2015 Regional Convention (Cleveland, Ohio) - No accounts report read? No video about abuse?

by My Name is of No Consequence 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

I went to the convention this past weekend in Cleveland with my wife and son. I did not want to go, but I went. Most of the session was the status quo, but here are some of observations that I believe are worth noting:

1. I did not see a lot of “jw.org” advertisements and the website was not mentioned a whole lot during the session. Perhaps the jw.org mania has died down a bit?

2. On Friday, there were only about 5,500 in attendance. I remember in years past how the attendance was 7,000+ even on Friday in Cleveland. Maybe it has to do with the shuffling around of circuits. Or maybe, less people are going.

3. There were A LOT (and I mean A LOT) of videos and very few live experiences and demos. I noticed this trend last year at the international convention in Detroit.

4. No live action drama? C’mon.

5. There was no accounts report read. I repeat: There was no accounts report read. This must be something new. BTW, my wife wanted to donate with a credit card during the program and the a-hole attendant told her to wait until the program concluded. Guess what? She did not wait and we left. I told her that we need that money more than the org does.

6. I have read in pervious threads that a video geared toward children was shown at the convention. Its message had to do with keeping children safe from abuse. No such video was shown at the convention I went to.

I would love to hear from people that were there or people that would like to comment.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Dammit! We missed our Reg Conv.

There will never be another live drama. With the video, only one team has to practice for weeks in advance and it can be edited and tweaked for weeks ahead of it's 1st release at the 1st Conv.

There has never been an accounts report at Dist Conventions. Only at Cir Assms where there is always a deficit. Dist Conv (I believe) are hugely profitable at most venues they rent and I think they'd like to keep that quiet.

Doc

@ DesirousOfChange:

There has never been an accounts report at Dist Conventions.

Are you sure about that? I remember accounts reports being read for all conventions. Are they even still read at regular meetings?

• sir82
    sir82

I don't ever remember an accounts report at a district convention.

They read them at every circuit assembly, but I don't recall ever hearing one at 40+ years of DCs.

I guess I never paid enough attention.
  • cappytan
    cappytan

DOC is right. They don't read accounts reports at conventions.

However, at our's over the weekend, they did have an announcement about the "opportunity for all to express their generosity at the various contribution boxes and debit card stations throughout the facility."

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    It's true, after you learn ttatt you pay WAY more attention to details! But yeah they never had an accounts report at the DC.
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    We did not have an account report in our RC in Texas either
  • Gayle
    Gayle
    How many baptized?
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Sorry to spoil your thunder but there is never aan accounts report at RCs, the abuse video was on I believe the July broadcast.

Also, sorry you had to sit through that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit