"Demonized" Catholic

by finnrot 13 Replies latest jw friends

• finnrot
    finnrot

I work the night shift in the silicon valley (60 miles south of San Francisco) and as I took Mission College Blvd. offramp on my way to work, I happened to glance across the road at a huge statue of the Virgin Mary that is in front of the church near where I work.

The statue is completly silver and was beautiful and peaceful looking as it stood there brightly lit by the floodlight from below. As I was thinking to myself how beautiful the statue looked to me, the word demonized popped into my head. Talk about programming, I'll never ger this witness shit out of my head. I left the "truth" after 1975 came and went with a whimper but all that programming is still firmly stuck somewhere in my brain.

By the way, it looks like I'll need to convert to Catholicism as soon as possible. My fiance in the Philippines has informed me that in order to marry her in a church that I have to be baptised as a Catholic. We were making plans to marry in May, but this throws a monkey wrench into it. Are there any Catholics or ex-Catholics out there that can tell me how long it takes to get baptised? Are there any tests or special requirements? Can I just to to my local Catholic church and get a quicky baptism?

-fin

• Celia
    Celia

you probably will have to have a few sessions with a priest and go over some questions and the cathechism... but I don't know for sure... My father had to get baptized catholic when he was 30 years old, so he could marry my mother, but that was in the early 50s, and in France, in a village where 99 % of the population was catholic and every single one of them attended church.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Strictly speaking I'm pretty sure you don't have to, but a local parish priest may ask you to, particularly those of the old generation or 'third world' (for want of a better term) - generally with the children in mind - i.e. that they will be brought up catholic, and the comfort of the spouse.

The norm for adults is to undergo a "rite of christian initiation" short course in what it is that your actually going to be joining.

There's not really a "Quicky Baptism" - if your not getting baptised in your own mind then there's hardly any point to it.

It is interesting though, to go through such an old / ancient ritual - they've got oil and stuff - you'll see I suppose, if it's anything like the way things are done here.

Pretty sure you don't have to - to be married in a catholic church that is.

1635 According to the law in force in the Latin Church, a mixed marriage needs for liceity the express permission of ecclesiastical authority. In case of disparity of cult an express dispensation from this impediment is required for the validity of the marriage. This permission or dispensation presupposes that both parties know and do not exclude the essential ends and properties of marriage and the obligations assumed by the Catholic party concerning the baptism and education of the children in the Catholic Church.

paduan

• Robdar
    Robdar

Nope, unless things have changed, you cannot get a quicky baptism in the Catholic Church. You will have to study the Catechism with a priest. But you may not have to be baptised again. I may not be recalling correctly, it was about 20 years ago that I studied Catholicism but I seem to remember that the priest told me that if you were baptised as a witness in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, your previous baptism is acceptable. I think that you will be anointed with some sort of oil, though.

Then, after your conversion, you and your fiancee will still have to go through, I believe, 6 months of counseling and family planning with the priest before you can be married in the church. Better get busy!

Has your fiancee decided that she wants a church wedding? Would she be willing to be married elsewhere by a judge?

Let us know how it goes.

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 5 January 2003 7:43:58

• finnrot
    finnrot

Thanks for the info Celia. The Philippines seem to have taken to Catholicism like ducks to water in the last few hundred years, of course the rape and torture by the Spaniards helped speed up the conversion rate. The Philippines are nearly 90% Catholic. Of course Jeeteeh(my fiance) lives in Mindinao which is where the Muslim population reside. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the Abu Sayyaf has been known to kidnap and behead tourists. I've lost my heart to this girl but I really don't want to lose my head in the process.

-fin

• finnrot
    finnrot

Good info Paduan and Robdar. Thanks

• gumby
    gumby

Finnrot,

I charge only 29.95 to squirt both of you with a squirt gun , and you get 3 hell Mary's for free. I have a 50 mile radius I cover and it's a buck a mile after that. Deal?

BTW....living in "silicon valley" explains your pic of your profile

• finnrot
    finnrot

Robyn- She wants a big fairy tale wedding in a Catholic church.

gumby- LOL, I love my profile pic. And thanks for the offer but I'll be the only one squirting Jeeteeh.

Paduan- I believe that you live, you die, and then the worms eat you. But I told my bride to be that I would attend church with her and raise our children Catholic. Who knows maybe I'll embrace Catholicism. I never say never.

-fin

• gumby
    gumby

Who knows maybe I'll embrace Catholicism. I never say never.

.....And then my friend.........we would all have to shoot you!LOL

• Robdar
    Robdar

Fin,

When I said that you would have to go through marriage and family counseling with the priest, I was only going by what my American Catholic friends who just got married had to do. It may be different in the Philippines.

I understand you not wanting to lose your head as well as your heart, but is there any way for you to go there to talk with her priest to see what is required of you both? In which country do you plan to be married?

Just curious, and wishing you both the best.

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 5 January 2003 8:14:50

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit