Reparations for slavery: Just or unjust?

by MYOHNSEPH 43 Replies latest jw friends

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

I'm with Cedric the Entertainer on this one, "The only thing reperations will do is make Cadillac the number one car dealer in the country." Hey, c'mon you can't be serious all the time.

• LDH
    LDH

Millie states:

My grandparents came here from Norway

Well, isn't that special!!!

This is just one example of how people assume things are "equal" because they say it is. Millie, do you know any black people in this country who are not first-generation immigrants that know, EXACTLY, where in Africa their ancestors came from? Africa is a CONTINENT, not a country, and there are MANY cultures. Not everyone has a bone in thier nose and shouts "OOOGA-BOOOGA".

Now, what is it worth to you to know details and particulars about your ethnicity? Do you like telling your children stories about your homeland?

Don't you think blacks would too? NOW....that's just an example of how things today are MOST CERTAINLY NOT "equal for all of us."

While I DON'T support reparations as it's been discussed, I believe we should strip the family fortunes from those enriched by slavery (yes, there are thousands who still line the Deep South and the banks of the Mississippi) and TAKE that money and funnel it into healthcare for ALL children.

Lisa

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Thanks Lisa- I do not support reperations in general either- However, there are two sides to every coin. It amazes me how quickly such discussions can get ugly. Clearly there is still a lot of anger and some hatred in the good old USA. I do still stand by my original comments- ex-jws should, of all people, have more empathy in regards to such issues. Though I am not pro reperations I can see the other side of the issue. Though I am against the "war on Iraq" I would put money on the war moving ahead.

• rocky220
    rocky220

The past can't be changed.......Truth be told, WE ARE ALL IN THE SAME FIX MY FRIENDS, and that is if something is not done soon in our lifetime....we face extinction by nuclear holocust...so you see, past injustices, white superiority, black oppression, blah blah blah, just fades away at the prospect....[didn't mean to bum nobody out]rocky220

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

Since my ancestors were Irish, the Irish were often indentured servants, & no one liked them, I want reparations too! I don't care if Kennedy was electred president, I want reparations (stomps off ranting and raving)

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    While I DON'T support reparations as it's been discussed, I believe we should strip the family fortunes from those enriched by slavery

How will you determine, after at least 6 or 7 generations since anyone owned a slave, which part of these "family fortunes" was made by the efforts of the family members themselves, and which part resulted from the efforts of slaves? Surely you wouldn't want to strip them of any portion of their fortunes that they earned through their own efforts, apart from the exploitation of slaves? The members of these families must have been doing something these last 150 or so years, no?

Or do you just think, like many liberals, that rich people deserve to be pillaged just because they have more than you do?

Edited by - NeonMadman on 6 January 2003 9:40:49

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Since I'm a mutt, with alot of irish, norsk, scott, brit, and native american, and a little african american, you can all pay me 3 fold. Just kidding, I think repreasitions are silly.

• LDH
    LDH
    How will you determine, after at least 6 or 7 generations since anyone owned a slave, which part of these "family fortunes" was made by the efforts of the family members themselves, and which part resulted from the efforts of slaves?

Yeah, you're right. That would be impossible.

Lisa

• target
    target

Lisa:

I do not see the connection between my grandparents coming from Norway and your statement that I think all things are equal. My point was that my grandparents were not in this country during slavery.

Now, what is it worth to you to know details and particulars about your ethnicity? Do you like telling your children stories about your homeland?

No, I don't. I consider this country my homeland. This is where I was born. My father did not tell stories about Norway either.

As far as things being equal, I never said that. I said the opportunities are there no matter what the race.

And I wasn't nasty when I said it.

Millie

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Yeah, you're right. That would be impossible.

Glad we're in agreement, then.

'Cause I have too much respect for you to think that you'd just want to take away everything they have just because they are rich. Unfortunately, some people think exactly that way - it's not fair that some people have more than others, so we have to use government to rob from the rich and give to the poor. So if you could come up with a dollar-for-dollar accounting of which part of these families' fortunes came from exploitation of slaves, then we could talk. Of course, the reparations would only apply to individuals who could prove that they were descendants of slaves owned by these families, and each case would have to be decided individually. And I still think the whole idea is founded on shaky principles. But if you think it would be worth it, yeah, go ahead and give it a try...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit