Meetings

by JH 13 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Hebrews 10:25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-- and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

The Dubs teached this as an obligation to go to the meetings.

So how does this verse apply to us, now that are out of the Watchtower?

• freedom96
    freedom96

Good question. Maybe it is as simple as simply enjoying the company of each other with like minds.

• happyout
    happyout

Jesus and his disciples did not have 5 meetings a week, as a matter of fact, the Bible does not even mention a weekly meeting. I think in this aspect, meeting could simply be exchanging encouraging words. After all, God did say where two or more are gathered together in my name, there I am also. Or, maybe reading this and other enlightening web sites, and sharing thoughts and views is a form of meeting

• JH
    JH

Let us not give up meeting together

Maybe it means that we should always be on this site and encourage one another, because of what the Watchtower did to us.

• undercover
    undercover

I've wondered 'bout that one myself. By not going to any kind of services, is that in conflict with that scripture?

happyout said:

Jesus and his disciples did not have 5 meetings a week, as a matter of fact, the Bible does not even mention a weekly meeting. I think in this aspect, meeting could simply be exchanging encouraging words. After all, God did say where two or more are gathered together in my name, there I am also. Or, maybe reading this and other enlightening web sites, and sharing thoughts and views is a form of meeting

They may not have had 5 meetings a week or scheduled service times, but as Christianity grew, there were congregations. Paul visited them. Letters were read to them at some kind of meeting apparently. How does that corelate(sp?) to today?

Not that I'm admonishing anyone to rush to the book study tonight Just curious.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

What does dub mean?

• undercover
    undercover
    What does dub mean?

Dub = Jehovah's Witness shortened to JW shortened to W shortened to Dubya shortened to Dub is how I've always figured it happened.

Could also be a play on the above and the fact that they are duped.

Someone else may have the official answer.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Also JW -> Jay Dub -> Dub

AlanF

• JeffT
    JeffT

Stefanie, 'dub' is shorthand for JW. And welcome to the board, I haven't had a chance to say hi yet on your thread.

I think that the writer of Hebrews (probably not Paul according to my bible encyclopedia) had in mind was simply getting together, singing, talking, praying etc. The early congregations met in homes, and I believe that the whole arrangement was very informal. I'd saying posting here counts.

• jws
    jws

Looking at this verse without Watchtower blinders, to me it says meeting together with other people to encourage and be encouraged.

Going to a church service is not necessarily what it means. Meeting with one or more fellow Christians, in my opinion, would be what this verse is asking for. That may mean going out to eat, going to the zoo, whatever. It doesn't have to mean a service.

If you ask me, JW meeting attendance was quite different from the way I now see this verse. If you got there early, there might be some visiting with others. Then the meeting started and you listened. The only interaction between people was in a very defined question and answer format with strict rules for who could talk and what they could talk about. Then, after the meeting, many had to leave so you couldn't always visit with them afterwards either.

And for the most part, the same is true of most churches I have visited. You're meant to come, sit, and listen. Although many other churches have a more lively, upbuilding message to listen to that preaches joy, not oppression.

When the JWs did have get-togethers, this was, to me, more upbuilding than meeting attendance. It would have also been nice to sometimes learn about the Bible informally in talking to others. But since that was frowned upon (you can only learn from WBTS publications), this didn't happen. There didn't seem to be too much religious talk unless it was about JW rules or assemblies, etc. Never the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit