Did this ever seem weird to you?

by whyhideit 11 Replies latest jw friends

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

The Jehovah's Witnesses have been saying for years now that the end could happen at anytime. Yet when you want to become a Jehovah's Witness it takes about one to three years of studying to actually be allowed to get baptized. It seems to me that this would be like seeing a train about ready to hit someone and rather then push them out of the way, you first ask them if they know how to build a train and then explaining it to them in detail.

Just seems to send a mixed message of "the end time is near" and then "but we have plenty of time to get things planted in your mind before it arrives."

Did you ever think this was weird?

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

sorry, posted using wrong username

Prisca

Edited by - refiners fire on 4 January 2003 2:40:1

• Prisca
    Prisca

When the Knowledge book came out, we were told that it was designed to bring a person to the stage where they should be ready for baptism within 6 months. The Knowledge book replaced the red Paradise book, and the United in Worship book, which were until then, requisite in order to be baptised. To study them certainly took more than a year to cover.

Thus, the Knowledge book was designed to bring in new recruits sooner.

Also, we were told that if the study didn't want to be, or wasn't ready to be baptised, within those 6 months, then we were to stop the study, until s/he had sorted out whatever was stopping their progress to baptism.

Loving arrangement, eh?

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

But they just came out with a new united in worship book.

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

Maybe I am dating myself, but I never saw the majority working themselves into the organization within six months. There were a couple, but for the most part it took a year or more. Generally a person would study, quit, study, quit and then study to the point of baptism. Maybe if they did not wait so much, it would be possible to get finished up in six months.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

What seemed weird to me was when they switched to the one-hour-a-week-fer-five-and-a-half-months-an-yer-in plan.
    just seemed impossible to really know in that short a time what you were gettin' yerself into.

• Cassandra Cain
    Cassandra Cain

I dunno but I think the whole putting off baptizim is odd .. I mean It didn't take the ethopian unic long to get baptized did it? The whole testing 4 baptizem thing to me is a little odd.. I got turned down once all ready that was about 2 years ago.. and I studyd too *shrugs sholders* anywho thats all I have to say

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

Cassandra Cain,

I thought that too, and I read the Watchtower explanation on the subject. It never made much sense to me and yet I was a little shocked when I went to a Christian church after I left and the first thing they wanted to do was baptize me. I was thinking "you mean I do not need to study and read a book first?"

• Cassandra Cain
    Cassandra Cain

ooh and I have 1 more thing to say you make the comitment to Jah in your heart 1st and baptizim is to show to every body else what you feel in your heart and that u want to learn more... so shouldn't they baptize u and then start doing more serous studying 1st? U do have to know some stuff the unic was told some stuff 1st but he was baptized on the same day and I'm sure he learned much more after his baptisim...

~Cassandra~

• happy man
    happy man

This is the topic as I think we are on dangerus ways, the history show that it is not from the lord to tell when things happend, even if we must be awake. All we as have grown upp as JW now that we have been learnd that it is very near, it is like if you are on a buss and they told you shangri-la is behind next kurv and thay have say that fore 100 years, and that we can be sure about that, a very bad thing to do i think. I also tell in my answers in study when some use to tell how wery near we are, that we dont now this, it is not upp to us to now, and then i read from the bibel that not even jesus now this, i use to also tell some from our history, and ofcourse this disturb some, radher funny.

I hope GB focus on other things like how we can have a better life if we follow the bibel, and the hope we have to look forward to, this is what i do in service fore exampel.

HM

ps, one thing how can bee disturbing is how long can we say the end start 1914, soon we are 100 year from that, and we now thet satan was told when he was putt down to earth that he has only o short time left.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit