badly handled from Elders

by Olivia Wilde 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

wing commander. I see you feel rather strongly about this and other experiences.

I don't think you would do this, but I do get the "gist" of your feelings.........(.a touch of irony)

Therefore I can't slap a red sign against you......I really hope you are just expressing a verbal reaction though....ha!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ OliviaWilde...

Are you as good-looking as your namesake?

(Oh, and welcome.)

• Olivia Wilde
    Olivia Wilde

@Vidiot, actually I'm told by many that I'm very attractive & intimidating & that's why guys don't have the "courage" to talk to me

I do notice "sisters" not wanting me near them since I'm "threatening" according to them... but quite honestly I value more myself inside as a person, I'm usually referred by my family, non JWs as Spunky personality & goofy, but easy going & lover of right & wrong... i do workout & have an athletic slim body & my "clothing" has been an issue with "sisters" since they don't look the same on what I wear & judge me trying to "attract" attention a total mis-representation of the person I am inside.... i finally challenge an elder, when some complain" to show me proof on the bible that woman can't wear certain types of clothing, i always dress modest & just because certain things fit different on a size 2-4, me, than a 12 doesn't make it not modest of course after that he backed off even one elder during a meeting told me I should cover my legs, i was like What the Hell?... my response was "my skirt is below my knee & why are u looking at my legs?" (He is married), he just walked away.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Many people are jealous and intimidated by people who are attractive, they may try to say hurtful things to bring you down, it's called leveling, they want to bring you down to their level. They are also probably intimidated by your spunky personality. The organization is also not kind to single women, they don't really know what to do with a woman on her own, as they have no status unless they are married. It's a misogynistic organization, women are considered less important that men.

If you don't mind my asking, what is keeping you from leaving?

• Olivia Wilde
    Olivia Wilde
    @lisa rose what you say is perfectly explained as to what I'm experiencing, when u said about leveling makes perfect sense thank you for putting it that way..... i was married to a jw in my 20s, only dating & married within the yr of meeting, dating, etc...stupid decision really since it resulted in divorce within 5 yrs, i had a child, elders blamed me more for it, ignoring what my ex did to the marriage & me as his wife so I was the one to be DF, it was ok since I really didn't care at that time anymore.... i left him cuz he b came physically aggressive & didn't want my child to see that.... my ex hub parents are also JWS & they take, pickup & take care of my child while I'm working, he remarried & moved away so I depend alot of them babysitting or else I would have financial difficulties, gratefully they adore & love their grandchild & they are reasonable people & if i would disassociate u know what happens with that, they go to a different congregation but same hall & word gets around quickly... i can't depend on my family so that's why I keep going. ... i didn't go to mtgs for 3 weeks recently & not one elder call me to see if everything was ok with me, that in itself just made me pull away more...that's why I want my child to still have a relationship with the grandparents
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose
    That makes sense, you have to do what you have to do.
  • cha ching
    cha ching

Hi Olivia... Glad you are awakening, and hopefully, your child will awaken too.... Our family has left WT land in the last few years, but our children were older, in their 30's. I am so glad they are out, but didn't realize the damage JW teachings did to their lives.

Please make sure that your daughter is able to live a free life. Watching those Sophia and Caleb vids is so disconcerting. They will give her guilty feelings (should I buy an ice cream? maybe people will die if I don't give my money? I have learned that little kid psyche's go deeper and so many different ways than we can imagine!)

Grandma and grandpa provide a social structure, but remember they ARE JW's, and will ingrain the teachings into her head. My sister told her daughter "I think about running my car off the freeway overpass so that even if I die, you will live, because YOU didn't commit suicide, and will be resurrected into the new order"

Also, when visiting her granddaughter, she showed her a Caleb/Sophia film about Sparlock.... When my niece's daughter returned from a short visit, she started to sort thru her clothes, she was going to throw away all her 'My Little Pony' shirts, toys.... they "could be demonized."

My niece never would have known the indoctrination going on unless she had seen the effects on her daughter.

Read this link from a psychologist, Marlene Winell, to see the effects that living in a high control religious/or any group, can have on us and our children:

http://www.babcp.com/Review/RTS-Trauma-from-Religion.aspx

• smiddy
    smiddy

Welcome Olivia

You are not alone in what you have gone through and thankfully you have found TTATT ,I look forward to more of your comments and experiences.

smiddy

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ OliviaWilde...

A hot late-20s/early-30s mama, huh?

Nice.

Betcha there's a couple of local "brothers" who are wishing they'd made some different life choices...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Olivia Wilde - "I laughed for a second."

If you think that was interesting, wait 'til you get to the facepalm stage.

At that point, you may have to stop attending all together simply to avoid permanently injuring yourself.

:smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit