How do I tell my family I'm no longer a JW?

by YellowLab 22 Replies latest jw friends

• SworeOffJah
    SworeOffJah

I say don't be a coward and disassociate yourself; disassociate yourself without being a coward. (Of course, I say a lot of stuff... judge its value for yourself) Quit deceaving your JW family (I don't spell very well, do I). Get on with your life and let them go on with theirs, of course theirs will be much long that yours. Does that make any sense--"much long that yours"? Hmm... where was I? Oh yeah... all those living empty lives are just kidding themselves. How many generations have died since the generation that would not die? No, wait... that's not my point... hang on, gotta go bone up on some more society tofu, I'm slipping. Rom. 3:11 tells you why.

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

I think that by the time I actually told my family, they already knew. I have little children that love singing Christmas carols, and sharing what they got on their birthdays. At first, my family assumed that my husband (who was never a JW) did these things for them.

They figured it out when I refused their invitations to the memorial and circuit assemblies and district conventions. Eventually, I got tired of being evasive. I was like, 'I'm an adult and this is my life, dangit!' I told my grandmother and mom that I attend church, and after screaming and ranting about me being an apostate they pretty much let it go. I have a couple of family members that choose to practice shunning, however, I didn't like them much to begin with!

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik
    I am more than willing to respect their beliefs... all I ask is the same respect in return. - Elsewhere

Yeah. That's whut I don't get. Their God says I have the choice, the free will, but they don't respect that.
    And it ties in so nicely with the *Golden Rule*.
    Then again, Jesus said he came to bring not peace but to put a sword and cause division between family members.
    All's fair in love an war, I guess. Isn't it *him* whose example we are to *follow closely*?
    It would appear that as long as you are convinced you have God's backing, (or that you are God as the case may be),
    you pretty much have carte blanche.

It seems God is an awfully good excuse humans use to do bad things to each other.

I still say "popular opinion is a crutch".

Edited by - SPAZnik on 10 January 2003 16:16:31

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit