More Grammar Stuff

by ISP 23 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

Its fun trying to explain it all to the kids.....just try these 'plurals'.....

Box

City

Calf

Cheif

Dwarf

Valley

Echo

Piano

Deer

Worked out any rule?!

ISP

• Simon
    Simon

Rule 1: Buy a dictionary

Boxes

Cities

Calves

Cheifs

Dwarves

Valleys

Echoes

Pianos

Deer

How did I do ? What's the answer ?

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

Try splaining this word....Moot....originally it meant the opposite of what it now means. I just love this stuff!!

The adjective moot is originally a legal term going back to the mid-16th century. It derives from the noun moot, in its sense of a hypothetical case argued as an exercise by law students. Consequently, a moot question is one that is arguable or open to debate. But in the mid-19th century people also began to look at the hypothetical side of moot as its essential meaning, and they started to use the word to mean "of no significance or relevance." Thus, a moot point, however debatable, is one that has no practical value. A number of critics have objected to this use, but 59 percent of the Usage Panel accepts it in the sentence The nominee himself chastised the White House for failing to do more to support him, but his concerns became moot when a number of Republicans announced that they, too, would oppose the nomination. When using moot one should be sure that the context makes clear which sense is meant.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Moot is a wonderful word. I believe it goes back a considerable distance further than the 16th C. though Ruby. The Old English mot was a meeting of shiremen to discuss local business and disputes. Thus, if there was something that could not be resolved between two people, it was a "moot point", i.e. to be discussed at the moot.

Which all ties in nicely with the 16th century usage you've given.

Expatbrit

• AlanF
    AlanF

Language is an ever evolving thing.

These days, a lot of people seem to be confusing "mute" with "moot". I constantly hear people saying "that's a mute point". How do you correct this? Probably you shouldn't even try.

It's like the evolution of the expression "I couldn't care less" into the meaningless but common "I could care less". I suppose that's how idioms arise.

AlanF

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I am reminded of a thread begun by Forgetmenot in the past year. Its entitled "Why English is so hard to learn?" and is worth perusing here.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=21738&site=3

• manon
    manon

Simon wins the gold star.

Manon

• ISP
    ISP

Dwarfs is the correct plural for Dwarf!!!!

ISP

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

One of my biggest pet peeves is when folks use the word "irregardless" GRRR. Many newscasters even say that instead of "regardless".

Isn't it chief??

And....Simon was correct as well. Dwarves and dwarfs are both used as plurals of dwarf.

XW

• ISP
    ISP

Dwarves is an incorrect plural. (Check the opening remarks in the foreward to 'The Hobbit'!) Funny language! Theif and chief have plurals of theives and chiefs.

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit