Bring the draft back? I fear for our sons..

by LyinEyes 43 Replies latest jw friends

• IronGland
    IronGland

Even if they were to reinstate the draft, the odds of a draftee finding himself anywhere near the actual fighting would be rather small. The vast majority of draftees in WW2 for example, drove trucks,served food, were mechanics etc. They weren't all storming beaches ala Saving Private Ryan. If I remember correctly, out of the 10 million or so draftees in WW2, only about 800,000 ended up in combat divisions.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Gerard,

I didn't know Kofi Annan set US foriegn policy. I also didn't know he had the US best interest at heart, seems to me he thinks his job is to avoid war at all costs. BUT What does his inane comments have to do with the topic of this mythical draft that won't happen?

Realist,

You're cynical, the rich will get rich come war or peace, it doesn't much matter to them, EXCEPT that war interrupts trade. Your arguements are old, tired and useless. I, as a soldier, am doing my job for love of country and family, this is why most of us are here in fact.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    You're cynical, the rich will get rich come war or peace, it doesn't much matter to them, EXCEPT that war interrupts trade. Your arguements are old, tired and useless. I, as a soldier, am doing my job for love of country and family, this is why most of us are here in fact.

Yerusalyim, I believe Sadam has to be taken care of, either now or later...as he is a sort of a Hitler in incubation. But your remarks bove bring about a strong impresion that you are willing to die to keep the rich rich? You are willing to trade your blood for oil? Put your thoughts in place:

I posted Kofi Annan's remarks as an update to the dicussion but now I disagree with you. His intentions are not not stupid but just. A fact blind warriors do not comprehend. And yes, that is his job, keep peace but authorize war when needs required it...as when HUssein invaded Kuwait. If Sadam Has no weapons of mass destruction then Bush shall have the balls to say a "unilateral preemtive strike is the only way to ensure our safety" instead of putting on the white hat on and saying "the World and the UN want us to do them a favor and bomb Bagdad."

Besides, open your eyes, the picture of Iraqis dancing in the streets as the Americans liberate Baghdad is a beguiling one. That might be the first reaction from their opressed classes. But would it last? Do the visionaries in Washington really believe that a democratic Saudi Arabia or Bagdad would love America more?

I respect the U.S. armed forces when they fight for a just cause, I just do not like the President to pussy-foot around his real motivation. Think Viet-Nam. Think Korea. If only when your government call it as it is, who knows, you may get more volunteers. Cheers,

Gerry

• Realist
    Realist

Yeru,

cynical? how so?

i don't question your personal motives...but they are based on a lie which you unfortunately believe in.

my arguments are old and unfortunately remain unheared by most americans but they are still based on facts.

you should think again about what you risk your live for my friend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit