My son is starting karate!!!

by Aztec 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Aztec
    Aztec

I'm so excited about this and so is he. He is a very hyperactive and impulsive child (takes after his mom) and he needs to learn some self-discipline. For fun I made this pic of him in photoshop.

He loved it!!!

Has anyone else taken martial arts? What should I expect?

~Aztec

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

I;m sorry, Aztec, I am just unable to reply at this time. I just can't get over the fact that you actually asked for a mullet when you were a kid. I'll get over this, just need some time.

No actually, I think martial arts are a good channel for kids to use up a lot of energy and also learn focus.

• Mum
    Mum

My granddaughter started karate a couple of months ago. She is 13. She resisted mightily at first, but now she loves it. Sometimes I think the martial arts are becoming a replacement for religion. Martial arts students learn respect, restraint, goal setting, and the motto, "Character, integrity, self control, perseverance, indomitable spirit."

I hope your son enjoys karate and earns all of the belts!

SandraC

• Introspection
    Introspection

It's interesting Mum mentioned martial arts in connection with religion, because originally it did have something to do with spirituality. Back in the day in China it started with the Taoists and the Shaolin, although I'm not sure if you can call those religions if you really see them for what they are.

I'm not too big on the martial aspect these days, but I think the art part is a good one. The nice thing about this kind of art is that the palette is you, basically. Even though you are cultivating yourself, it does involve your relationship with others as well. Martial arts is often seen as an outlet for young people, but I think if it is only seen as an excuse to be able to kick ass then you're missing the finer points. Of course, if you're only interested in self defense and being able to take another guy down, you probably don't care - but not only is self discipline involved, the older arts actually include ways to take someone down in a merciful manner. There was very much an attitude of do as little damage as possible, even though the point was to survive. Like religion, I would recommend anyone who's interested to look for a school and teacher that gives more than lip service to these principles, someone who can really be a living example for the kids.

Edited by - Introspection on 11 January 2003 14:34:19

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Aztec:

The marital arts can be wonderful for children, good self-discipline. Do know there are some schools that teach it wrong though. My brother was a kick-box Karate black belt he learned at school here in KC, he was very mean and injured quite a few people in his time in it (mainly bar fights). I just tell you this so you know that it can happen, if you see anything you don't like in your son's behavior after he is enrolled you can have a heads up and know that it's against the norm.

I had a fear of the martial arts growing up due to my brother The KC Sting <read KC ass****> but now I realize he was trained INCORRECTLY and should never have been allowed in the ring. The worst incident was on the day of his second marriage somehow road rage came into play<read my brother was probably drunk of his butt or something> anyways he got the man to pull over that had <gasp> flipped him off my brother broke every facial bone in the poor man's face!! Why he never served time I have no idea.

I just wanted you to have a rounded view of it, I think it will be good for your son and his active life

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

I took Tae Kwon Do for about a year and I was in the best shape ever! If i had a child I would definitly encourage him/her to join a martial arts class,it developes self assurance, improves academic skills through concentration & discipline ,teaches children how to interact with others and teaches self-defense and control . BTW...you could join an adult class...might make you feel more secure..while waiting for the bus

Edited by - rubytuesday on 11 January 2003 16:14:42

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

What a smile he has!! he must be having a great time, the dicipline part of it will also help him with self control.

I myself would like to take something in that area as my 15 year old and I take shots at each other for fun and someday I would just like to whoop his butt.

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

Az,

My Nephew takes it and absolutely loves it. He has done it for over a year now and continues to excel. I think and hope that your son continues to enjoy!! Good luck.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Well Random at least I wasn't busy playing Legend of Zelda I looked quite good I thought...LOL

I always wanted to learn some form of martial arts as a kid but it's definatly a no-no for a JW. I was told something about it being a spiritual practice. I can't remember what exactly. I think it will do wonders for him because he really needs to learn some self-discipline.

I may take a class myself cause, yes Ruby, I can use it to fight off the pervs and JW's.

imanaliento, thanks and go get him!

Thanks everyone else for the advice. I appreciate it.

~Aztec

• minimus
    minimus

That's too bad. now he'll get demonized.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit