Cognitive Dissonance

by LexIsFree 35 Replies latest jw friends

• LexIsFree
    LexIsFree
    @Diana I know exactly what you mean. I never bring up religion with my mom. She always brings it up. I let her talk. I listen. The minute I try to express what I have learned or my opinion her response is "Let's not talk about this" or "I have to go". They are so willing to push what they believe on you, but won't even take a second to listen to another opinion. It's disheartening.
  • cha ching
    cha ching

Wikipedia

In psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental stress or discomfort experienced by an individual who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values at the same time, or is confronted by new information that conflicts with existing beliefs, ideas, or values.[1][2]

Leon Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance focuses on how humans strive for internal consistency. An individual who experiences inconsistency (dissonance) tends to become psychologically uncomfortable, and is motivated to try to reduce this dissonance—as well as actively avoid situations and information likely to increase it.[1]

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Denial as a sub product of Cognitive Dissonance?

Eden

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

A vast majority of JWs, in the Spanish side that is, are in for pure social and familiar interaction. We could not care any less about doctrinal crap.

And child abuse?! Big whoop-dee-doo, that is everywhere, and I mean everywhere!!! Along with all other ailments of our own human imperfection.

SL

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    I was having a discussion with some self proclaimed JWs over at jw-archive this past week. I found it interesting that this person was well aware of all the bad rap given to JWs regarding their cultish behavior and its foundations. One of them being cognitive dissonance. He or she is convinced that the term is misapplied and that is a matter of perspective. In her or his view, we are the ones suffering the dissonance.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Sofia Lose - "And child abuse?! Big whoop-dee-doo, that is everywhere, and I mean everywhere!!!"

All the more reason to do something about it.

x

Also, clearly, it's never affected you personally, because there's no f**king way you'd talk like that if it had.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit