Too close to home

by JH 14 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

When you were going from door to door, did you hate knocking at doors in your neighbourhood? I wonder if the elders did on purpose to distribute territories so that you would have to be working in your neighbourhood.

Often I noticed that elders gave me a territory in my neighbourhood, just to see if I would be ill at ease. Maybe they wanted to know if I had worldly friends in my neighbourhood. Did that happen to you?

• Soledad
    Soledad

just the opposite in my case our territories were very far away from my home.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

We lived first in BFE so we were always in the boonies thunderrider was once chased by a Turkey! In Mass it was local but I didn't know anyone so it wasn't a bother at all.

• Scully
    Scully

The elders liked to keep the suburban territory for themselves, I think, and used to give out as much rural territory as possible. Why would they want all that wear and tear on THEIR cars, when someone else could do it?

Love, Scully

• Mary
    Mary

I always used to pray that I wouldn't call on any students I went to high school with. There was one guy that I was MADLY in love with in high school, and I simply refused to call on his door. Nobody, not any elder, their wives or even the CO could persuade me to call on his house..........

That was the ultimate in humiliation, calling on a guy that you're attracted to, and then try talking to him about religion.........no way!!

• ugg
    ugg

i detested working the territory we lived in...would refuse to call on close by neighbors...

• JNS2
    JNS2

My first time in service was in my neighborhood. The elder I went with said I wouldn't have to talk til I was comfortable. At the 2nd door he said it was my turn, I guess he was a "throw you in the deep end to learn to swim" type. I stammered like an idiot while he said nothing. How embarrasing.

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

I remember one time we were calling on apartments in my neighborhood. these apt.s were seperated by a cple. of chain link fences to a field and just beyond the field was my house.well i had to ride the school bus with these people and it was a saturday. almost certain they would be home. so i went out in the territory with them and as soon as i went to a door i recognised i knocked so gently that the elder with me just pounded on the door. well needless to say they guy i went to school with was there.i eeked out a lil presentation(so embarising),(sp).well when we left that building we met up with some late comers,so as the elder was assigning them what part of the complex to work. i did an about face and high tailed it home.man i hated field service,even more so in my own neighborhood.

• Flip
    Flip

Back in 1969, I visited some street smart Pioneers in Toronto (Yorkville area) Canada.

Whenever they ran into someone during field service whom they would rather not find out they were Jehovah's Witnesses, they would use the line that they were representing the Watchtower Binding and Tractor Society and wondered if anyone was interested in purchasing a subscription to a used farm equipment catalogue.

• auntiem
    auntiem

When I got tired of knocking on doors and ringing doorbells I would put my finger very close to the doorbell but not push it. Especially when I was working house over house with another pioneer.....whew we had a lot of rural territory and I think in the past 20 years I have walked every acre of it!!! At first I would dread finding someone at home who knew me because my profession pre WTBTS was a bartender and the towns in our territory are small where everyone knows everyone else. Then I kinda got used to it, or became numb.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit