Were You Ashamed To Be Identified As A JW?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

When I was a JW, I was very proud to be one and did my best to be a good person. I still do that, only now I do it to make the human race look better and not just one organization.

• minimus
    minimus

The real test as to whether you were ashamed to be a Jehovah's Witness or not was doing house-to-house in your very own neighborhood. NOBODY liked that! Sometimes what would happen would be that the neighbor would indignantly ask how they could possibly come preaching at their door when at home, they were certainly not acting like Christians.....Yep, I liked that.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

It was not a problem for me .Neighbors knew who I was .Nothing to be ashamed of in the hood.I believed it .Practiced it,24/7,I was never off duty.Late into the night early into the morning many many times.I was approachable,tried to be CHRIST LIKE in the home, on the job, and in the hood.

Blueblades

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

The only time I remotely felt ashamed. Was when I was in High School and went to a girls house that I thought was the prettiest girl in High School. You know the one you dreamed about all the time, but never got to talk too. Well she was nice, and I went along with my presentation. Then the next day in school she actually said hello and did not just walk by and ignore me anymore. It did not last long, and I never made a return visit. It was just something I remembered and thought I would share. I think most people have some sort of religious "something" they would not feel comfortable talking or sharing with people outside of their faith.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

No. When I was growing up I wore it as a badge of honor. See I bought into the whole thing down to my cells. So when I was heckled by the kids and teachers I viewed as confirmation that I was "in the truth". Yes, not one of my brighter thoughts I agree.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I always HATED having to identify myself as a JW... I was always soooo imbarrased about it.

• starfish422
    starfish422

Yes, when I was in public school and high school (which coincided with the greater portion of the time I was in the Borg) I would absolutely die if someone I knew from school answered the door during service. And avoided discussions of the subject in school, like the plague.

And my parents always made me call on my teachers. SIGH.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

For a while, I loved being identified as "Haughty JW Woman" with her black bookbag and tacky dresses that clashed with everything. Then I began to realize this wasn't a normal thing to do, go out door-to-door trying to give these magazines to people who just wished you would go away. Thank goodness my Saturdays now are in my bed asleep instead of waking up some poor soul I didn't even know to tell him about something I just didn't believe anymore.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Constant humiliation and embarassment.

Glad to be out!

ESTEE

• dottie
    dottie

Never would admit to it, even when I was younger. Always blamed it on my mom. LOL

Dottie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit