Why no windows?

by Gig 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Gig
    Gig

Actually this is a good sign for me, progress really. The only JW question I have for today is why Kingdom Halls don't have any windows.

• Mac
    Mac

Possible alternate escape route?????????

mac, of the felt like jumping out the window at times class!!!

• Aztec
    Aztec

So you wouldn't be distracted by what was going on in the real world. Fortunatly I have a REALLY good imagination.

~Aztec

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

I think it has to do with the fact that some picket the KHs and it's disturbing the congregation. The WT doesn't want people learn the real truth about their sect so they made changes on how the future KHs would be built.

In any rate, having a KH with no windows, would this violate the building code for reason that if a fire broke out and a window would be one of the exits besides the exit doors?

I guess states to states have different fire codes when a building is being constructed.

Yizuman

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

LOL! Mac and Aztec crack me up!

Thereare no windows on KHs for several reasons....it is easier to build a hall when there is no windows, and it helps prevent vandalism and theft. Thieves like to steal the sound systems.

Richard

• Prisca
    Prisca

Not all Kingdom Halls are window-less.

In Australia, most KHs have windows - one I know that is in the country has large windows that look out on the surrounding paddocks. The Halls that I used to frequent in the city still had windows, but were higher up and much smaller, in order to deter thieves and vandals.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

No windows. . .

Skeptic: Even in a small city like Saskatoon, KHs were subject to vandalism. . . broken windows, theft, graffiti. . .We had an older kh, before the "quick build" days, and it had windows. . .some of the time. As the windows got broken, they were boarded up and not replaced. . . due to the vandalism.

Mac: Alternate escape route? LOL!!! I like your thinking!!! Me? I stayed quietly in my seat and admired my pretty shoes!!!

Aztec: I think distraction may be part of the reason, too. . .LOL!! ('cept that the windows in our kh were too high on the wall for anyone to see out of). I know when I was in school, the windows were surely a distraction for me!!

ESTEE

EDITED to fix my spelling (I knew that one day my daydreaming at school would come back to haunt me!!)

Edited by - ESTEE on 12 January 2003 1:4:56

Edited by - ESTEE on 12 January 2003 1:5:38

• Aztec
    Aztec

Hey Estee, my first hall did have windows but they were up very high so that you could not see out of them. Every hall after that had no windows hence my opinion that they are left out so as not to distract you from the "ahem"...vomit... I mean faithful and discreet slaves "new light"....Grrrrrr!

~Aztec

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Skeptic: Even in a small city like Saskatoon, KHs were subject to vandalism. . . broken windows, theft, graffiti. . .We had an older kh, before the "quick build" days, and it had windows. . .some of the time. As the windows got broken, they were boarded up and not replaced. . . due to the vandalism.

ESTEE,

The hall I was married in had windows too. A thief broke a window and stole the sound system. So, we bought a better one. A week or two after the sound system was replaced, a thief broke a window again and stole the sound system a second time!

After that, we put bars on the windows. It looked like a jail, but what can you do?

One Kingdom Hall in a town I lived in saved a man's life. His snowmobile broke through the ice in bitterly cold weather....he crawled out of the water, soaked to the skin....he broke a window at the KH and climbed inside until he was warm again. It saved his life. He contacted the brothers and offered to pay for the window.

Richard

• LB
    LB

It's cheaper to build without windows, and much faster. I think it's as simple as that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit