What was your deadline?

by JH 15 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

When you joined the JW's, what year did you set in your mind as the latest date for the new system? We were all told that the end was very close, but how close did you think it was, when you joined? If you would have known that the end was atleast 30 or 50 years away, would you have pioneered as much, or would you have given as much time to them, or would you have kept much more time for yourself?

• Soledad
    Soledad

an elder once told me that the end would come in 2002, so I set my "spiritual deadlines" for that date--I tried pioneering and wanted to go to bethel. then in 1996 I just grew bored of it all. I left for good in 1998. and 2002 is done and over with, so I have to wonder what that dumb elder is thinking of next.

• Valis
    Valis

I think maybe it went in stages for me even though deep down I hated going to meetings and service, etc......when I was very young and it would storm really bad or there would be tornadic activity I always had that thought in my head that "oh boy! paradise here we come!"...then as I got older and I watched news programs I started compiling all the bad things that happened and figured "yep...here we go..." then by the time I hit my teens I had the ligering thought that "yeah...maybe it could happen...." then.....I discovered how pleasant females could be and just didn't give a dam if I was gonna die or not..*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• freedom96
    freedom96

I grew up as a witness, and though I never put an exact date on when I thought the end was coming, I did feel cheated out of a life. I wanted to grow old, have a family, enjoy life on earth, in this "system of things". I happen to love it here!

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

I have to agree with you freedom I too was raised in it and felt the same way. Now I am old enough to my own family, what happened my Mom always said I wouldn't see adulthood.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

At first, I agreed that we were indeed living in the time of the end, but somehow I could never reconcile myself to a certain date. Whenever we had chronology lessons, my mind just tuned right out. I still couldn't explain to you the whole Daniel years thing. Those dates just wouldn't stick in my head, no matter how hard I tried to memorize them:)

I wanted to pioneer because I thought that's what a person who wanted to show that they loved God should do. I had to wait until my children were older,though (I just couldn't force my kids to sit all day in a car-it didn't seem natural or loving to me). By the time I could do it, I couldn't find anyone who would pioneer with me (I was considered "bad association" because of local gossip).I had mixed feelings about pioneering. I loved talking with others about the Bible, but I always felt as a publisher that I was invading people's privacy when I called on them without their invitation in the early morning (maybe it's because I would have rather been sleeping in than knocking on doors waking people up. I always liked afternoon door to door better-people seemed to be a little less cranky when you didn't drag them out of bed).

I never made spirtual deadlines, consequently, I was always considered to be spiritually weak.

• La Capra
    La Capra

I was in fourth grade (1976, hmm, any connection?) when I realized it just wouldn't happened in the middle of the morning oatmeal-which was how I always envisioned it occurring (probably related to the reading of the day's text Mom tried to force down our throats along with the mush). It was at that time that I decided I would see the end of high school, probably college, and possibly my life before the new system of things arrived. From that point on, I led an extremely conflicted life. I knew deep down there was no urgency to the field service, nor to going to meetings and being the obedient child until my baptism. And ultimately I wasn't afraid of dying into nothingness. I did struggle to be accepted by the other kids in the congregation, but ultimately didn't give a damn. Then was treated badly for having worldy friends instead. Because of that I never could truly be "good friends" with the worldly kids either. I still am not able to maintain good quality friendships because of this conflicted childhood. I try, I pretend, but it just doesn't seem real.
    Shoshana

• Scully
    Scully

Soledad writes:

an elder once told me that the end would come in 2002, so I set my "spiritual deadlines" for that date--I tried pioneering and wanted to go to bethel. then in 1996 I just grew bored of it all. I left for good in 1998. and 2002 is done and over with, so I have to wonder what that dumb elder is thinking of next.

OMG!! I wonder if you were talking to the guy who posts here as "proplog2"..... He recently posted here that the Great Tribulation would begin on December 20, 2002. He's been conspicuous by his absence since then.

Love, Scully

• onacruse
    onacruse

1975. I told a high school "acquaintance" (of course, not 'friend,' since he was worldly ) that 1975 was such a sure thing that if the end DIDN'T happen then I would have to seriously rethink my lifelong religion.

Well, the year came and the end didn't, and I went out the door in 1980. Came back (for family) in 1981, and didn't really have a date set in my mind, but pretty much thought the end would come by 2000 (the "generation" thing). When the new puke about the generation came out, I started my final fade.

Craig

• Soledad
    Soledad

Scully LOL I doubt it's the same person. that elder said that to me in 1992. unless that poster was an elder, living in Yonkers? I guess anything is possible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit