Do you still use the name Jehovah when you......

by termite 35 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Introspection
    Introspection

You know, this is all sort of funny when you look at it from a certain common sense perspective.. First of all, just because you know someone's name (even if it is "God's name") does that mean you know THEM? When you go into a store and sees the guy's name tag, it doesn't mean you know that guy particularly well does it? Why would that be any different with God's name? It's supposed to be some kind of magic charm to get God to do something?

When I was at a local XJW Meetup last time, I mentioned to a friend that I don't have an issue with the word God, because by definition it is an unconditional, unlimited term. Of course, as you've noticed people do associate different things with different words, and of course that's just going to depend on the individual's mind. But I thought I'd offer an alternative to both name and title of God - Love. After all, the bible says God is love right? It's not too far fetched, and it would seem like that's not something most people would object to. I would guess the word love would invoke more of a genuine response from an innocent child, the experience would no doubt be very different than a word that brings up a whole system of belief - which does little more than get you to believe things. Why don't you give it a try? Let us know how that goes over won't you?

Edited by - Introspection on 11 January 2003 3:32:14

• Englishman
    Englishman

Termite,

I never use the term Jehovah. Now, a witness will tell you that apostates can't say the word, but that is just a load of old cobblers. Me, I call God "Lord", and for some reason he calls me "Michael" instead of Mike. There again, my own father always used my full name, so maybe we subconsciouly think of our own fathers when we pray.

Not bad for Sat morning, eh?

..and the bloody match has been called off because of a frozen pitch!

Englishman, rambling slightly.

• termite 35
    termite 35

Thanks everyone The issue of whether or not you use the name Jehovah when you stop associating does seem to be a deeply personnal one, as opposed to a taught one- which is a big step forward for us lot, don't you think ?!

Pistoff;

I can understand why you still use it, and it does give an image of not being 'against' the org. which, in your situation would help to keep you close to your family- good luck on getting out unscathed- hopefully with them all too x

Sixofnine;

we've done that !

Unfortunately he feels 'safe' using it - a good point was made by Talisman- do the witnesses use it as a 'charm' to be more approved of somehow? As for change, I think he's had a lot to cope with in the past with his whole understanding of the world being rocked, perhaps after 18 months the time may be right to push for one further change ; although i'd hate my feelings about it to upset him (yes, I know-i'm much to soft- he's my baby )

Brummie-

Father is nice - we use that alot too- I remember asking the wwoman that I was studying with why I had to say Jehovah as Jesus did'nt- she argued that he did-can't remember how or using which scripture-I certainly can't find it- so if it's good enough for him...!

Introspection;

that was a really good point - just knowing someone's name does not automatically mean that you know them. I think God is a wonderfully incompassing, perfectly suitable term too. It is INCLUSIVE to all peoples and not used as an EXCLUSIVE way to 'seperate' as the society does. LOVE is a lovely idea for a name ! it's the love that Jesus offered , gave and showed that draws children to respond with the loyalty I see in my son.Though i'd sound like an Eastender saying it !!

Eman

Your first statement would be my choice. I too heard the 'fact' that apostates can't use his name - I wonder what they thought would happen if we did?! I guess your second point depends on what your father was like !

I like to use the word Father with my son ; it's less of a title and more personnal though it's odd that it did'nt occur to me years ago; then I was told that using his name was more personnal; now it sounds like you're dictating a letter !

Shame about the match - roll on monday; we're heading for a thaw apparently so we should be ok - Sheffield were just on ITV, Gabby and co were singing their praises - it should be a good one.Premiership here we come...?!

Edited by - termite 35 on 11 January 2003 10:41:13

Edited by - termite 35 on 11 January 2003 10:44:30

Edited by - termite 35 on 11 January 2003 10:47:11

• termite 35
    termite 35

Hi BigTex;

Are you in or out ? Just wondering if that affects your outlook . Good point about not letting my embarassment affect my son. I try not to. We talk endlessly about the whole jw experience,but I think as he's effectively 'grown up' within it's frame work of rules and used certain words to gain approval from the cong ( as we all did; proof of you spiritual advancement ) it must be a little scary to drop them .Hopefully as he matures I won't have to keep using the word i've come to detest.

I'm not sure that i'm a Christian any longer, the WTBS spoiled all that for me...but I don't want to label my self as as someone with a fixed spiritual title anyway.

Hello Whyhideit;

I meditate, but with no religious inferences . I like the idea of 'prayer' as a ritual and /or meditation,you sound very calm and relaxed so it must work for you too. - but I do it in a way to calm myself from a busy, sometimes stressful life - just breathing properly and sitting in a quiet place, slowly clearing my mind and calming my soul - I just do what works for me. I think prayer is only a lesser form of meditation anyway-it makes you feel better because you concentrate your mind on your stresses and problems and then relax - nothing magical about that to me, but perhaps i'm a cynic of anything spiritual nowadays

Edited by - termite 35 on 11 January 2003 11:15:56

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

I never felt comfortable with calling him Jehovah I always called him God. Jehovah was made up english translation of YHWH. They didn't know how to translate it so they made something up. Therefore I never called God Jehovah.

• Introspection
    Introspection
    LOVE is a lovely idea for a name ! it's the love that Jesus offered , gave and showed that draws children to respond with the loyalty I see in my son.Though i'd sound like an Eastender saying it !!

Well, it is just an idea, and if you're not comfortable saying it you shouldn't. I would just point out one thing though, and that is if it's going to have any affect it would probably need to be used as a verb.

I would encourage you not to be too self conscious about how you sound, though. Be honest and open with your son, he would no doubt appreciate that and be able to sense it. Ultimately that's the example to set isn't it, not so much teaching them to be a certain way but to show him how to be honest with himself. Jesus said we have to be like young children, and that innocence is an integral part of that attitude. Sometimes the best thing we can do is to avoid corrupting that innocence, and in that way it's something we can learn from them.

• Banshee
    Banshee

I very rarely use the name "Jehovah" at all anymore because of the negative associations it still has for me. Tens years away and it still reminds me of the WTB&TS. When I am praying I use various names like God, Abba, Heavenly Father, Father, or Yahweh. Using those other names helps me to remember that my Higher Power is not the vengeful, punishing "Jehovah" that I was brought up believing in.

I really agree with the suggestion of doing research on this with your child. Also, explaining in simple terms to him why you would rather not use the name "Jehovah" could really help. Kids are a lot smarter and stronger than we sometimes think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit