WT 2001 CD-ROM

by zev 35 Replies latest jw friends

• SillyPutty
    SillyPutty

If you can load it onto your own computer, why not do so, then take the cd-rom to your public library so they can load it onto all their computers?

• SillyPutty
    SillyPutty

Farkel, the WT doesn't want the public doing their own research. Witnesses "have" to go door to door and talk to them.

• out4good3
    out4good3
    Please put me on the list of people who need a link to the ISO image.

Me too. In fact, if I get my hands on one, I'll be more than happy to upload an ISO to anyone who'se willing to host and share it.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

What's an ISO and how does it help to host the CD? Is it really possible to have a web front end for it?

Nic'

• Simon
    Simon

An ISO is a single file which is an image of the CD. You can get software that will make an ISO file appear like another CD drive for your system (useful for running CD software on laptops without having the CD player eating up battery life) or for running a CD that you don't actually have.

An ISO image makes sending a copy of a CD to someone else much easier - they download the ISO file and most CD Writing software will burn a new CD from this which is then a duplicate of the original. Voila ... a copy of a CD and you don't even have to pay for postage!

You can make limited copies of things under 'fair use' for critical analysis etc ...

It's pretty clear that they have released the CD because they 'have to' (there is demand and how would it look if their wonderful organisation couldn't keep up?) but they don't like doing it because they really want to sell magazines and literature a bit at a time. Also, they know that seeing 50 years worth of teachings with a click of a button makes it easier for people to lookup quotes etc... on apostate websites and see for themselves that things have been changed and covered up.

If it really was the message that they wanted to get out to as many people as possible then all the literature and each copy of the WT would be on the web for anyone to see. The fact that they are not clearly shows that they are soley concerned with sales and profit.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I have got it right that the 2001 CD-ROM does not contain Vol. 2002? Poor work.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

SillyPutty:

If you can load it onto your own computer, why not do so, then take the cd-rom to your public library so they can load it onto all their computers?

The new version can be loaded onto your hard drive in its entirety; it takes up about 500 MB, according to the documentation. However, libraries are public institutions, and would be likely to end up in hot water if they violated copyright in that way. Even if the likelihood of getting caught were minimal (which it isn't, since local JW's would be more than happy to rat them out), they probably wouldn't want to take the chance.

GermanJW:

I have got it right that the 2001 CD-ROM does not contain Vol. 2002? Poor work.

You have it right, for the most part. Magazines, Kingdom Ministries and other publications are included only through 2001. The only exception I can see is the new Ministry School textbook, which carries a publication date of 2002, and is included on the disk.

Edited by - NeonMadman on 5 January 2003 15:35:32

• LoyalLeon
    LoyalLeon

7. Do I have to return Watchtower Library 2001 to the congregation if I am disfellowshipped?

No, this only applies to elders who resign and return their copy of the Pay Attention book. You can keep your copy of Watchtower Library on CD. But you understand, that since you are no longer considered to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses, you may only use your CD again after the announcement of your reinstatement has been made to the congregation.

LL

• LoyalLeon
    LoyalLeon

Neonmadmaen: Happily they announced its release already at the 2001 DC 
  • Jim Dee
    Jim Dee

Gordy

Email me your address, I will post when I have the CD rom - (about 1 week after receipt)

email address is [email protected]

Jim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit