Were You Ashamed To Be Identified As A JW?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

2 Tim.2:15 says," Do your utmost to present yourself approved to God, a workman with nothing to be ashamed of,handling the word of the truth aright." When you were at work, school or play did you find yourself ashamed to tell anyone that you were a Witness? What if they found out anyway? Did you try to act better or did you feel, "the hell with it"?

• freedom96
    freedom96

I was a witness all growing up, up to mid twenties. I never identified myself to anyone as a witness unless I was going door to door.

• AlanF
    AlanF

During the times I was an active Dub, I was not ashamed. But there were times when I was unsure that the Dubs were the one true religion, and then I was ashamed.

AlanF

• IronGland
    IronGland

Yeah I was to a certain extent. Part of the problem is that when I was a teenager, I no longer believed any of it. I was just going along in order to keep peace in my family until i was of age to make my own decisions. I would usually explain this to people ( school friends etc.) so they were usually more sympathetic rather than just thinking I was some kind of weirdo for not participating in normal activities.

• Francois
    Francois

Are you nuts? If asked, I said I was a Baptist.

francois

• JH
    JH

I always hated to be different. I never liked to be in the spotlight. So telling someone I was a JW put me in the spotlight. At work a few knew that I was a JW, so everybody knew after a while. They would love to make fun of me because I was a JW. At work there were pictures of nude woman on the wall, and often guys would ask me if I liked these pictures. They knew I was a JW. They used to say to me, would you sleep with a girl like that? They just wanted to see my reaction. It is hell, when people at work know that you are a JW. I was working in a factory, then, so maybe it was worse. No matter where I worked, sooner or later someone would make a joke about JW's. So I just kept quiet and never told those people that I was a JW. I was sort of living a lie.

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

I was never a JW!! You mean this forum is for Ex-JW's??

Ruby of.. the still in denial.. class.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Minimus,when I was a True Believer,I was not Ashamed.I would inform the school about my children,on the job everyone understood that I was a JW.In the neighborhood they all knew etc.

Now I keep a very low profile,I don't attend meetings or go out preaching anymore,trying to do the fade for now.The kids are out of school,I changed jobs, and the neighbors don't know whats going on with me. Bueblades

• minimus
    minimus

Recently, I talked to a man that has known about my being a Witness for years. He asked how everything in the religion was. He had studied 20 years before.I told him about all the negative things going on, especially dealing with pedophiles, the UN, and Witness attitudes. He then asked me if I still was a "believer". I told him that in all honesty, I couldn't say that the Jehovah's Witness is the true religion. I said that as much as I felt there were many good people with good ideals, I didn't believe in the foundation of the religion, which are simple uninspired men. He then told me that he could never figure out why I was a Witness since I seemed more intelligent than the average....(His words, not mine).....So, in the meantime, I'm a bad, bad Witness.

• TheItalian
    TheItalian

I say "I am a practicing-not-believing " Jehovah's witness.

God Save the Penguin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit