SYN Goes To A Midnight Mass

by SYN 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• SYN
    SYN

Hi all, I finally got back from my psuedo-holiday (most of which was spent on my bed reading books, very relaxing!). During my pseudo-holiday, a certain friend of mine badgered me endlessly to go with her to a Midnight Mass at our local branch of the Anglican Type Christian Society. At least, that's what I think they're called. So, badgered, I agreed, and off we went.

This church was not very large. In fact, the resemblance to a Kingdom Hall was disturbing. However, the giant silver cross on the wall sort-of discounted any similiarities between this modestly appointed brick building and the last Hall I ever saw. Plus, there were giant felt angel things on the walls, which is a big no-no for a Hall, unless you want to get your ass disfellowshipped or something!

After having renounced all forms of religion ever since Proplog2's prediction that Armageddon would start on the 20th of December 2002 failed to be realized, I had vowed never again to pay any attention to Bible-spouting Fundamentalists. (Technically, Yours Truly is also a Bible-spouting Fundamentalist, although of a different sort. Kind of fight fire with fire sort of thing, if you get my drift...besides, I only spout the really funny bits of the Bible!) My heart and soul were eternally shattered when I was not devoured by small, rabid green budgies on the 21st of December, but I finally made it to this Anglican Type place purely by dint of doing a favour for a friend, who had no-one to go with her.

Now, said friend knows SYN quite well, and also knows that SYN is not a True Christian, well, not anymore (hehe). But, SYN promised to be quiet, upon pain of death by small, rabid, brightly coloured Australian birds (said friend has one of these lethal budgies in a cage at her home, which makes SYN terribly fearful for his sinful life), so SYN just sat quietly at the back of the church (out of sheer habit), and listened to the sermon.

As usual in all places of "worship", I was not allowed to ask questions during the service. Damn! Could have had some REAL fun if I'd been allowed to do that! *snark*

Unlike an average Meeting at a Hall, this meeting almost seemed slightly more interactive. By interactive, I mean that we got up and sat down a lot more. Roughly once every 30 seconds, in fact. I did that thing where I move my lips to the words of the music without actually singing, and I did it flawlessly (having had almost decades of experience doing it!), until my friend pinched me and told me to sing louder. Argh. This was when the "fun" started...

Other than the somewhat annoying singing of carols (half of which I knew, oddly enough), everything seemed to be on the level. The real fun only started when people began to "partake" of the body of Christ. The priest (a FEMALE PRIEST! shocking!!!!!!) began to bob up and down in front of a small saucer filled with bits of dried bread, almost causing Yours Truly to stand up and clap, but restraint was called for, so I sat and smiled, all the time hoping I could avoid the grape juice. My friend told me it was not wine, only grape juice, in case there were people who were from Alcoholics Anonymous there who might just be tipped over the edge by a sip of wine (I'm serious).

Well, at least religious people haven't lost their contorted sense of logic, that's for sure.

And then, before I knew it, people were lining up and "partaking", on foot, a very dynamic sort of partaking. Oh, there was another bit where everyone had to stand up and shake hands with everyone else. This presented some difficulty due to the exponential number of handshakes that would have been required, but Yours Truly neatly avoided this particularly hairy mathematical conundrum by quietly slipping out of the back of the Church, using Stealthy Slipping Out Of Church Techniques perfected during his Dub career. I was truly a master of slithering out of the back of Kingdom Halls when the approach of an Elder worried about my "progress" was imminent, and so this did not pose a problem. After moonwalking back into my chair (this is difficult, but rewarding if done right) to the astonishment of all the fervent handshakers who had seemed destined to engage their paws with mine, the service resumed.

Several prayers were said by the priest (I still can't get over the fact that she was a woman. My gHod!) and then we left. Simple. At the door, we had to give the little promotional brochures back, which was odd, and rather embarassing for me, as I'd folded mine 16 times, but the guy at the door seemed to appreciate the challenge of straightening it out.

Anybody else have any interesting Christmas "experiences"?

Best regards,
    [SYN], Newly Unholidayed Class!

• SYN
    SYN

Simon, what does "5awlgrEPBEsyVSDDhGBSmw" mean?

"Hi, I'm SYN, but they call me 5awlgrEPBEsyVSDDhGBSmw!"

"5awlgrEPBEsyVSDDhGBSmw here, could we get together for dinner sometime?"

"I'm a 5awlgrEPBEsyVSDDhGBSmw in real life!"

"Gently remove the 5awlgrEPBEsyVSDDhGBSmw from your nose. That's right. Pull it out."

"Every time I unscrew this 5awlgrEPBEsyVSDDhGBSmw, it explodes."

"If you apply a small amount of 5awlgrEPBEsyVSDDhGBSmw to your hair, you will look like Helen Hunt!"

"Unless you are a man, in which case we really don't know what you'll look like! Maybe like a male version of Helen Hunt! A sort of masculinized Prince for the 2000's!"

• Mackin
    Mackin

ROFLMAO @ SYN.

This post is forking hilarious SYN. My sides are hurting.

Mackin.

• Prisca
    Prisca

ROTFLOL!

I have to laugh at this, because I also went to an Anglican midnight "mass" (ok, it started at 11.30pm) and several things you observed I could relate to.

We had a male "priest" - I think they're called "Ministers" - who also happened to be an ex-JW! He lead the congregation in a relaxed but respectful manner, alternatively singing carols and members of the congregation reading Bible passages.

And at the end, everyone turned to each other and wished everyone a merry Christmas. A strange but friendly practive, nontheless.

Earlier that evening, a Christmas pageant was held for the kids, complete with a "birthday cake for Jesus" and the usual trappings of a birthday party (no joke, even candles on the cake!!).

Once I get strike9 to work properly, I'll post some pics.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Prisca -- if strike9 causes too many difficulties, I've heard that http://fotopic.net is much easier to use.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Thanks Gopher

I've been trying Strike9 again and still having problems, so I'll try the site you suggested.

• Xena
    Xena

And we thought we would never use those "skills" we learned as a JW again, huh SYN???? lol sounds like you had a very uuummmm interesting Christmas I went into a church recently for a wedding, the bride appointed me Maid of Honor and my daughter flowergirl. (I think this was to ensure we would attend) It was somewhat creepy and smelled funny (the church not the wedding or bride)....but the minister was real nice and the marriage ceremony was so SHORT! That's the way it SHOULD be!

Nice to see you back posting 5awlgrEPBEsyVSDDhGBSmw....

Pris I gotta ask....How many candles???

• SYN
    SYN

Yeah Xena, the church I went to smelled OK. And hey, at least there was no little "Witness Advertising Section" during the sermon. Don't you hate it when the Dubbies turn a wedding or a funeral into Field Service???

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

You could send me the pics, Pris - I could put them on my site and send you the url...

You coming to my Birthday party, BTW?

• donkey
    donkey
    So, badgered, I agreed, and off we went

...if we created a large wooden badger....

Syn, next time remember to "run away! run away! run away!"

Jack

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit