Wish I wasn't wishy-washy!

by rebel 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Your feelings are those of billions of fellow humans, even among those "devout" the faith is sythetic, forced by necessity. This is the result of 400 years of revelations that have made the concept of a beneficent Universal King manifestly outdated. Not just science but social and economic change have created a world wherein certainty is a liablity. Bible interpretors in an effort to defend it have reduced the book to symbolism and morally edifying literature. Others have discarded rational thought to preserve a measure of the "old time religion" of their ancestors. Frustration presides in debates rather than the peaceful resolution of faith.The modern skeptic does not wantonly reject belief as churchgoers assert. Our situaton is more serious , with the best of intentions we simply find ourselves not quite believing. It is into this void that humanism will eventually rise. It will not have the power to blind as religion of the past but it can unite in a sense of community. But for now know that there is nothing wrong with you and your approach has been admirable. Do not deny yourself the joy of learning. The advice to stop and smell the roses is of course healthy but stopping the education is not.The next step may be to ask the whys. Why does belief in gods not go away? why do people believe in angels, demons and UFOs even today? Why am I drawn to these concepts dispite my seeing nothing to recommend them? As a suggestion please read :How We Believe,the search for God in an age of reason by Michael Shermer. It and books of its kind provide valuable insight into the human mind. This is where much of your uncertainty will vanish. You can get it at the Skeptic Society web page in hardcover for $10.00. It will have anther price listed but it is on sale. I remember all too well your feelings, but be assured you can reach the light at the end of the tunnel as long as you keep moving forward. Best wishes.

Edited by - peacefulpete on 7 January 2003 10:42:40

• Sirona
    Sirona
    Others have discarded rational thought to preserve a measure of the "old time religion" of their ancestors.

I resent your suggestion that I don't have rational thought because I consider myself "pagan". Moreover, I don't believe neo-paganism IS "preserving" the old time religion since noone knows what the old time religions were really about. Get educated about paganism.

Sirona

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Sirona,

I resent your suggestion that I don't have rational thought because I consider myself "pagan". Moreover, I don't believe neo-paganism IS "preserving" the old time religion since noone knows what the old time religions were really about. Get educated about paganism.

I don't think Peacefulpete was referring to you personally, or Paganism exclusively.

Spanner

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Resent it all you like. But I was actually refering to fundamentalism. I have friends who are Wicca and the same retreat of the mind to give place for belief has taken place in them. Most are frank about this. And tell me that "more exists than can be proven" or something like that. To which I say "sure, but what has been proven answers all my questions. And I hate the smell of incense."

Edited by - peacefulpete on 7 January 2003 13:55:37

• wildfire
    wildfire

hey there buddy iam listening to a song called ORDINARY WORLD BY DURAN DURAN I THINK IT SUMS UP ALOT OF THE TURMOIL REAL WELL (I LOVE MUSIC,,, IT SOOTHES THE SAVAGE BEAST AHAHHA) I TURNED ON THE LIGHTS ,, THE TV THE RADIO,, STILL I CANT ESCAPE THE GHOST IN YOU......I WONT CRY FOR YESTERDAY,,, THERES A N ORDINARY WORLD I HAVE TO FIND AND AS I TRY TOFIND A WAY TO THE ORDINARY WORLD I WILL LEARN TO SURVIVE...PRIDE WILL TEAR US BOTH APART,,,,,LEFT ME IN THE VACUMME OF MY HEART WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME CRAZY SOME SAY WHERE IS MY FRIEND WHEN I NEED HIM MOST BUT I WONT CRY FOR YESTERDAY... THERE IS AN ORDINARY WORLD I HAVE TO FIND......PAPERS IN ROADSIDE TELLOF SUFFERING ANDGRIEF HERE TODAY GONE TOMORROW .........I DONT CRY FOR YESTERDAY THERES AN ORDINARY WORLD I HAVE TO FIND.......I WILL LEARN TO SURVIVE.......SHALOM MY FRIEND (SORRY didnt mean to shout i was listening to song and typing ahahahahh)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit