Paul Grundy

by Lozza Aussie 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Lozza Aussie
    Lozza Aussie
    Hi all, been a while since I posted here. I am in Australia and heard Paul Grundy being interviewed by someone on ABC radio in Sydney. It was good to put a voice to the guy on JW Facts. His story was interesting about growing up in "the truth" and how he spent 35 years there. He said something which I thought was really good, that he always looks to the positive side of things rather than lamenting all those wasted years, he lost friends and family after being disfellowshipped. He said that he is very happy today as I guess most people including myself who get out if this disgusting cult are. I have a current JW who contacts me by phone sometimes trying to get me back there but I won't be asking for reinstatement. I disassociated myself by letter in October 2013 after an incident with an elder and the way the boys club treated me as a single woman.
  • Splash
    Splash

The cure for JW fundamentalism is Paul Grundymentalism

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I bet the WTS/GB is sorry that they just didn't just let Paul Grundy fade away and leave him alone.

He's been like a one-man army -- or more like a sniper -- who sits back patiently and picks off JWs one at a time as they stray to his website of "JWfacts". Once a partially awakened JW finds the facts, it's over for them. Another casualty for WT. Another life freed from the cult.

Doc

• Driving Force
    Driving Force

DOC

Yep, you are certainly right there, "JWfacts" certainly helped me.

• Dumplin
    Dumplin

She said at the very end: "I can see it was painful for you as you were telling me this"

The interviewer could see his face where we couldn't. I'm glad she told us this. The pain of split up families does not fade. I'm sorry for your loss, Paul. We suffer together.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yep, you are certainly right there, "JWfacts" certainly helped me.

Yes, JWFacts is exhaustive......or even exhausting. There is SO MUCH info there. Occasionally I've gone there to research an issue and have a hard time getting through everything to find what I was originally looking for.

I don't know how Paul found the time and effort to research it all and organize it all and make it available to all. WTS would be wise to see what can happen if you push a person too far. I think it's the intellectual way of having "gone postal".

Thanks Paul!

Doc

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    JWFacts is truly a GREAT website, and a great NAME for a website too.
  • umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

"I can see it was painful for you as you were telling me this"

Dumplin, that was the strong impression I had. Although he had been brave, he was still a victim of the shunning and had built his life up, despite this ostracism. No one could see his face and his voice was measured. I felt the woman conducting the interview was wise to let the listening audience know that this was "hard" on him. She was smart to say what she said and without being condescending in any way......

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thanks for the kind comments. Here is a link to the podcast.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2015/08/21/4297526.htm

The podcasts get over one million downloads and the live radio interview has hundreds of thousands of listeners. I could not believe how many people I knew regularly listen to the show and contacted me after hearing it.

• obfuscate
    obfuscate

The program that Paul was interviewed on - "Conversations with Richard Fidler" - was an important source of external information for me at a time when I was afraid of external information but knew that something was not quite right. A very important interview for me was with Professor Robert Crotty - a Catholic priest and academic. He wrote a book called 3 Revolutions that outlined his journey from true believer to where he is today. Another really interesting interview on the same program was Nadine Brown.

The regular interviewer (Richard Fidler) has a very different style to Ellen Fanning (Paul's interviewer). Ellen was a 60 Minutes journo for a while and I think that sensationalist style was on show at times - the "slave" comment as an example. Paul did a great job keeping the interview on facts, trying to keep the emotion and animosity out of it, while presenting a very human story.

One of the recurring themes for the program is that it examines how people cope (or sometimes don't cope!) when they are faced with a situation or life circumstance that requires them to examine what they believe, why they believe it and whether those beliefs are the "self evident truths" that they imagined them to be. The fact that there are other people that are willing to take the bull by the horns and face these hard questions (some on an almost unimaginable scale) was an important factor in giving me the courage to make my own examination. I highly recommend having a browse thru the back catalogue.

As has been noted by others, JWFacts was also another important factor. As such, a very big thank you Paul for your hard work and persistence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit