Where were my true friends?

by hannibal 11 Replies latest jw friends

• hannibal
    hannibal

This time of year many reflect on the past ands to come in the future. I Got to thinking

of some of my friends i had growing up as a Jw. Going to school as a jw, your told 'your

true friends are at the hall, those kids at school are not your true fiends.'I still had many

'worldly' friends throughout high school, put that friendship started and ended with

ring of the bell, since extra caricular activities we not allowed.And going out and doing

something with a 'worldly' kid wasnt going to happen. So when school was done,

friendships were done. In the meantime many of my 'true friends' at the hall were

getting Dfed or leaving and those friendships were lost as well. For what? Fast-

farward 10 or so years, and being inactive for about 3 years most friend i had at

the hall dont associate with me becuase i guess i'm one of those 'worldly' guys

now.(but thats all my fault, i guess) On the other hand i ran into a dozen or so i went to

school with, all good friends still. How quickly a friend can come and go as a Jw.

It really is so sad how a bunch of men can label someone- 'worldly' , 'DFed', 'inactive'

what ever, and so many lives and friendships are involved. I'm so glad my friends

now are built on a solid foundation and not based on labels.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Where were my true friends?

One of them- checking in

(((((((((hannibal)))))))))))

XW

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

here at the board!

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

another, just checking in!!

Do you know any Radiohead??!? heehee

• hannibal
    hannibal

XW,

You are the best and i look forward to see ya this weekend!

PS, how do you go back and edit your own post? I just reread what i posted- typos.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have thought about this exact thing many times. I must admit, it is wonderful having friends outside the WTS who will be there regardless of whether I go to meetings or not, and that I can be myself around them.

One thing I have to remind myself, is that close friends that I had during the WTS time, some of them were true friends. But, they have the WTS to answer up to. Remember, they feel as though the WTS is God talking, and when the WTS says that you cannot associate with the df'd or da'd ones, they really believe that is what God wants. And that scares them into doing what the WTS says to do.

Many of our friends, who really were friends, did, and do still care. They just feel as though they cannot do anything about it. Because of that, I do not judge them. I hope one day that they will see the light. Until then, not so much I can do.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Hanni- to edit your post- there is a pencil and piece of paper icon in the upper right corner. Click on it and you'll be able to edit.

REMEMBER THOUGH- you have to enter your name and password again to edit it. I forgot to do that a couple of times and it wouldn't take

Looking forward to seeing you too!!!

XW

• moreisbetter
    moreisbetter

Reflecting on friendships. Right off the bat I will say I never had any true friends at the Kingdom Hall. I truly wish I could remember one person at the KH that I could call a friend today. To be fair, I did know some really nice, sweet folks that were acquaintances.. I didn't keep up with them after I left. Unfortunatley, they were treated like crap too. They didn't keep up with me either.

Where were my true friends? I didn't meet her until Feb 97. She knows everything about me. She introduced me to my other true friend in May 99. He knows 95% of what she knows and a few things she dosen't lol, (but he's another story lol!). However, they are not now & never were JWs., therefore they don't have the JW frame of referrence. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but something is missing.

Commonalty, history, vocabulary.........

After joining this board a few weeks ago, perhaps I've found it. I have had several conversations with a person from here via telephone; . For me, it seems like we've known each other forever. She kindly connected me with a person, also from this board, that is connected with my JW past. I first talked to him on the phone for 2 hours. I accepted an invitation to his home on Xmas where I spent another 2 hours. With the exception of my aforementioned friends above, I have never experienced such warmth, hospitality & acceptance like I did in his home.

Where were my true friends? Perhaps they were waiting for me to leave JWland. I hope I've found many here. I hope I'm their friend too.

Edited by - moreisbetter on 2 January 2003 3:29:33

Edited by - moreisbetter on 2 January 2003 3:31:58

• Mac
    Mac

More,

Glad to hear that things are coming together for you.

mac

• mouthy
    mouthy

Raising hand......Mouthy would like to be a friend also...>>>> no conditions!!!! Honest

Except you have to do everything I say O.K.?

Edited by - mouthy on 2 January 2003 12:50:44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit