Just Had My Elder Visit

by Undecided 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Hi Blondie:

Can the elders count their time when they call on inactive ones?

According to the letter that was dated November 7, 2002 (available on Mulan's thread "Does anyone have the letter?") it does say that when a study is started with an inactive person, time, return visits and the bible study can be counted. I'm sure the initial contact calls are done while out in service anyway, so they would just keep counting their time.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=43052&site=3

Nice to know the WTS has to dangle the time carrot in front of them in order for us to be considered worthy of a visit. <GAG> <HURL>

Love, Scully

edited to add link

Edited by - Scully on 31 December 2002 15:8:8

• JH
    JH

I think that accepting a study from them, is like puting them back in the driver's seat. Accepting a study is like admitting that we are weak and need more programming. We are not weak, we found the truth and we are hurt.

Edited by - jh on 31 December 2002 15:49:50

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Perhaps we can offer them a study.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Here are some of the points I mentioned. Counting and recording time spent in service. Why literal 144,000 number when the rest is symbolic? Why isn't the number of anointed falling more that it is? Where was the governing body when Russell started the new movement? Why didn't Christ use Jehovah's name if he was here to vindicate it? Why do we have to go through the FDS to Christ? Where in the scriptures did it say 1935 was the end of the anointing and everyone else was to be earthly? The other sheep was clearly the gentiles, not a seperate class of Christains. Why did God make all the germs, viruses, parasites, why couldn't he just let manking grow old and die, didn't seem like a loving God to me to make us suffer. Why did he change so much from the Israelite God to the Christain God, like permitting multiple wives, salvery, killing everyone who disagreed with his religion?

There were no real answers, just the same old programed, cult inspired BS.

Ken P.

• JH
    JH

• TR
    TR

• Roddy
    Roddy

Musky >>I assume the elders use the latest in technology when finding people. I once asked if I could transfer my own records to my new hall.<<

If so, then would the elders will be SO STUPID to foot the bill for these technological services? I doubt it. Will this come out of the congregation's general funds? Why not? If so, will the congregation be informed? Will the congregation know what these expenses are and why they were used? Or will it be sneaked through without mention?

If the elders would use technology, you had better believe that the WTS will not pay for the elders to do it from WTS money. And you better believe that the WTS will be watching the congregation's donations for any significant or protracted drop in the usual amount sent in.

• musky
    musky

Roddy, First of all, I haven't seen you post here before, so welcome. As stated in my post I "assume" this technology is being used if needed by the watchtower. I can only speculate on this. I do know that the average witness gives a lot of there own money for: time in service, gas, car maintenance, etc. If the elders can't find a person, its probably no huge deal. Its just that they will likely give it a good try first by whatever means they feel they need to. but??? It is not my intention to get people worried that elders will definitely hunt people down no exceptions.

• jws
    jws

Several comments here...

First off, I live 1000+ miles from my last congregation, so we'll see how determined they are. I told my father of the announcement at the elder meeting to seek out the inactive ones. He got uncomfortable, probably because I know such a thing (he's not an elder anymore), and said he wasn't aware of that. I asked him to let me know whether anybody was looking for contact info on me and he's agreed to do so. Since my dad is, was, and seemingly always will be very regular and active, he would be a logical first step towards finding me and my brother without having to employ searches that cost money. My brother, who still lives in the area, called in some contractors to estimate some work in his house. It was 2 of our old elders. So they know where he is.

As for how far they will go..., well, I wouldn't put it past some enterprising young elder to subscribe to online services just for the fun of playing detective and tracking somebody down, using his own resources and money. After all, that sort of thing can be a lot more fun than filling out service reports. And actually, it isn't even that hard to do for free. Something like US Search lets you plug in a name and approximate age and shows you cities, but you have to pay to get the details. But, once you know the city, nine times out of ten, they're probably listed in the local white pages (or online white pages) and that's all it takes, without paying for expensive searches.

As far as publisher records go, I've seen various reports. Some say indefinately, others say something like 7 years after the person has gone inactive, they get tossed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit