WT 2001 CD-ROM

by zev 35 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

So, we can use an ISO to enable others to download and burn a working version of the CD - cool!

We can also download the 2001 CD to our hard drives which I would assume means we can also upload it to some webspace where anyone else can download it for free - even cooler!!

Now, this is the tricky bit and Simon I apologise if you've already covered this but I'm a bit of a thicky when it comes to these things - can we upload it to say theOnlineWatchtower.com install a search facility and have the past 50 years of Watchtower propaganda open for scrutiny to all visitors?

Ignore the copyright issues for a moment, that's another debate, what I want to know is whether this is technically possible?

Nic'

• zev
    zev

i'd like very much to get my hands on a copy of a cd, or a iso image. either way.

i have broadband dsl, so the download is not and issue at all.

thank you.

• jws
    jws

I don't know about the integrity of the software without the CD. Can you install, then never need the CD again?

With the '99 CD, I (excuse me, somebody I know ) was visiting his sister with a laptop and merely copied the CD filesystem to his laptop when she didn't notice. Then, he transferred it over to a system with a CD burner and was able to make a CD that could then be used to install on other systems.

Such proof of a cult. I don't remember Jesus or the apostles stipulating that only believing Christians could read the scriptures.

Why hide it? As is evidenced by, I believe the 1/1/89 watchtower ("work completed in this century" quote), they do revise articles after the fact. One would expect a world exactly like George Orwell described in 1984, where researchers are constantly revising old documents to reflect present truth. Are they not doing this with the CD ROMs? Or would that be too much work, as only somebody who could reword it properly would be entrusted to do such a thing. So, only the writing department could approve a change. And there's way too many changes to make.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I am not aware of any differences between the content of the CDROM and the content of written material such as bound volumes (except for graphics, and placement of footnotes and charts). It would be suicide for the Society to make revisions.

I've been told that there have been revisions between single-issue Watchtower and/or Awake! magazines and the bound volumes, but the only instance I know of is the 1/1/89 WT. If anyone knows of any other instances, please post them.

AlanF

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi AlanF,

I wonder if you might comment on something.

"It has been said" that the search capabilities of the official WTS CDROMs is dumbed down - that there are some articles within the date range of the CD that the CD's search engine will not find.

Do you know if this is true?

• jws
    jws
    I am not aware of any differences between the content of the CDROM and the content of written material such as bound volumes (except for graphics, and placement of footnotes and charts). It would be suicide for the Society to make revisions.

Nor do I. I was merely speculating on what is so highly sensitive that only JWs should be allowed a copy. Granted, years of out-dated teachings and such and ammo for many of us to easily find it and point out these things.

The Kingdumb Ministry magazines are on there too, right? That's something they've only given out to publishers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit