Anyone here into Swing Dancing/Music?

by pr_capone 23 Replies latest jw friends

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

While I'm not a dancer myself, have three left feet, it seems, I love the music. I'm afraid I haven't gotten into the modern bands, though, and still prefer the originals from the late 30s and early 40s.

Lew W

• ugg
    ugg

i just love watching dance competition on tv....have only seen it a few times though...it is just fantastic.....i do not dance myself though....

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

ESTEE,

I'd love to learn how to dance the dances you mentioned...especially the Latin dances....how cool!!

Swing dancing would also be fun to try!

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Hey Estee we used to do all those dances too. Ballroom esp swing got real big in the NW a few years back. Mu uncle had taught me to dance when I was in grade school and I'd always loved the old musicals and Fred and Ginger, so I grew up with the music. I luv Glen Miller, Benny Goodman, Duke Elington, the Dorsey's, Lionel Hampton ohhh too many to number. I also like a lot of the newer bands that have the old sound. My fav's are the 'Squirrell Nut Zippers', 'Cherry Popping Daddies', Brian Sezter....well you get the idea. I used to listen to the tapes of Cherry Poppin Daddies when they were just a garage band from Eugene OR, we'd listen at school and dance around it was soo great to hear their music a few years later on the radio I was like hey wait I know this 'New' song. If you've never heard of or danced to Squirell Nut Zippers you just have to they do everything from swing, charleston, gypsy, polka, blues everything and have a wonderful style. I think they're from the Carolinas and did the Dick Clark New Years show a few years ago.

I love to swing, but it's been sooooo long since I've gone or had someone to swing with

Ven

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Here is where we used to go dancing. It's the Historic 'Crystal Ballroom' in Portland Or. It has the only floating dance floor left in the US. The hardwood floor is bouncy and is great for dancing, and puts a real spring in your step. It's a beautifull old room on the 4th floor.

Taking their conceptualization of airiness to an uncommon level, Tegen and Ringler incorporated a special "floating" floor into the ballroom's design. This unusual floor consisted of a layer of beautiful maple boards, under which were laid a series of rockers (like those of a rocking chair). Ball bearings were attached to the two ends of each rocker. The action of this mechanical device was a very fluid, up-and-down movement, which could be adjusted by a ratcheted gear to best suit different dance styles. Testimonials of many long-time dance patrons of the ballroom claim it was "like dancing on a cloud."

A 1961 Oregon Journal article suggests that Ringler's architect, Robert Tegen, built three other ballrooms with "floating" floors: one in Chicago, another in Los Angeles, and the third in New York. However, according to the article, the Crystal's floor was the only one to have survived into the 1960s.

for a better view http://www.mcmenamins.com/QTVR/crystal.html

Wow that just brought back a lot of memories...........

Ven
    It don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing.. bapadbabbdbdbababdbdadddooooo

Edited by - VeniceIT on 5 January 2003 23:16:40

• COMF
    COMF

OMG, she's gorgeous and she dances swing, too! Estee, take me now, hon!

I started learning east coast swing in 2000 when I moved to Dallas. Went to to lessons at the Tom Landry Fitness Center where I was a member, and we actually went out dancing to a live swing band once. Unfortunately, my partner-at-the-time was not as interested as I was, and was only going along because she knew I wanted her to. The lack of enthusiasm showed in her dancing, and when I realized she wasn't enjoying herself I stopped going. She didn't protest a bit.

I would love to get started again. Estee, please tell me you live in Texas! I'll dance witcha!

(edited to add...)

Two favorite swingers of mine. The CDs contain more of the same as the songs on these pages, and are well worth buying.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/47/jellyroll.html

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/16/veronica_martell.html

I practice by playing along with CDs of Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and the Brian Setzer Orchestra. I'd almost pay for the chance to play with a live swing band, I want to so badly. But although I've kept an unwinking eye out, there just doesn't seem to be much of that going on in big D.

Edited by - COMF on 5 January 2003 23:56:36

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I have been to quite a few live bands. There is NOTHING like dancing to a live band. Squirrel Nut Zippers are great but they do more charleston than anything else. For some "unknown" band you want to look up (kazza is great for this) Bill Elliot Swing Orchestra, Blues Jumper, Lee Press on and the Nails, Lavay Smith and her red hot skillet lickers (saw them live, AWESOME), an oldie but a goodie is Louis Prima. As for some of the newer stuff, I LOVE Brian Setzer, especialy Americano.

COMF - A link you might find interesting is http://www.dsds.org/index_main.shtml. That is the Dallas Swing Dance Society home page, they will always have people there for you to dance with. If not we have a live band here in wichita I believe on the 19th. You are welcome to make the drive.

Ven - *singing* It don't mean a thing all you gotta do is sing, doo wah doo wah doo wah doo wah doo waaaah. It makes no differance if its sweet or hot, just sing that thing give it everything you got.. OHHHHHH. By far one of my favorites, a song you may really like is Bei Mir Bis Du Schoen. Killer song, it starts off with a great beat and slows down right in the middle. As you are dancing to it and slowly swaying to the music the beat begins to pick up slowly... that song has more energy than any other that I know. Its on the Swing Kids soundtrack.

Estee - We must dance someday, I warn you though... I like to do the flips and aerials n such.

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Hey COMF, just listened to Veronica Martell.... GREAT stuff man. I appreciate the linky! Within a few hours I will have a geocities site set up with a select choice of swing music for you all to listen to and d/l if you wish. Let me know what you all think!

• detective
    detective

Hey PR,
    I'm a Lindier. Savoy style, as it's the best- but I'm not biased, of course. Been doing it for seven+ years.
    Shoot me an email, if you like.
    Detective

Edited by - detective on 6 January 2003 13:55:40

Edited by - detective on 7 January 2003 9:43:4

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I luv 'Bei Mir Bis Du Schoen' that's a great cd and a great cut of 'Sing, sing sing'!!!!

Ven

It only helps me tell you how grand you ARRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit