to show off the new clothes.

There was one sister who cared for an elderly woman who was quite senile and she decided to bring her to the Memorial. She had been studying with her (what a joke!) and when the wine came the old lady got all excited and grabbed it and tried to drink it all down and they had to wrestle her to her to get it away from her. That was intertaining!

Then there was the couple in the thirties and the wife was dingy and she had decided she was annointed, only she didn't tell anyone, she just waited until the emblems came and grabbed a chunk and started chewing on it and her husband got all upset and demanded to know what she was doing and he was trying to take it away from her. They were sitting right in front of us, right on the end of the row. The elder put his hand on the guy's shoulder and kind of squeezed a little to get his attention, and he calmed down. After the shindig was over, I of course mentioned it to one sister and the story went through that hall like wild fire! That sister continued to partake until this day, but her husband will not go to the same hall she goes to for the memorial because he does not believe she is annointed. What I find interesting is that he is a very overbearing husband and she could not as much as go to the store without his permission and yet she takes a stand against him on this. I came to the conclusion that the idea of living forever on earth with him is more than she can take and going to heaven is the only way she is going to get away from him.

So, the reason the Great Crowd goes to the Memorial is to catch up on who came this year, who partakes, to show off new clothes and catch up on some gossip they might other wise miss.

Millie

Edited by - target on 12 January 2003 9:56:44

• Shakita
    Shakita

Personnally, I thought it was a farce to pass around the emblems knowing who(if anyone) was going to partake. What was the point of this all? I was always afraid that my kids, who were old enough to pass the plate and cup, would drop it! Then again it probably would have made things more interesting.

Last memorial I went to was 2 years ago. I was going to the meetings on and off then. The elder came up to my husband sitting right next to me and said "How did you get her here." Let me tell you, that was not the thing to do. You do not ignore me like I wasn't even there and call me HER! I told this elder, "Yes, he had to use his whip and chain!" The elder must have been offended by this, I really don't know why, and ignored me again and spoke with my husband on some of his medical issues.

What a waste of my time.

Mrs. Shakita

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

The only thing I liked about the memorial is that it lasted less than an hour. I've not been in more than 6 years. I should be getting my yearly invite any day now.

• DIAMOND
    DIAMOND

Millie,

Your last paragraph says it all. Every Hall I've been to thats exactly what is was. A fashion show my wife and mother used to get a new dress every year. We used to love to see people who haven't been to the Hall all year show up at the Memorial. Then everyone talks about how bad they look since they left Jehovah. Also when someone partakes everyone talks about that peoson after the meeting. I thought the purpose was to partake and then when someone does they get talk about or talked to. Its crazy!! Boring talks 30 min prayers 4 of them. The same thing being said over and over. Talk about dull and boring.

Diamond

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I was always bored, but respectful at the same time. And yes, it was a fashion show. All the sisters absolutely had to have a new outfit, and we felt sorry for those who didn't. Same at the conventions and assemblies. How stupid.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I too thought the memorial was very strange. Just another Watchtower tradition that may have once been an exciting and meaningful occasion for the flock, but now has become an embarrassing relic of a dying religion.

They made it even stranger when they started playing kingdom melodies very softly over the PA system while the emblems were being passed.

So glad to be out of that mess.

• gumby
    gumby

I figured out how the witnesses could overcome all these objections you guys have brought up so that perhaps we can get some of you back.

Here it is:

The speaker gives his talk as usual........spends a half hour explaining to all those listening that this IS NOT for them. Then he says...Is there anyone in the audience who belongs to the "Little Flock"?

If no one raises their hand.......it's a done deal! We all go home, twist up a fatty , have a beer and the night is still young.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit