Should Christians Expect Divine Protection?

by Kenneson 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

This is one of the current topics at http://www.watchtower.org ;

We are told that sometimes Jehovah intervenes for his people and sometimes he doesn't. I'm wondering if this is a shift in thinking or whether Jws have always believed this. Could the beheading of the 2 brothers and the capture of the 4 sisters in the Philippines have prompted this response?

Interesting comments brought out in the article include:

"We have to accept the reality that bad things will happen, even to faithful servants of Jehovah."

"But when Jehovah chooses not to intervene, it should not be taken as a sign of his displeasure."

"May we have the confidence that no matter what trial or situation we face, Jehovah will provide divine protection for his faithful servants--either by removing the situation, by giving us the strength to endure it, or if we die, by resurrecting us to new life in his new world--Psalm 37:0,11,29; John 5:28,29."

• Kenneson
  • bay64me
    bay64me

That kind of thinking used to really wind me up.

A pioneer sister with no children or responsibilities apart from knocking on the doors of empty houses, would regularly declare how jehovah had provided this or that for her. She even said that jehovah had kept her husband in work and attributed this to her faithfulness

On the other hand, I knew of plenty of people, good, faithful and obedient, that had to live through and endure some of the most painful and sometimes horrifying circumstances.

It just dosn't weigh up!

• gumby
    gumby

God chooses to answer what prayers he deems fit!.............Hell......he can't lose!

I think I can honestly say with all the prayers for help I have asked for.......most did't happen.

Heres some examples:

God please let me know what truth is and let me know what it is you want me to do.(haven't heard nothin yet )

God please let my family escape from the WT ( their all still in )

God please protect me and my family this weekend.( had a bad accident that weekend ) and that's no shit.

God.....please make my dingy bigger....( it's still little ) Damn!

BTW,

To be fair to God......sometimes though I have wondered about some things that happened seemed to be a blessing in my life. I really DO hope their is a God who cares.

Gumby

• trevor
    trevor

Absolutely, I pay my taxes - and I don't expect Bush to let me down!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I do not see anything new in their current explanation. Basically, If you escape disaster you thank God , but if disaster strikes thats just bad luck!

"Should Christians expect God to rescue them miraculously in every case of impending disaster? The Bible record does not support such an expectation.

Of course, Jehovah God could choose to intervene directly in behalf of any of his servants. And if anyone believes that he has escaped harm by divine intervention, he should not be criticized. But when Jehovah chooses not to intervene, it should never be taken as a sign of his displeasure.giving us the strength to endure it or, if we die, by resurrecting us to everlasting life in his new world.Psalm 37:10, 11, 29; John 5:28, 29.

Appeared in Awake! April 8, 2002

Home | Beliefs | Future | Medical | Topics | Contact Us | Publications | Languages | Search | Index

Copyright 2002 Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. All rights reserved."

Reminds me of a talk I heard following the bomb in an Australian Kingdom Hall. A senior speaker of Circuit or District Overseer level . He tried to explain that it was all Gods will and He still protected them by not allowing it to be worse than it was . It did not make sense to me then either .

As someone said, they want it both ways.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Reminds me of a time they gave a talk at one of the meetings- They were saying as long as we stayed close to the 'truth" we would receive Jahs blessing & protection. Then some country( cant remember what one ) had a terrible tornado-many of the bro's & sis's run to the Kingdom Hell.

Guess what???? Yep! it was destroyed! some one lost their life>>>. The next meeting the Bro that gave the talk- said "Un forseen circumstances befall us all" He did feel bad about it.As to weather we should expect special care. ? I dont think we should.It will rain upon the righteous & Unrighteous-I think it is a good thing to pray for the LORDS hand to guide- lead & direct- I feel there has been times when God has "let me down" when my kids died- But I dont know why He allows these things-the Blotchtower ( I like that) says they died because they were not in the truth- some Christians say it is because my faith was not strong enough.. I say,Lord I am making an appoinment !! I would like to talk to you & ask a few questions regarding my life..Any time you would like to drag me in the net to where ever Jesus is.You said I would see him face to face>... I will really like some answers. Sir!!!

• blondie
    blondie

As 1975 approached, what did the WTS say when most JWs were expecting the end at any time?

Does Solomon, the writer of the aforementioned proverb, give us reason to expect divine protection from all physical harm? He said: "You will not need to be afraid of any sudden dreadful thing, nor of the storm upon the wicked ones, because it is coming. For Jehovah himself will prove to be, in effect, your confidence, and he will certainly keep your foot against capture." Does that not seem to be evidence that Jehovah God will not permit his loyal followers to be kidnapped or arrested during the "great tribulation"? We must not forget that Solomon wrote what he did, not with us of today in mind, but more pertinently for the benefit of those living under his kingdom. (Prov. 1:1-4; 3:25, 26) Viewing his words in that way, we appreciate that he was giving the Israelites advice that would help them to live upright lives and benefit them in daily living. In this way they would be kept from "capture." What kind of capture? Well, for instance, from the enticements of a prostitute who walks the streets in search of a victim. (Prov. 5:3-14) We can see that his words are excellent counsel for us too. But they are not an assurance that we will not be arrested, anymore than faithful Jeremiah was immune from arrest in Jerusalems "time of the end." (Jer. 37:15, 21) Nor can we expect that during the "great tribulation" some may not have to lose their lives for loyally upholding their Christian integrity, even as the apostle James lost his life. (Acts 12:1, 2) Nevertheless, we do have divine protection. How?

We have evidence that God is protecting us now as aclass. For instance, if such were not the case, we would have been wiped from the face of the earth long ago by Satan. Still, individually, some may die of old age and sickness during the "great tribulation" or, like our brothers in Malawi, from persecutions. Can we, in the face of such possibilities, still look to the future with confidence? Most assuredly! Jesus declared that the dead will hear his voice and will come forth in a resurrection.

The protection of us, as agroup, will continue right on through the destruction of Babylon the Great and the war at HarMagedon into the New Order.

Now every year, the WTS, emphasizes

w99 2/1 18 Our Treasure in Earthen Vessels ***

As a group, they would "come out of the great tribulation" alive, to inherit the earthly Paradise where "death will be no more."

w96 6/1 27 Gilead School Sends Out Its 100th Class ***

Jehovah guarantees divine protection of these representatives as a group during the time of the end.

w92 5/1 18 Who Will Escape the "Time of Distress"? ***

But we are assured by the Revelation prophecy that as a group the great crowd will come out of the great tribulation as the nucleus of "a new earth" society. (Revelation 21:1) Will you be there?

Blondie

Individual JWs interpret the WTS as teaching "individual" protection and the WTS does unofficially through the elders, COs and DOs.

Talking out of both sides of their @$$, woops mouth.

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH

"But when Jehovah chooses not to intervene, it should not be taken as a sign of his displeasure."

So, how does He do it? Choose, that is. Does he have a divine dart board? Dice? Flip a coin? Is there a criteria to be met, or is it just kinda Russian Roulette, only with somebody else's life?

Is that a stupid doctrine, or what? "Sorry about your only child burning to death in that bad auto accident, but hey, at least I saved that ninety-year-old elder who refused a bood transfusion last month!" You gotta love a god like that!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Just a thought, but I wonder if those unfortunate sisters taken captive by terrorrists in the Phillipines have been thinking along these lines?????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit