LETTING GO

by Gig 13 Replies latest jw friends

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger
    hate what the WT does to what would otherwise be really good people. It makes them distrustful, it makes them elevate themselves above others, it makes them try to shoe-box God's love into what only they are worthy of having, it makes them deny their own God given talents and abilities, it keeps them from doing what the Bible says to do: love.

I don't believe I've ever seen it surmised in such a way - this is it in a nutshell.

At least you may have the comfort of knowing that you gave it your best shot. I don't believe this girl really knows what a true "christian" and loving person she had in her life - there are few people that would've done what you did for her (and yourself).

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Gig,

Two years isn't such a long time - it's how long it takes to earn an Associate's Degree in a Community College. Think of the many who have spent 4, 10, 20, 50 or more years actually "doing" the WTS dance, not just learning it!

It is evident that you have learned well during your undergraduate course in Contemporary American Cults.

I have a feeling that this knowledge, now clearly so much a part of you, will find modes of expression that will only benefit you and those you share it with.

Now, get outa here, and get on with your life!

If you want to stop by from time to time, please do. You were ALMOST one of us. The first step to becoming an XJW is baptism.

Go in peace!

• Realist
    Realist

Gig,

your post could be as well from me. i too fell in love with a JW girl...and it took me 2 years too to let her go. its so sad and frustrating to loose a love because of such an idiotic religion...

so i can feel with you!!!!!

Realist

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Oh Gig, ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

Your words brough tears to my eyes and really tugged at my heart. You are a sincere person, who has been trying to do the right thing.

You did what many of us have been unable to do in the past, and that is to rise above the emotions of romantic love, and face the real facts. Do you know how fortunate you are? You came so close to giving up "yourself" for another person, because of a religious organization.

You speak words that remind me of just how the WT works on people and pulls them in to place. I'm certain you have probably already spoken to the lady about your feelings, and tried to reason with her. Perhaps she has been in since birth, or has many family members there. It's so sad to leave behind someone you love. Perhaps that's why JW's teach their young people not to become involved with "worldly" people, because there is a tug of war, and usually, it goes the other way. The "outsider" ends up pulling the "faithful little JW" out. This is what makes your situation unique. Can you imagine what life would have been like, married to her?

I'm extremely happy for you. I realize it hurts and it will take time to heal. You have made the right decision for yourself. In the long run, when you look back on all of this, you will be glad you were strong and did your "homework" BEFORE you got in deeper.

It makes me think that JW's should really encourage people to study any and all the material written by those not a part of the WTBTS. before they get baptized, so that the person getting baptized will have made a decision based on the well-rounded information from all avenues. Some people like to be led along like mindless drones. Most of us don't. There would still be those who would go ahead and become baptized members, because even with all the information, that is really what they want. But, freedom of choice and unconditional love should always be present without punnishment, labeling, shunning or abandonment. The JW's could make their organization so much more appealing and loving, if they could only see these things. But those in control desire power and manipulation, and that is their motivation.

Keep us informed about how you are doing. Sometimes a real change of scenery can work wonders. Take a trip by yourself to rest and relax; and make some personal goals. The pressure is off now. You are free, with your whole life ahead of you.

You are very welcome here!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit