I Rolled My Eyes When...

by Iown Mylife 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Today as I had the old timey music playing and the song Love Potion No. 9 came on, i remembered being reproved by a brother at a get together when i sang along to that same song. OH that song is SPIRITISTIC, blah blah. The energy drained out of me as I thought, Great, another thing we can't do among thousands!

Nowdays I go looking for all the terrible sinful songs to sing with that I can possibly find. HAH!

Marina

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

The Monster Mash

Stairway to Heaven

Highway to Hell

Earth Angel

Happy Birthday

Silent Night

Devil with a Blue Dress

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Hey Marina, I remember the song too.

If the brother who counseled you is still alive he must be having a stroke now that worldly music is being sung/ danced to at KHs these days. Heck, Good ole' Pharell's "Happy" is the background for a Bethell ad.

As Dillan would say, "The Times, They are a Changin' "

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

About 20 years ago there was a congregation party given for the 8th grade and High school graduates. Among the fun and games kids did lip sinks and skits to various songs.

My son's friend dressed up like a Muppet and got in trouble for performing "Wild Thing" by the Troggs. He was only 12 or 13. What a stupid cult!

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Go for it Marina. Treat life and leaving the Org like an ammusement park when you were too small to be allowed on some rides. Now that you're free go and ride them all and the ones you love, ride again and again ...
  • 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    SecretSC, I like how you think.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    It's funny how serendipitous these memories can be. A simple song comes on the radio and BAM you're back in the witness world feeling guilty for a minute before remembering 'oh yeah, I'm free now!'
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

When I was a kid (many moons ago), the scrutiny got so bad in org, I actually lost my desire to attend any JW functions. Sometimes I would just briefly show up and leave. All we seemed to hear was..."the music is wrong/too loud, picking on kids clothes, hairstyles. Kids are going off together." The list goes on and on!

The scrutiny continued into adulthood: "Don't get married, don't have kids, no vacations, don't buy a home, no college, your clothes are inappropriate." Again...the list goes on and on. Who the hell wants to live like that? Man made rules.

It seems the org took all of the joy out of life. I don't want to take the joy out of my kids lives. This should be the BEST part of their lives. So glad we are OUT!

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    3rdgen: Thank you and likewise!
  • Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

YOU ALL ARE SO AWESOME and funny!!!

I'm so glad to hear you! Thank you♄

Marina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit