Geeky things you did when you were a kid

by DanTheMan 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Dolphin57
    Dolphin57

I was such a nerd. When I was 8 or 9, I would make multiple ponytails in my hair, put shirts on inside out and backwards, with my socks rolled down around my ankles. I thought I was the coolest thing to grace the earth. I wore neon green bathing suits with "AWESOME" written on it in black. I was a fashion disaster.

Here's another thing I did that was really geeky and dumb. I would be in the swimming pool and use garbage cans as diving bells. I would have my friend jump on the top and sit on it while I was underwater, "exploring the depths". We took turns but it didn't take too long for us to get dizzy and have headaches from lack of oxygen.

One more thing, I set up a recording studio in my bedroom when I was 11. My best friend and I were DJ's. We would play songs and have traffic reoports, news and song reviews. I still have the tapes, its scary....

LOL....

• trevor
    trevor

Geeky things eh.

At age twelve, the underpants I wore had little legs on them, like shorts. The shorts I wore to school had not been replaced as I had grown. The legs of the bright white underpants, visible beneath the navy blue shorts, became irresistible to both boys and girls, who took delight in tugging at them. I viewed all this as a part of the persecution I was primed to endure in my bid to secure eternal life, in a new world where shorts were banned and replace with long trousers that lasted forever.

On one occasion my father took me to a clothing store to buy me new underwear and the well-meaning man at the shop tried to persuade my father to invest in some Y fronts for me, as this was what all the boys were now wearing. He said they would laugh at me in the 'gold rush' style underpants. My father told him firmly that no son of his would go to school in anything less than 'substantial undergarments.' The kindly man saw the hope fading from my embarrassed face and tried again. My father was a man of very fixed views with total intolerance to the views of others. (Sound familiar?)

Crimson with rage he marched me from he shop loudly repeating for the benefit of the whole shop - SUBSTANTIAL UNDERGARMENTS!!!' Life back at school seemed pretty tame after this life changing experience. To this day I cannot buy underwear without blushing.

Geeeeky or what?

Trevor

• maximumflash
    maximumflash

This post is no for the emotional heart.

I went to High School on the Naval Base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The base has a 17-mile perimeter and no one is allowed to leave the base to go to Cuba. The only way off the base was either by plane or by Navy ship.

Anyway, some of the things I would do for fun in an environment such as this took a lot of imagination and sometimes ingenuity. My friends, the pack of troublemakers that we were, and me use to play the worlds largest minefield. Yes, you read that right, a minefield. The minefield was 17 miles long and 5 miles wide.

Cuba has wild deer that many times wander into the minefields. Many times, the deer would seek some kind of shade and lay down in a bush to rest out of the extreme heat.

The thing we would do for fun was drive our cars out to the edge of the minefield, then throw rocks into the bushes to spook the deer. The deer would then start running thru the minefield until it hit a mine. Then BOOM! Deer gets blown 50 feet into the air. My friends and I would then have to hurry to get in our cars and leave before the minefield maintenance team, which was US Marines, would arrive. If they had caught us, we would have been in some serious trouble.

Very stupid thing for us to do as kids. Crazy as hell too.

Another time on the base, my friends and I were in an unauthorized part of the island. Someone saw us and reported us to the base police. My friends and I ran from the police and ended up running into the minefield ourselves. We ran about 20 - 30 feet into the minefield then notice the barbwire fence behind us with little red triangles on it, which said "Danger Mines". We very carefully turned around to retrace our steps out of the minefield. The police never caught us.

I suppose I was a real dirt bag when I was in High School. Always causing trouble in some way, shape, or form.

My friend and me did some other bad stuff as kids. But I cleaned up my act once I turned 18 years old. Never been in any trouble since.

I would like to apologize to all the deer lovers out there for my actions as a kid.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Simon,

Using floaties to try to walk on water - that is hilarious!

The go-kart experience reminded me of when I went to a friend's birthday party when I was about 7 or so. His parents had got him a little mini dirt bike (motorized). I got on it and started riding it, but nobody had told me how to stop it, and I ended up crashing it, much to my friend's dismay. His parents just laughed, they thought I was a funny kid.

Your swimming pool experience reminded me of how I got a Speedo swim suit (the kind that looks like ladies panties instead of shorts) when I was 12. I was a skinny skinny skinny kid who had no business wearing a Speedo. People just stared, I think they felt sorry for me! "Don't his parents feed him?" was what they must have wondered to themselves.

But so far I think Dolphin57 is the geekiest. The bedroom DJ, too much! That reminded me of how I made a fake guitar for myself and would play along with the MTV.

Anybody else?

• Valis
    Valis

I used to dress like this at least 3 times a week! Yes, its me...at the Arlington circuit convention hall. I think I was 13 or 14 when this pic was taken.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Playing Star Trek

Playing "wargames" (ooh, don't tell my mom) where my room was the command center.

Building forts in the backyard and playing wargames and startrek in them.

Listening to baseball games on the radio

Spending hours building Lego spaceships and then crashing them immediately

Watching baseball games on TV

Playing with my Commodore 64

Mapping out the entire overworld for Zelda and the adventure of link

Edited by - RandomTask on 11 January 2003 13:45:2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit