Cognitive Dissonance

by LexIsFree 35 Replies latest jw friends

• LexIsFree
    LexIsFree
    The cognitive dissonance amongst JWs has never been more obvious to me then what I just experience in the last 5 min. Long story short I had a phone conversation w/my mom about some things and I mentioned to her to look up what has been going on with their beloved organization in Australia. Brother Geoffrey Jackson of the holy Governing Body was caught lying numerous times about several subjects including disassociations & shunning. What was my mother's response? "Alot of people pretend to be active JWs. This Brother Jackson you speak of is probably not an active JW." LMFAO I couldn't contain myself. GJ is not only an active JW. He's a member of your Governing Body who sets a your doctrine and rules!!!!! You can't make this stuff up. Comedy at its finest.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila

This Brother Jackson you speak of is probably not an active JW."

That is hilarious! :joy:

• LexIsFree
    LexIsFree
    Can't make this stuff up. Makes me very angry honestly. But it also shows you how much non-attention they pay to their golden calf JW.org and JW TV. How many times has GJ been on there?
  • Sabin
    Sabin
    Bless!
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

LF's Mom: This Brother Jackson you speak of is probably not an active JW.

WTF?!?

Your mom doesn't even know who determines what she "believes."

That's pretty sad, dude.

• LexIsFree
    LexIsFree
    Beyond sad. But we are the bad ones because WE determine what WE believe
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Reminds me of a sister I knew that had never heard of Charles Russell.
  • CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

While this is a typical example of JW denial, it is not cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive dissonance is a feeling of discomfort and mental stress. Symptoms of cognitive dissonance include saying repetitious phrases like "I don't understand!" Or "I can't listen to this anymore!"

The person may cover their ears, or if the cognitive dissonance is caused by something they see, they may shut their eyes. Some run in fear from what causes the stress. Some may grow angry, violent, curse, feel sick, sweat, get nervous, scared, get a headache, even contemplate suicide.

But what you are talking about is merely lying to oneself or making excuses. True, cognitive dissonance may lead to denial, but it is the step before that. People cannot function with cognitive dissonance and seek immediate relief. Some wake up, others go into denial, a minority go mad over the experience.

In the end, once denial is chosen there is no more dissonance as denial is a solution which brings relief.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I have experience this first hand. A JW relatives recollection of events can be a lot different than reality.
  • Driving Force
    Driving Force

"This Brother Jackson you speak of is probably not an active JW."

This maybe true. Have you seen his Field Service report?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit